Texas Hunting Forum

Can anyone ID this snake?

Posted By: Dragonuv

Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/29/14 11:40 PM

Being the good son that I am, I went to Cisco to powerspray the exterior of my parents house. This little guy was between the concrete a/c pad and the foundation. He was beige/coffee creamer color and about 1/2"-3/4" in girth and about 4-4.5' long. He never showed any aggressive tendencies and didn't seem in too big of a hurry to get away. We couldn't find it in any of his snake identification books.
Sorry the pic quality isn't all that great. Thanks!

Posted By: taxidermistmark

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/29/14 11:41 PM

Coachwhip
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 12:56 AM

Yup, coachwhip
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 02:00 PM

Well played leaving it be. Cool snakes that eat mice and rats. up
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 02:04 PM

Thanks guys! He got to live because of what I learned on this forum from other snake posts. I remembered what someone wrote about the round-eyed snakes vs the slit-eyed snakes. He had the round eyes so he got a free pass. I appreciate y'all's help.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
Thanks guys! He got to live because of what I learned on this forum from other snake posts. I remembered what someone wrote about the round-eyed snakes vs the slit-eyed snakes. He had the round eyes so he got a free pass. I appreciate y'all's help.

Well played!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 02:14 PM

Coachwhip - non-venomous and beneficial - but I wouldn't try to pick him up; have a mouth full of tiny teeth that can be painful if bit.
Good call on letting him be.
I too used to be a 'KESIS' till I learned these 'good' ones can also eat the 'bad' ones (especially the 'bad' young ones and their eggs)!!
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 02:25 PM

Yup, Mouse Catching Coachwhip. Cool Snakes and very fast when they wanna move.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean
.. Cool Snakes and very fast when they wanna move.

. . . AND they can climb trees faster than a three-armed monkey - especially to a branch hanging right over you; don't ask me how I know . . .
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

. . . AND they can climb trees faster than a three-armed monkey - especially to a branch hanging right over you; don't ask me how I know . . .

I wont ask you how you know but I would like to see the video...
Posted By: JCB

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 08:23 PM

Cool Snakes and very fast when they wanna move.

You got that right about being fast!!! I have probably seen two dozen of them in my life and only one of them stuck around long enough for me to blast him with my shotgun. flame
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/30/14 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Tried to catch one a couple of years ago to show my daughter when we were dove hunting. He moved as I went to grab and I snagged him about 8" behind the head....I got bit 12 times before I let go, and then I did it again bang

Really cool snakes, very fast and yes...they can climb a tree in a blink of an eye
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Can anyone ID this snake? - 07/31/14 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Cool Snakes and very fast when they wanna move.

You got that right about being fast!!! I have probably seen two dozen of them in my life and only one of them stuck around long enough for me to blast him with my shotgun. flame
macho man
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum