Texas Hunting Forum

Old Confederate Cemetery

Posted By: SapperTitan

Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:22 PM

These are a few pics I took of an old Confederate cemetery where my Great Grandparents, Grandpa, Mom, and brother are buried. This place creeps me out at times because of the huge oak trees with moss hanging down and the fact it is pretty close to a lake. This cemetery and the history surrounding it is very cool and one of many historic places around my home town.

Original settlers

Big old oaks

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:25 PM

coolpics
flag
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:28 PM

Where is that cemetery located? I'm in the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Waco, and we do a lot grave research in and around Central Texas.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:28 PM

Neat I luv history stuff like that wish I could go dig on that Indian camp for arrowheads
Posted By: Western

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: jdickey
Where is that cemetery located?

The 1st marker says Pasco County Florida?

I remember that moss when I was a kid, stuff is everywhere in the SE. Cool photos and HUGE trees!

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jdickey
Where is that cemetery located? I'm in the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Waco, and we do a lot grave research in and around Central Texas.
It is located in Pasco county Florida. Between Dade City and Brooksville.

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:41 PM

A little more info on the Church and Cemetery

http://www.fivay.org/townsend_house_church.html

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue
Neat I luv history stuff like that wish I could go dig on that Indian camp for arrowheads
We have found arrow heads all over Pasco county Florida the whole area was full of Indian tribes. My uncle has found a few he sold for over a thousand dollars. Bt while I was home my cousin told me they just passed some new laws on indian artifacts and it is a federal crime if they can prove you found an artifact in water or something like that. I guess they frown upon selling them as well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:46 PM

up
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 07:48 PM

Cool
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 08:02 PM

very cool.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: sallysue
We have found arrow heads all over Pasco county Florida the whole area was full of Indian tribes. My uncle has found a few he sold for over a thousand dollars. Bt while I was home my cousin told me they just passed some new laws on indian artifacts and it is a federal crime if they can prove you found an artifact in water or something like that. I guess they frown upon selling them as well.

Where you are station at there are a lot of them but there off limits for digging or even picking them up

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 08:12 PM

Yeah I know but I've never even seen one while out walking around on Hood. I guess u gotta know where to look.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 08:14 PM

Neat pic's.

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 11:06 PM

By the way Coolie I didn't see any ghosts. LOL
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/29/14 11:47 PM

cool photos
Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/30/14 01:56 PM

Cool photos Scott. I hope you are enjoying your trip back home. up
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/30/14 03:12 PM

Awesome pics i love seeing this kind of stuff post more if you have them please! up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/30/14 04:44 PM

Great history!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/31/14 02:11 AM

cheers
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/31/14 12:28 PM

coolpics
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 07/31/14 04:55 PM

outstanding
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 08/02/14 03:56 PM

Nice job on the history and pictures Scot. Glad to see you spending some time back home.

When I saw this picture I thought, I have seen this tree in a movie about some people in Florida. I am sure it is same tree and even same angle. Don't remember the name of movie off hand.

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 08/02/14 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
Awesome pics i love seeing this kind of stuff post more if you have them please! up
There are a lot of cool historical sites around where I grew up but this was the only one I visited while home. One of the cooler sites is Dade Battle Field. The story went something like 107 US soldiers were ambushed by Native Americans and all but I think 2 US soldiers were killed. Here is a link for your historical reading pleasure.

http://exploresouthernhistory.com/dade.html
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 08/02/14 04:11 PM

Thanks for sharing those great pics!
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Old Confederate Cemetery - 08/03/14 12:01 PM

Cool pics. My MIL lives in Ormond Beach....there are old Indian settlements in Tomoka S.P. and even Civil War era molasses plantations nearby. Old Kings Highway still can be seen as a pathway in the woods in some areas of east Florida. I love history. Next time I go there I'll take pics and post. Your pics were cool and thanks for sharing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum