Texas Hunting Forum

USVI & BVI Trip

Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 01:03 PM

Mrs. Goldstein and I just got back from a little over a week in the islands. Had a great time, and wanted to share a few pictures. We stayed at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef in St. Thomas, and also visited St. John, as well as the British Virgin Islands.

If I plan vacations, I usually schedule at least 1 day of fishing. We went out chasing Blue Marlin with Ocean Surfari on their 48' boat called Free Spool. I caught a 400 lb Blue, and Mrs. Goldstein had another good one pulling line for a couple minutes without stopping. He eventually broke off after stripping 80% of the line off the reel. We didn't get any good pictures of my catch, as he was still fighting us trying to get him to hold still beside the boat.

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 01:07 PM

View from our back patio

Cruise ship coming to port

Paradise Point

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 01:16 PM

Magen's Bay, St. John

Played golf at Mahogany Run featuring 3 holes on the water names Devil's Triangle

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 01:17 PM

Most of our other pictures are on Mrs. Goldy's phone. Also not sure why some are turned sideways. I am no technology expert.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 01:24 PM

We done Goldy!!!!!!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 01:33 PM

Great pics. Looks like paradise. Congrats on the nice marlin. up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 03:05 PM

Great pics.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 03:08 PM

Awesome. Sucks you didn;t get a good picture of your Marlin. Sounds like a great trip though
Posted By: duckbill

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 05:02 PM

Glad you had a good trip Goldy. Did you spend any time over at Jost Van Dyke or do any snorkeling?
Posted By: Payne

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 05:05 PM

Looks like a great time
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 05:11 PM

Heck of a vacation. Must be nice to have a lady who likes fishing. up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 05:29 PM

Outstanding!!! Looks like you guys had a Blast Sir!!!

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill
Glad you had a good trip Goldy. Did you spend any time over at Jost Van Dyke or do any snorkeling?

We did a full day tour of the BVI that included the Baths at Virgin Gorda, lunch at Marina Cay (where the Pain Killer was orginated), Snorkeling at Diamond Reef, and a couple hours at Jost Van Dyke (home of the Soggy Dollar).

We also took our Jeep over to St. John, and snorkeled all over the island as we hiked and beach hopped.

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Mrs. Goldy loves to fish, but this was her last attempt at offshore fishing. 6 years ago we tried to spend a day offshore chasing Marlin in Costa Rica during our honeymoon. She got sea sick quickly, so I asked the Captain to head closer to shore and target species in calmer waters.

This trip, she was determined to give it another try. Unfortunately, she just doesn't ha the stomach for open water. I told her we could head back in early, but she would not let me. She knows how bad I wanted a Blue Marlin. She was pretty green for much of the day, but she fought through it so we could stay out. Mrs. Goldy is a trooper, and I am a lucky guy. However, she decided she will stick to bay fishing from now on, and I am on my own for open water trips.

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Mrs. Goldy loves to fish, but this was her last attempt at offshore fishing. 6 years ago we tried to spend a day offshore chasing Marlin in Costa Rica during our honeymoon. She got sea sick quickly, so I asked the Captain to head closer to shore and target species in calmer waters.

This trip, she was determined to give it another try. Unfortunately, she just doesn't ha the stomach for open water. I told her we could head back in early, but she would not let me. She knows how bad I wanted a Blue Marlin. She was pretty green for much of the day, but she fought through it so we could stay out. Mrs. Goldy is a trooper, and I am a lucky guy. However, she decided she will stick to bay fishing from now on, and I am on my own for open water trips.

I puke getting in the shower...never again 60 miles out and threw up my ring...OUT
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 07:31 PM

Who knew gingers could snorkel! Looks like a heck of a vacation Goldy, congrats on the Marlin. I'm gonna have to see a picture to believe it was 400lbs.

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 08:49 PM

Gingers snorkel with long sleeve shirts on, just like we fish.

I really wish I had better pictures, but those are the best I can do. Honestly, 40 lbs or 400 lbs, I really don't care. All I care is I caught my first Blue.
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN
Gingers snorkel with long sleeve shirts on, just like we fish.

I really wish I had better pictures, but those are the best I can do. Honestly, 40 lbs or 400 lbs, I really don't care. All I care is I caught my first Blue.

Thats pretty freaken funny right there Goldstein.. Thats cool you caught a blue, can't say I've ever caught one myself. fishing in pants and a long sleeve shirt has gotta suck though!
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 10:41 PM

Looks like an awesome trip! Congrats on the blue!
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 11:51 PM

Goldy, Mrs Goldy is still way prettier than you, even if she is green....

Nice pics.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/29/14 11:59 PM

Good times right there buddy up

Heck of a woman to stick it out when sea sick. I have never been sea sick, but the folks I have been with that were looked absolutely miserable.
Posted By: Stub

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/30/14 10:52 AM

Great looking trip their Goldy cheers And up up for the lovely Mrs. Goldstein for being a trooper!
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/30/14 03:00 PM

Looks beautiful. Congrats on the blues.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/31/14 02:54 AM

That looks like a great trip and congrats on the blue. That is a beautiful boat. Also congrats one the wife sticking it out, that is a keeper there! up

Walter
Posted By: Western

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/31/14 05:13 AM

Beautiful photos! I would be happy just getting a BM on, what a blast!!

Next time, see if the Mrs would try some ginger capsules, safe, natural and non-toxic. I have friends that don't get sea sick when they have those. Same friends use them for altitude sickness as well.

BTW, how was the course?

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/31/14 03:47 PM

Mrs. Goldy had Bonine, Ginger Pills, and Motion Eaze.

Course was pretty nice. I have played better for the same money. Toughest greens I have ever played on, fairways were mostly nice, and tee boxes were fine. The beautiful part was how the course was carved into the mountain. Holes 13, 14, & 15 are what are known as the Devil's Triangle. Those winds coming off the water will fool you.

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/31/14 05:56 PM

Yeah, I bet the layout was insane! I asked because that "T" box, looked well used, but didn't want to sound "negative" LOL.

I have a friend that has probably played that course, he has played several in the caribbean, said he prefers the ones on Maui, but those are crazy expensive. iirc he paid near $500 for 2 out the door (probably had a 6 pack on the bill if I know him and the Mrs LOL)

BTW, sounds like she had the full medicine cabinet!! just "aint" supposed to be I guess. grin

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/31/14 06:03 PM

Ginger Sminger....SMH

I did Ginger, dramamine, dramamine patch, ate like a rabitt didnt drink, kept my eyes on the skyline..etc etc...BS
Went 60 miles turned the key off and I projectile vomited in the Captains Chest..

Never NEVER again, NEVER NEVER

Irishmen are meant to have one foot on a hill a potatoe in one hand a Scotch in the other...I aint no Viking!!!

Re: USVI & BVI Trip - 07/31/14 06:12 PM

Scooter, probably the black pepper grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum