Texas Hunting Forum

Banded Turkey

Posted By: lmd59

Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 06:40 PM

This turkey appears to be banded. He is in Anderson County. Any ideas?

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 06:44 PM

Yeah it sure does. Very cool
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TooLow
Yeah it sure does. Very cool

rofl Something tells me you have some fat azz coons around your feeder
Posted By: lmd59

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 09:18 PM

I got fat azz coons all over the property. I just bought the property last October and this year will be the first I hunt for deer. I have a nice sized pond and two creeks on the property so I have quite a bit of wildlife. I started trapping the coons with much success. There is no turkey hunting in Anderson County so I was surprised to have a turkey on camera and even more surprised to see the band. Does TPWD band turkeys?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 09:26 PM

I think they band released birds.
Posted By: tuckerracing

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 09:42 PM

My lease is in Anderson County also and we have seen anywhere from 15-20 on camera and when checking feeders. TPWD set up traps to try and catch some so they could put a gps on them so they could get a good count on the bird population, but they did not have any luck. I think it will still be along time before you see a season on Turkeys in Anderson County.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 09:52 PM

I have seen a few at our place in Anderson county. If I recall correctly they were released in the area 15 years ago or so (for some reason I thinks SFA university was involved, not postitive though)

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 09:54 PM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/editorial/rebirth-of-the-eastern-turkey

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 09:55 PM

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-Outdoor/194...rn-wild-turkeys
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/28/14 10:06 PM

Ankle bracelet, probably on parole from Dallas or Harris county. up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 02:02 AM

Wimmins unit laugh

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 02:44 AM

nuts
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 03:18 AM

Likely part of 2014 NWTF & TP&W super stocking program. They are trying very hard to re-establish easterns. But, it will be many years be for a legal season.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 03:31 AM

Hey!!! So my name is Kyle Hand. I am graduate student at SFA working on the Eastern Turkey Restoration project. I tied the transmitters on all the birds released this year and I am currently tracking them to monitor nesting activity. I can tell you from this picture that this bird was released at Gus Engeling WMA by the color of her bands. There should be at least one band on the other leg as well.

This bird has an older style VHF transmitter instead of the newer GPS birds. This is a very cool find.

TPWD released over 240 turkeys on three properties from January to march. I was also involved in setting traps along the neches where we sucessfully caught and tagged 14 hens.

OP I'm PMing you to see if we can't meet up and see of there anre any more radiomarked birds near you.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 03:42 AM

Now that is just too cool Kyle...

Seeing the benefits of your restoration work from THF..

Congrats BD!
Posted By: rackjudge

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 03:57 AM

Yep pretty cool to actually see money going to good use!
Posted By: Western

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: RWH24
Now that is just too cool Kyle...

Seeing the benefits of your restoration work from THF..

Congrats BD!

Right!! Cool for the OP as well up

Wish they'd release some around me, along with quail and a few Horned toads. If BOOBOO (BOBO) grin "aint" looking, then they can turn out a herd of elk too up
Posted By: Western

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: lmd59
I got fat azz coons all over the property. I just bought the property last October and this year will be the first I hunt for deer. I have a nice sized pond and two creeks on the property so I have quite a bit of wildlife. I started trapping the coons with much success. There is no turkey hunting in Anderson County so I was surprised to have a turkey on camera and even more surprised to see the band. Does TPWD band turkeys?

What I think Pope& Young is referring too, as I saw it before the turkey as well, LOL, Is the "T" post position. Basically set on those legs like a coon ladder. Need to be driven in str8 down, about 1' or so, from where the leg meets the ground.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Lol

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ETX-Gobbler590
Hey!!! So my name is Kyle Hand. I am graduate student at SFA working on the Eastern Turkey Restoration project. I tied the transmitters on all the birds released this year and I am currently tracking them to monitor nesting activity. I can tell you from this picture that this bird was released at Gus Engeling WMA by the color of her bands. There should be at least one band on the other leg as well.

This bird has an older style VHF transmitter instead of the newer GPS birds. This is a very cool find.

TPWD released over 240 turkeys on three properties from January to march. I was also involved in setting traps along the neches where we sucessfully caught and tagged 14 hens.

OP I'm PMing you to see if we can't meet up and see of there anre any more radiomarked birds near you.

Makes sense, as my place borders Gus Engeling
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Banded Turkey - 07/29/14 05:40 PM

To which side ETexas?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum