Texas Hunting Forum

Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center

Posted By: Halfadozen

Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 03:30 AM

Great pic. Good research going on here at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center.

Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 03:53 AM

cool pic
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:03 AM

Dang good pic!
Posted By: P & Y

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:05 AM

Cool pic!

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:13 AM

The quail hatch at the RPQRR is going a bit better than expected due to the rains this year. Most of the folks are volunteers and if inclined they could use you assistance
Posted By: Fishenstein

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:17 AM

cool pics...now kill them.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishenstein

X2
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:32 AM

very cool pic but still a nusance IMHO.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: Fishenstein

X2

X3
Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 04:43 AM

Very cool pic
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 05:02 AM

coolpics
Posted By: Jdubbya74

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 05:16 AM

Awesome pic
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo
coolpics
Posted By: Antikythera76

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 02:00 PM

they are adorable but really annoying. great pic!
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 02:05 PM

I'm thinking quail research and coyotes are not a good combination. Cool pic though.
Posted By: janie

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 02:26 PM

Awesome pic. rifle
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 05:53 PM

Nice catch. Pups, They look thirsty.
Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 05:55 PM

That's an awesome picture
Posted By: Alta Loma

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 05:59 PM

That is a neat picture, you can see the difference between mom and pups, not their first rodeo at the water trough.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 06:14 PM

You should submit that for a THF cover shot. Very cool.

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean

Can't take credit for the pic, it was taken by one of the researchers at the ranch.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/09/13 11:02 PM

Watched yote pups for hours at Rocky Mountain National Forest. Very cool pic
Posted By: aeb

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 02:34 AM

That is one neat picture.

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I'm thinking quail research and coyotes are not a good combination. Cool pic though.
I agree. I believe the researchers are looking at ratios of quail predators to acreage and habitat including water sources. They have cams set up on all water sources, nesting areas, etc. Not to close to the scientific protocol in the research, but they are looking at all angles. Last report I got was that fire ants continued to be a major source of mortality for chicks. Nesting cover is crucial for bobs, and rain helps to grow that cover, but that also attracts fire ants is what I am hearing. Their research seems to indicate that coyotes, held in check, are not a major predator. Who knows? To me coyotes have always been "opportunistic" hunters. Given the life span of bobs around a year if lucky, it would seem that nesting predators would need to be removed. Anyway, the RPQRR is doing all they can to understand the quail decline. I did see some reports that the return of the horned toad is reducing the fire ant population to a degree.
Posted By: Alta Loma

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 03:50 AM

X2
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 03:54 AM

Horn frogs eat fireants? I thought they were disappearing because fire ants were out competing red harvester ants, which was a staple in the horned frog diet.

Back on subject now. Cool picture. I've always wanted to have a pet coyote... That would be illegal though : X
Posted By: target1911

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 06:36 AM

If you were in the right spot with a solid bullet tou could get em all in 1 shot.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen

Can't take credit for the pic, it was taken by one of the researchers at the ranch.

A Honest man and also Very Cool Pic up
Posted By: cepmax

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 01:37 PM

Cool pic.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: JMalin
Horn frogs eat fireants? I thought they were disappearing because fire ants were out competing red harvester ants, which was a staple in the horned frog diet.

Back on subject now. Cool picture. I've always wanted to have a pet coyote... That would be illegal though : X

Ant poison (aimed at fire ants)is what killed all the horny toads

REALLY COOL PIC!!!
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 04:52 PM

That is a good picture. And a interesting project.

Walter
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/10/13 06:03 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Old_School

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/11/13 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I agree. I believe the researchers are looking at ratios of quail predators to acreage and habitat including water sources. They have cams set up on all water sources, nesting areas, etc. Not to close to the scientific protocol in the research, but they are looking at all angles. Last report I got was that fire ants continued to be a major source of mortality for chicks. Nesting cover is crucial for bobs, and rain helps to grow that cover, but that also attracts fire ants is what I am hearing. Their research seems to indicate that coyotes, held in check, are not a major predator. Who knows? To me coyotes have always been "opportunistic" hunters. Given the life span of bobs around a year if lucky, it would seem that nesting predators would need to be removed. Anyway, the RPQRR is doing all they can to understand the quail decline. I did see some reports that the return of the horned toad is reducing the fire ant population to a degree.

I would be curious as to their findings. The coyotes in our hunting area are NOT in check. The last Prairie Chicken I saw fell victim to a coyote within 24 hours of sighting. Unfortunately we are unable to make it out there often enough to put a big dent in the predator population. It's getting so bad that it has become a rare site to see a cottontail rabbit in any given week. Twenty years ago, you couldn't drive more than 2 miles without one dashing across the road in front of you.

That's a great picture though. They have some personality.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/11/13 11:25 PM

Coyotes keep the foxes away. At the Attwater refuge, they let the yotes pass.

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/12/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: MS1454

I would guess that is what the RPQRR is trying to validate.
Posted By: Old_School

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/12/13 02:14 AM

They probably do keep the foxes at bay. Most of the foxes hang around town or stick to the shinery oak. We see a ton of coyotes... so many last year, that we are taking rifles and/or pistols to capitalize on them during dove season this year.

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/12/13 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: MS1454

I would guess that is what the RPQRR is trying to validate.
Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/12/13 04:07 PM

Cool pic!
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/12/13 04:20 PM

rifle

Re: Coyote pups and Mom at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Center - 08/13/13 04:17 AM

Doc, tend to agree.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum