Texas Hunting Forum

Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week.

Posted By: brazosboyt

Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 02:27 PM

My boys found two flipping rocks looking for lizards and this one was in the driveway.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 02:53 PM

Nasty little critters
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 03:00 PM

Never seen one but always wanted to.
Posted By: Combine Kid

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 03:50 PM

Now there is a snake that I'd like to catch....
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 03:57 PM

Three in a week! What part of Texas are you in? That's very unusual. I'm 62 and been outdoors all my life and never seen one.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 04:02 PM

If I never see one it's fine for me.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 04:04 PM

Very cool. I am curious as well about where you are located. 3 in a week makes me think you must have a spring hatch near by.

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 04:10 PM

How big are they? There's no frame of reference in the photo. I'm thinking the same as Pitchfork. There's something not right here and it ain't good! If they are adults you got one problem and if they're young ones you got another. I wouldn't want to find one around the house much less three. This is a very shy snake by nature.
Posted By: Erathkid

Red touches yellow, harmless fellow. Red touches black, jump back Jack...Not really. Just the opposite.
Posted By: stxranchman

With that much movement I would say you are about to get a good rain. Critters move a lot more before a change in the weather.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 05:01 PM

That is a venomous coral snake. Well it WAS a coral snake!
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 05:13 PM

Neat snake! Glad your boys didn't get bit.
Posted By: wheeling_hunter

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 06:16 PM

i kill around 3 to 4 a year here at my house and the biggest one i ever seen it was about 2 1/2ft.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: billybob
If I never see one it's fine for me.

x2 suckers are nasty
Posted By: cody

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 08:26 PM

Pretty snakes.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Red touches yellow, harmless fellow. Red touches black, jump back Jack...Not really. Just the opposite.

It's, "Red on yellow, kill a fellow. red on black, venom lack." I see one or two each year.

I really don't like it that people on this forum do not include their location in their profile.
Posted By: cwctx

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Never seen one but always wanted to.

Never seen one and never want to.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 08:57 PM

He's in the Temple/Belton area.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Combine Kid
Now there is a snake that I'd like to catch....

+1 up
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 09:46 PM

Never seen one in the wild. Very unusual to get that many in such a short time!

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/27/13 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Very cool. I am curious as well about where you are located. 3 in a week makes me think you must have a spring hatch near by.

I live In Belton. We've been in our home for about 10 yrs and between us and the neighbor we've seen about 20. This one as about 16". Biggest Ive seen was 22". I love snakes and they are gorgeous but they don't gets pass with all the kids around us that are under 8.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/28/13 12:51 AM

I've seen one but would love to catch a two footer.
Posted By: fanatiquack

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/28/13 03:25 AM

Does this mean you kill snakes that aren't venomous too?

Why?

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/28/13 04:13 AM

You have something going on, finding that many in such a small area. Coral snake venom is different form pit vipers, it's a neurotoxin. Not all your hospitals will stock the antivenin. With that many found I'd call around to the area hospitals to see which one has antivenin for coral snakes on hand just in case something unfortunate were to happen.
Posted By: bignate79549

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/28/13 03:40 PM

keep them over there
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/28/13 11:31 PM

Adda boy wax all them things.

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: fanatiquack

Why?

I don't. We have nine kids under 8around us and I'm not risking one wanting to pick up the pretty striped snake. My boys know how to I'd all our local snakes but the neighbor kids don't. I've always liked snakes and rarely kill non venomous snakes unless they are eating my bullfrogs!
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 02:38 AM

Coral have to gnaw on you to bite..They do not strike....We had a landscaping company in the early 90`s and did a lot work in the Kyle/Buda area of Hays County..Found them ALL the time in new sub divisions....
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 02:54 AM

Got one in a jar of alchol. I put it in it when I was in the 6th grade. That was like----41 years ago and it still has it's color. Only seen 2 in my life time.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: fanatiquack

Why?

Most non venomous snakes are egg eating fools. That is why the rat snake is usually referred to as a chicken snake. They have been found raiding hen houses for as long as folks have raised chickens. They eat quail eggs as well as other game bird eggs and will ruin a whole nest. All snakes die at my ranch.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 12:46 PM

I believe there is a burrow nest under the front right corner of my house. I see them right there and close to there all the time. I stopped killing any snake for the sake of killing it.

I just can't see a corral snake biting anyone just walking along. Their fangs are farther back than most snakes and they are really short. It is tough for them to deliver if you know what I mean. Most snake bites are a result of "Hold my beer and watch this" moments.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 01:56 PM

I have never seen one in the feild.
Posted By: father of 4

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 02:02 PM

Havent seen one of them in years.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 04/29/13 02:19 PM

cool snake, I've never seen one in the wild
Posted By: cerda12

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 05:25 PM

My first time going to a friends land in Bastrop, to put out some corn we ran into one. They look pretty cool but didn't want to take any chances.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 05:27 PM

Not a fan....see them regularly here in south TX
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 05:37 PM

[quote=easton1025]Coral have to gnaw on you to bite..They do not strike....We had a landscaping company in the early 90`s and did a lot work in the Kyle/Buda area of Hays County..Found them ALL the time in new sub divisions....

This is simply not true. They usually do make a chewing bite because they have short fangs but they can still pop you straight away. I use to collect snakes all the time and was with a friend who let one bite him on a leather glove because he had heard this very thing. The snake just nailed the glove and let go. Freaked both of us out. He immediately pulled off his glove and there was a small puddle of venom in the palm of his hand. One of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Lucky for him, there was no puncture of the skin.

Also, we have found two coral snakes in our neighborhood in northeast texas this week. They are a beautiful snake!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 05:46 PM

Dad and I killed several of those in South Fla. when I was a kid. Had one year when it seemed like they were all over the place.
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
You have something going on, finding that many in such a small area. Coral snake venom is different form pit vipers, it's a neurotoxin. Not all your hospitals will stock the antivenin. With that many found I'd call around to the area hospitals to see which one has antivenin for coral snakes on hand just in case something unfortunate were to happen.

Yeah, check around because coral snake antivenom is in very short supply. My understanding is that it hasn't been made in years. We've seen a few this year in Driftowwd. First time in years...

Here's an article about the lack of antivenom.
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/alex-hern/2012/10/us-runs-out-coral-snake-anti-venom
Posted By: yeti2009

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 06:10 PM

Not the greatest pic, but here is one that I almost stepped on in the Milam Co. area a few years ago. I was lucky enough to have my phone on me, but I did not want to get too close. Pretty devils and this one had to be between 18-22" long. Our family has seen them here for 50+ years, and with Bell Co. next door, it doesn't shock me you are finding them, too.

It is very untrue about them having to "chew" on you. Although their fangs are smaller and set further back, they will make contact on strike if you are not wearing snake boots or something of the like.

Don't take the chance with a coral snake.

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 07:02 PM

Seen several around the house. They are not a mean snake at all and cant bite like the vipers. I have never killed any I have ran into, just watched as they scurry off. Other poisonous snakes die quickly.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: yeti2009
Not the greatest pic, but here is one that I almost stepped on in the Milam Co. area a few years ago. I was lucky enough to have my phone on me, but I did not want to get too close. Pretty devils and this one had to be between 18-22" long. Our family has seen them here for 50+ years, and with Bell Co. next door, it doesn't shock me you are finding them, too.

It is very untrue about them having to "chew" on you. Although their fangs are smaller and set further back, they will make contact on strike if you are not wearing snake boots or something of the like.

Don't take the chance with a coral snake.

Beautiful snake. Really they bite like a viper? Had an old man around town that collected snakes for anti venom. We took a field trip back in the 80's and he showed us how the various snakes bit as he collected venom. The coral snake had to work to penetrate the rubber top on the jar.
Posted By: Kickerpoints

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 07:27 PM

Wow nice pic!
Posted By: Coyote B

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 07:54 PM

They are actually pretty common, but they tend to stay under foliage, rock, etc. The venom is no joke, very potent. Anti venom is hard to come upon because bites are so rare.

Really pretty snake. Ive caught a few.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 08:05 PM

Iv only seen one
Posted By: pittdog33

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 08:10 PM

Grew up in Belton and never saw one.
Posted By: archer7

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 09:41 PM

My Dad found and killed one near the porch a few years ago. It was about 19 or 20" and had just finished swallowing another snake. I pulled it out and found an 18" rat snake. Never knew they ate other snakes.
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 10/31/13 09:44 PM

I believe they feast on rattlers. Seriously.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 12:44 AM

As has been mentioned with that dense population and kiddos around, I'd want to make sure the local ER has the anti venom. Stuff was super high dollar back in 2003. Check out this article.
http://www.chron.com/news/health/article...nin-1695712.php
Posted By: TxFisher

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 12:54 AM

I caught this one Monday, 26" long.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 12:59 AM

You caught him. Dude what are you smoking?
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 01:00 AM

They used to be real common along with copperheads here in the piney woods on the East side of Bastrop county. Haven't seen one of either type of snake since the fire that took out the woods two years ago. Not saying they aren't - just haven't seen them yet and field mice are abundant..........

The neighborhood is 3-10 acres per home and some folks are claiming to see Timer Rattlers this year, but I have not - and I look for them.

Some snakes are really good to have on your land.

Marc
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 03:58 AM

No point in killing the things. To get bit by one, you have to actually try and get bit. About the only place a human can get bit is on the webbing of your hand.

Btw, bullfrogs are very invasive exotics. If you have snakes eating them, you should thank that snake, not kill it.
Posted By: Krayton K

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 03:03 PM

All of you tree hugging snake lovers can come to my ranch and gather them up and take them home and put them in your house. Snakes dont survive around here do to the harm they can cause livestock as well as the kiddos! Free snake hunts available....
Posted By: 512blaster

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 03:49 PM

Every time I see a snake post I sit back and laugh at how terrified y'all all are. Are any of them rational fears or just scared because you a weiner
Posted By: 007hunters son

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 04:10 PM

wow
Posted By: DirtyHarry

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/01/13 07:42 PM

I have come across one in Far eastern stonewall county before.
Posted By: geotro

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/02/13 10:14 AM

I use to catch them all the time with my hands. They have small fangs and a small mouth so the chances of being bitten are very unlikely. They are also very calm snakes when you are trying to catch them. They would prefer to slither away than to sit in a striking position.
Posted By: 723

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/02/13 02:38 PM

Wow
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/02/13 02:51 PM

Never seen one. They would get a pass if I did.
Posted By: cwctx

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/02/13 03:02 PM

Very pretty snake. Very potent venom. This make then dangerous to youngsters and the uneducated curious adult. Coral's are one of the most timid snakes. They prefer to hide and run instead of stand and fight. They will (like all reptiles) eat eggs, but mostly eat lizards, small frogs and other small snakes. We saw them occasionally at our Weatherford place when I was younger. I have never tried to catch one, but I have never killed one either. I did meet one while rabbit hunting when I was about 15. Both me and the snake decided to go different directions.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Red touches yellow.....3rd one this week. - 11/02/13 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 512blaster
Every time I see a snake post I sit back and laugh at how terrified y'all all are. Are any of them rational fears or just scared because you a weiner

If you think I'm A weiner then I guess you will just have to think I'm a weiner. I find it easier to identify a snake after I've killed him. When alive, they all pretty much look lime African spitting copper headed rattle moccasins. You never can be too sure. Better safe than sory.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum