Texas Hunting Forum

My old barn

Posted By: GusWayne

My old barn - 03/25/13 07:11 PM

My place was one of the first established in south wise county. This barn is being preserved by a more present day barn built around it. I believe my area dates back to the 1880's.

How old do you guys this this is?

Posted By: BenBob

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 07:12 PM

Neat looking barn and neat that you are going to preserve it.

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 07:15 PM

My neighbor is one of the great, great ancestors to the original owner of this tract of land.

She said she believed to be an old corn bin. It appears a wagon could pull through and unload feed to either side. I'm not sure.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 07:23 PM

That's awesome. A piece of history right there!
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 08:02 PM

My cousin did lots of research on log cabins and showed me how different areas of the country notched the corners differently.
Posted By: FFF21

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 08:08 PM

I have no clue on age, but it's really cool and awesome that your preserving it.

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 08:11 PM

My hats off to the old timers who built this. Every log is hand chopped. I should take some pics up to the historical society.
Posted By: curt o

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 08:30 PM

Your time frame is probably fairly close.
My Farm has several old barns nearing 200 years of age built similar. My Grandpa bought it in 1943 and it was stated then the house and barns were "over 100 years old" and that was 70 years ago this year.

My pops old home place had several "shot gun" log houses built very much that same way. Lots of arrow heads found on that place back in the day as well. Not sure when it came into the family but WAY over 100 years ago, my dad was born on that place in 1919.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 08:45 PM

I bet some cool stories where told in and around that barn way back in the day.
Posted By: janie

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 09:16 PM

That is awesome. My best guess would be early 19th century. I'll bet if that old barn could talk, it would have some cool stories to tell.
Posted By: Stub

Re: My old barn - 03/25/13 10:14 PM

Yes indeed!

Originally Posted By: janie
That is awesome. My best guess would be early 19th century. I'll bet if that old barn could talk, it would have some cool stories to tell.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum