Texas Hunting Forum

Canon in south TX

Posted By: KeithTT

Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 07:22 PM

I have always been into videos more so than still photography but I am starting to like taking pictures with my Canon SX30-IS. Picked it up when my daughter was born and I keep it in the truck with me while I'm runnin' these oilfield locations down here in south TX. Let me know what ya' think!?!?!?
Grasshopper in the yard.

Butterfly in the yard.

A few deer on the Gates ranch by Catarina TX.

This buck was over 300-400 yard's away down a fence line.

Anyone know what the correct name for this bird is. I hear people call it some sort of Mexican Eagle? Not sure but there are a bunch of them down here.

This was a bird from last spring but it was taken with this camera at about 80 yards away.

If you are an amateur photographer I would highly recommend this camera for the price. Think I paid like $350 for it
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 07:39 PM

That's a Crested Caracara, often called a Mexican Eagle. I was raised in South Texas and don't recall ever seeing one--then, last November saw two off the side of the road near Goliad, of all places--
You take some nice pictures!
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 07:51 PM

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 07:52 PM

Thanks man. I have been all over this shale down here from Laredo to cuero and all in between and I have seen hundred's if not thousands of those things.
Posted By: csmith936

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithTT
Thanks man. I have been all over this shale down here from Laredo to cuero and all in between and I have seen hundred's if not thousands of those things.

Me too! He ain't lying when he said he's seen thousands lol
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 09:23 PM

coolpics
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/21/13 09:32 PM

Great pics!
Posted By: charliet

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 12:00 AM

Don't get hurt and not able to walk ,those things will eat you in no time ! They can wipe out a 200 pound pig carcase in a days time .
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 12:08 AM

thanks for the pictures
Posted By: janie

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 12:10 AM

Absolutely beautiful.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 12:20 AM

Really like the pics of the deer in the brush! up

For Newbies in AR Counties - That is what "ears in the alert position" looks like!
Posted By: hawk

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 12:21 AM

Great pics!
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 01:45 AM

coolpics
Posted By: Darren M

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 02:43 AM

Great pics!
Posted By: Hair 'o dog

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 02:46 AM

good stuff
Posted By: takerofsouls

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 03:23 AM

Great Polaroids.
Posted By: Mas Cabeza

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 04:10 AM

Cool bird for sure!!

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 08:34 AM

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys and gals. I will keep the camera handy and try to get more pics and post them. have noticed those birds are very much like Buzzards. Meat eaters and most of the time that I see them down here they are on roadkill or in the ditch on a dead animal. Neat looking bird though for sure. Spring is in the air so I should have all the lovely turkey pics to post after a hunt or two.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 01:00 PM

I like #5 the best (little spike crossing the road).
Posted By: smh264

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 06:49 PM

The Mexican eagles are always the first birds on a carcass around here. They keep the buzzards at bay until they have had a goodly share of the meat then they will let the buzzards in to share the bounty. They remind me of a dirty bald eagle.
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 07:26 PM

Great pics

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/22/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I like #5 the best (little spike crossing the road).

Thank's man actually that is a young doe fawn from last spring. I see what you mean by lookin' like a spike but I think that is an ear or somethin'. I pulle up on that deer within' 10 or so yards was def. a doe. Thanks for the positive comments though I sure love sharing the outdoors with everyone else.
Posted By: 94GDucks

Re: Canon in south TX - 03/27/13 06:40 PM

nice
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum