Texas Hunting Forum

Got bored today..

Posted By: Kevin_M

Got bored today.. - 03/11/13 09:57 PM

Well, after playing in one of my scrap piles this morning I figured I would build me a small feeder. I was needing to buy one but I figured if I had the material I might as well see what I could come up with. What do yall think? Just need to go get me a motor, funnel and timer. I am using a 20 gallon drum because I have several of them on hand already, and the fact that I will have to carry all of the corn about a half mile in to the woods made that decision pretty easy.Think I may make a few more.

Posted By: therock

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/11/13 10:09 PM

Ought to work. How you gonna do the lid?
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/11/13 10:10 PM

Works for me. I've gotta couple of 20gal metal ones I use as spares or for short time "tryouts".

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/11/13 10:21 PM

The top of the drum that's on there now has a hinged top that I can secure with a lock. The steel drums I have I can weld up some brackets to keep everything secure. This is the first one I have ever built so It's all trial and error for me. laugh
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 12:04 AM

Looks good. You must be a young feller hauling corn a half mile.
Posted By: prohunter2011

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 12:32 AM

wont work due to moisture building up inside of a plastic barrel/mildew=maggots
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: prohunter2011
wont work due to moisture building up inside of a plastic barrel/mildew=maggots

Paint it black. Like the millions of Remington poly barrels out there now.

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 02:17 AM

Not really sure if mildew will be an issue but I'll find out soon enough. I have several steel barrels as well. As far as hiking it out there, I am 33 but I have no choice being the guy that owns the property doesn't have any trails large enough to get a mule or anything to where I have everything set up and being he lets me hunt there for free all I want I cant complain too much. up
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 07:07 PM

up looks good to me
Posted By: hillbillyhoghunter

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 08:51 PM

That's the kind of place to have to hunt (free). What the squirrels. They'll eat holes in the lid.

Re: Got bored today.. - 03/12/13 10:47 PM

Its been a lot of work and will continue to be but this 200 acre property has never been hunted, has deer, evidence of hogs(although I have yet to catch any on my cameras) but the signs are there and more rabbits than I can shoot. All the property owner asks is that he get a backstrap a year help him with some work around the property, like fixing fences and stuff like that. Seems like a pretty good deal considering I have been told by him to do whatever I want, when I want, as long as I give him 24 hours notice being that Texas Parks and Wildlife and the county go out to his property a few times a year to check on his toads a birds that he has for tax exemptions. To get back on topic, I am going to end up using a steel drum after I get one prepped being that all my drums had various chemicals in them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum