Texas Hunting Forum

could have been better... stinking wind!

Posted By: nastynate

could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 09:03 PM

Went hunting saturday night and ended up with 9 greys should've had a lot more but with the wind blowing in the 30's with gusts up to mid 40's i'll take what we can get.bang

i'll say it was an alright nightjuggle, but disappointing when you know you should of had 3x that number.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 09:15 PM

Dang.. looks like a great night to me.
Posted By: jono7183

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 09:38 PM

Ill take that!
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 10:11 PM

Menu is still the same, guest list just got smaller!
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jono7183
Ill take that!

Mee too!
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 11:27 PM

Maybe not what you wanted, but it looks productive to me.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 11:37 PM

That looks like a dang good night to me!
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/11/13 11:42 PM

Details, man... what sounds were you using?

What did you shoot them with? Hard to tell from the photos, but fur damage doesn't look too bad.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Kentucky_Windage

What did you shoot them with? Hard to tell from the photos, but fur damage doesn't look too bad.

Would love to know what sounds you were using...

tried calling some last night too, but got blanked. Saw a coyote within 10 yards but while I was working on a different part of the ranch and didn't have a gun to shoot him with, then we saw three yotes walkig far away from us but they didn't respond to the call...
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Dang.. looks like a great night to me.

x2
Posted By: moderno

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 12:14 PM

up
Posted By: Darren M

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 12:49 PM

Looks like someone had some fun!!

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kentucky_Windage

We were hunting in the big cat contest out of angelo and we were hunting north of sanderson.

We used a lot of different sounds... They really like TJ shocklers relentless jack hand call and then chicken distress off the foxpro. While also cottontail in distress and grey fox in distress off the wildlife technologies.

Wind was absolutely horrible, I've never seen Greys act like coyotes before but I guess there is a first for everything. They ran straight downwind and never stopped running when they caught our wind.

Any other night on a different ranch I would be happy with this haul, but when you see close to 30 Greys in one night and all you come away with is 9 I'm still pretty disappointed!

All were shot with .223 and shotguns... Furs weren't sellable the other sides of the animals weren't to pretty!
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 02:06 PM

I hear ya man it was a HORRIBLY windy day. I was hunting a ranch up in Childress county for that hunt. You can't step 5 steps on the place without seeing a yote track and only called up 1 yote and 1 cat and both within 30 min other than that didn't see a dang thing all day or night. I was very depressing. Looking at the results looks like the wind must not have been that bad somewhere out there.

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
I hear ya man it was a HORRIBLY windy day. I was hunting a ranch up in Childress county for that hunt. You can't step 5 steps on the place without seeing a yote track and only called up 1 yote and 1 cat and both within 30 min other than that didn't see a dang thing all day or night. I was very depressing. Looking at the results looks like the wind must not have been that bad somewhere out there.

That was the main reason we went down to sanderson because the weather reports said that it wasn't suppose to be windy... Man, they got that wrong! scratch

I had another place in sterling county that we could've hunted and we wouldn't have had to drive so far!
Posted By: hillbillyhoghunter

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 08:57 PM

Looks like a great night to me.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: could have been better... stinking wind! - 03/12/13 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: moderno
up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum