Texas Hunting Forum

First Buck 2012

Posted By: EchoThumper

First Buck 2012 - 03/11/13 06:25 PM

Well I wasn't supposed to get a buck this past season, but near the end of December a buddy took me out to his lease to get a doe so I'd have some meat in the freezer. We're sitting there and there are 3 does and one-button-buck by the feeder. I've picked out my doe and my rifle is in the blind window just took the safety off... (I'm in the left chair, he's on the right)

When my buddy whispers excitedly wait wait wait there's a buck coming in from the left you can't see him yet, and I think he's a shooter. (my buddy has two does for the year but no buck)

I whisper ok holding on my doe and he slides his rifle up and angles it left waiting for the buck to stop and present a shot.

He spooks the left most doe and the button buck under the feeder and makes my doe move so I don't have a shot. I start tracking the buck and he's now doing a fast trot/slow run off to the right. My buddy never gets a shot and can't see him now (buddy needs better glass on his 270). I whisper to him ok I've got the shot over the hill I can still see his vitals, can I take the shot?[heart racing at this point I've only taken a doe 2yrs prior and she was standing still] My buddy whispers take it I move the cross-hairs ahead of the buck so he walks into the shot angled away on the run...

Winchester xp3 270 150gr - we then wait an hour for the buck to lie down and bleed out. We waited that long since a mutual friend of ours got over eager and spooked a buck after 20-30min and it ran off and was lost a few years ago. Longest 60min of my life waiting to get out and look for him. No blood on the ground where I shot him or trail, we saw the white of his ears just 10feet inside the treeline. Good amount of blood on the ground and in the cavity. Got both lungs but missed the back of the heart. Just as well my Brother-In-Law wanted the heart for a dish he wanted to cook up smile

Took me a while to get the time to upload the photos. Not a record breaker but now my heart will be a bit calmer the next time I get a chance to shoot a buck... Another mutual buddy did the euro-mount for me with the red-wood stump, and my wife is cool enough to let me hang it in the kitchen over the pantry smile

passwrd for album is> thfview
EchoThumper - first buck down 2012
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/11/13 08:07 PM

nice buck. that's a dang good looking mount
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/11/13 08:18 PM

nice buck! Remind me not to go to your brother in law's for dinner. barf
Posted By: MikeC

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/11/13 09:47 PM

Nice euro. Looks good. Congrats
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/11/13 11:40 PM

That's a great buck Buddy. You've got a real good friend right there. FYI, when I shoot I wait a maximum amount of time to get out of my stand. Usually 30-40 seconds haha. Seriously. If I hadn't this last season I might not have found him. Ran out of blood trail, heard him kicking in dry brush back in some THICK cedars.
Posted By: 300j

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/11/13 11:43 PM

Nice one, congrats to you! up

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/12/13 02:28 PM

Several good friends both the buddy who took me to his lease, and the buddy who did the euro smile

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/12/13 05:18 PM

I've got the liver cleaned up and in a vacuum bag in the freezer going to cook up some deer liver and onions this spring smile
Posted By: BOONER

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/12/13 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Lead Pipe
nice buck! Remind me not to go to your brother in law's for dinner. barf

Actually deer heart is pretty good. Slice it real thin and chicken fry.

Cool story.

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/26/13 03:31 PM

Anyone got suggestions on the liver, besides just slicing it up and frying in an iron skillet with some onions?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/26/13 03:54 PM

The same way you'd cook calves liver. Just don't over cook it. Nice Buck. Like the euro mount.
Originally Posted By: EchoThumper

Anyone got suggestions on the liver, besides just slicing it up and frying in an iron skillet with some onions?

Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/26/13 04:08 PM

Congrats to you.
Posted By: Gut Shot C

Re: First Buck 2012 - 03/26/13 04:50 PM

Nice buck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum