Texas Hunting Forum

Bolt Action Pens

Posted By: R&R

Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 02:59 PM

Here are a few ink pens I have been making. They are called " Bolt action pens ". The tip is designed like a .30cal bullet, the end cap is a primer, the shirt clip is a rifle with a scope on it, and the mechanism is a bolt, just like on a bolt action rifle. The first one is made of Bubinga wood and a gun metal finish, and the second is Zebra wood and a chrome finish. I am thinking of listing these for sale on the forum, just wanted to see what ya'll thought of them first. Thanks.

Posted By: 007hunter

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:01 PM

Mighty nice looking...what kind of pricing would you be talking about???
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:01 PM

Neat looking pens. Let me know when you start cranking them out. I want a few.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:14 PM

The price on the Bolt Actions are $35, which I find fairly resonable, being that they sell on Ebay for $40-$45 plus $5 for shipping. I can make them in several different finishes and different woods.

Finishes:

Gun metal, chrome, 24k Gold, and Black Enamel

Woods:

Canary, Yellowheart, Purple Heart, Mesquite, Coco Bola, Bocote, Zebra wood, Bubinga, Bois' Darc, Long Leaf Old Grove Pine, Red Cedar, Oak, Maple, and a few others.

General turn(pun intended) around time is roughly 2-3 weeks. I need to figure out what it will cost me to ship a pen, before I can give shipping cost. As soon as I can get some quality pics, I will post them. Thanks for your interest.
Posted By: Mike Garcia

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:14 PM

those are pretty cool

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:16 PM

Thanks!!
Posted By: Mike Garcia

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:21 PM

can you make one out of antler and if so give me a price
Posted By: grimes80

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:23 PM

Those are awesome!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:25 PM

Nice
Posted By: East

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:27 PM

pretty impressive
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:28 PM

Those are very unique. If you list them I'd buy one for $35.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:32 PM

Thanks again everyone! About the antler.... HAHA. I have done one, and do NOT like doing them, and it's not because of the smell either. Antler varies from piece to piece, one might have more pithing than another, one might be softer, more spongy. I can never guarantee the outcome of one. The one I did turn, I didn't even finish making the pen; the pithing (spongy looking stuff) was so bad, you could see through it, and see the brass tube. Not only that, they are not very stable, and can split and chip out in the final processes. If, I were to do another one, I would have to charge at least $10 more than normal pricing.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:51 PM

And yes, these pens are refillable. They take a standard refill (not zebra size), that can be found at most stores.
Posted By: caspergsx

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 03:52 PM

i like them .. good job
Posted By: BAYSPORT

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 04:14 PM

Sign me up as well when you start making theme
Posted By: panch0

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 04:27 PM

Nice work! I really like that!

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 04:36 PM

Thanks guys!! If I were to list them for sale on here, just list them in the general classified section? And is there a way I can link up my PayPal account? Thanks. (Sorry, I have been away from here for a while, we had twins last May.)
Posted By: panch0

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 04:39 PM

You could put them in the non hunting section probably. I dont think there is a way to link with paypal. The purchaser would need your paypal ID which is usually an email address linked to your account. Then they send you the payment and then you ship it out.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 04:47 PM

Thanks @ Panch0!! I think I have it down now, I also had a friend explain it to me at my shop. Thanks again.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/26/13 06:17 PM

Let me figure out what shipping will be, and I will post pricing tomorrow. Thanks again for all the great comments and strong interest.
Posted By: ChaseNTheHunt

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 12:44 AM

wow, awesome looking. I'd like one too. PM me when they are up if you remember.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 01:21 AM

Like what you have done.
Posted By: Quack boy1

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 01:59 AM

I'd buy one
Posted By: seacam

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 02:14 AM

Those are awesome!!!
Posted By: Oxxon

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 02:34 AM

up
Posted By: Buggs

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 02:34 AM

VERY COOL WORK

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 03:59 AM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the kind comments, and I will PM the guys interested in buying them as soon as I find out what shipping is going to be tomorrow. I also forgot to mention that I offer laser engraving! It really needs to be alphanumerical, because the diameter of the pen isn't very big, and a logo wouldn't show much detail and would be crammed into itself. Here are a couple of pens that I made and had engraved for a few customers.

Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Neat looking pens. Let me know when you start cranking them out. I want a few.

Me too!
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 04:43 AM

pretty neat good luck with making them I think they look great
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 04:48 AM

i will take one. PM me when you are ready to produce them.
Posted By: jts728

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 06:05 PM

That's awesome

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 09:39 PM

Thanks guys!! I have some shipping information, and will be selling these now. I am moving them over to the classified section, and will PM the guys that were interested on here as well. Thanks again!!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 09:44 PM

I'll be looking for your PM, already got my order defined!

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 10:45 PM

All PM's sent. Thanks guys!!

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4087736/Bolt_Action_Pens
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 10:47 PM

Great looking pens! I have a hunting buddy retiring soon and one of those would be a perfect gift.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/27/13 10:51 PM

Thanks. Just let me know when you're ready!
Posted By: RedHoss

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/28/13 03:51 AM

Great looking pens! Any hunter would be proud to have one. They would give him more reason to day dream about hunting.
Posted By: hbred

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/28/13 02:14 PM

that really is great idea. they look awesome
Posted By: drakecutter

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/28/13 02:17 PM

looks good. We sell similiar ones in the shop.

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/28/13 02:27 PM

Thanks!!
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/28/13 02:55 PM

Those look great....you ever thought about using deer antler in place of the wood?

Re: Bolt Action Pens - 02/28/13 03:04 PM

Thanks!! Here is my response to this question earlier.

Originally Posted By: R&R
Thanks again everyone! About the antler.... HAHA. I have done one, and do NOT like doing them, and it's not because of the smell either. Antler varies from piece to piece, one might have more pithing than another, one might be softer, more spongy. I can never guarantee the outcome of one. The one I did turn, I didn't even finish making the pen; the pithing (spongy looking stuff) was so bad, you could see through it, and see the brass tube. Not only that, they are not very stable, and can split and chip out in the final processes. If, I were to do another one, I would have to charge at least $10 more than normal pricing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum