Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Spear

Posted By: Bush Monkey Knives

Hog Spear - 02/23/13 02:54 PM

Bush Monkey Knives Spearhead: 3/16" 1095 steel, 14" oal, 2" wide, 10" working edge. I will have the spearhead to threaded 5' shaft connection finished in a week or so. The spearhead will be detachable and I will include a 6" shaft/handle with every spearhead so the user can use the spear as a knife.

A 3" wide O1 tool steel version is presently in the works.

Masai Warrior, Kenya
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 03:05 PM

Is that you holding the spear?

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 03:10 PM

LOL - no
This guy can probably do more with a spear than most guys try to do with the most sophisticated gear out there.
Originally Posted By: DocBailey
Is that you holding the spear?

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 03:11 PM

How heavy will it be?
Posted By: GunterSXR

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 03:14 PM

That'll work

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 03:22 PM

Good question. The aluminum shaft will keep the weight down but the machined steel spearhead to shaft connection is overbuilt and not lightweightnot lightweight. This is a thrusting spear so in some regards, weight translates into inertia and the energy of that inertia results in greater penetration.

thanks for asking,

Jeff

How heavy will it be?
Posted By: centxshooter

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 03:23 PM

Would be the talk of the hunting party showing up with one of these smile
Posted By: caspergsx

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 06:29 PM

DAM
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 06:54 PM

Now sit in a tree and wait on a hog. When it gets under you drop on its back jabbing it with the spear. Least that's what Rambo did. up
Posted By: Quack Whacker

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: centxshooter
Would be the talk of the hunting party showing up with one of these smile

That ain't no lie. Especially if it's your first day on the lease.

Re: Hog Spear - 02/23/13 11:51 PM

lol - some good comments here
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Hog Spear - 02/24/13 04:39 AM

I will let you guys know how it works...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hog Spear - 02/24/13 05:52 AM

East tried to make his own once...tell him to show the video popcorn

Re: Hog Spear - 02/24/13 02:49 PM

I had some guys over at Knifedogs forum ask me about "testing". My reply follows:

Testing:

I can report that the blade will bend along the 3/16" measurement axis long before the 1" round bar fails and that the shaft, the hog or a human arm/grip will fail before the blade or connector fails along the wide axis of the blade. I can tell you these things because I have rigged "things" in this manner many times before in different applications. Most of the "testing" of the spearhead to shaft connection has been done before by me and thousands of other people who have been around tools, machinery and the laws of physics.

When I get the connector made, I will clamp it to a large fixed object and all ow "Tony" (below) to, hang on it, do a few pull ups on the shaft, stand on it, jump on it and then hand it to a hog hunter to kill a few hogs with. The final version of the connector might be fabricated out of aluminum.

ps Light is not always better. Keeping a fair amount of mass in a thrusting weapon translates into inertia and more inertia means more penetration:-)

"Tony", Director of Research, Development and Testing for Bush Monkey Knives
Posted By: Stub

Re: Hog Spear - 02/24/13 05:01 PM

I met a dude with a huge home made spear and that is how he supposedly hunted hogs. He would put bait under a tree, sit up on a platform in the tree and jump down ontop of it and spear it?? muyloco

Originally Posted By: EastTexasHag
Now sit in a tree and wait on a hog. When it gets under you drop on its back jabbing it with the spear. Least that's what Rambo did. up

Re: Hog Spear - 02/25/13 10:17 PM

Killing hogs with a knife is not uncommon. A thrusting spear is nothing more than a knife with some standoff.

Originally Posted By: Stub
I met a dude with a huge home made spear and that is how he supposedly hunted hogs. He would put bait under a tree, sit up on a platform in the tree and jump down ontop of it and spear it?? muyloco

Originally Posted By: EastTexasHag
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hog Spear - 02/25/13 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bush Monkey Knives
Bush Monkey Knives Spearhead: 3/16" 1095 steel, 14" oal, 2" wide, 10" working edge. I will have the spearhead to threaded 5' shaft connection finished in a week or so. The spearhead will be detachable and I will include a 6" shaft/handle with every spearhead so the user can use the spear as a knife.

A 3" wide O1 tool steel version is presently in the works.

Masai Warrior, Kenya

Is that a chiansaw bar???
Posted By: K-Chap

Re: Hog Spear - 02/25/13 11:00 PM

Wow

Re: Hog Spear - 02/25/13 11:02 PM

Redchevy,

It looks exactly like a chainsaw bar - even the hole spacing is very similar. But, no, it is not a chainsaw bar. I am sure you could make a spear from a chainsaw bar though. Thie one is 1095 high carbon steel and I have one in the works that is O1 tool steel.

Jeff

ps On second thought, there is no reason a Hog can't be killed with a chainsaw.
Posted By: grimes80

Re: Hog Spear - 02/26/13 01:57 PM

Wow!
Posted By: R&R

Re: Hog Spear - 02/26/13 02:02 PM

Wowser!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Hog Spear - 02/26/13 02:07 PM

Looking forward to the finished product.

Tony has interesting wardrobe tastes, even for a monkey.
Posted By: hbred

Re: Hog Spear - 02/26/13 02:19 PM

wow
Posted By: panch0

Re: Hog Spear - 02/26/13 02:26 PM

That is all kinds of cool!

Re: Hog Spear - 02/26/13 02:34 PM

Redchevy,

It looks exactly like a chainsaw bar - even the hole spacing is very similar. But, no, it is not a chainsaw bar. I am sure you could make a spear from a chainsaw bar though. Thie one is 1095 high carbon steel and I have one in the works that is O1 tool steel.

Jeff

ps On second thought, there is no reason a Hog can't be killed with a chainsaw.

Lol I'd love to see that!

Re: Hog Spear - 03/24/13 03:12 AM

Spear update:

I machined the spear to shaft connection which will be bolted to the spearhead and welded to a 1.25 OD/1" ID 4 ft aluminum shaft. The OAL will be just over 5 ft. I re-engineered the shaft connection and decided to weld vs thread the connection because the weld is stronger than a material removing threaded connection. Pics to follow.

Jeff
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Hog Spear - 03/24/13 04:06 AM

I'll invite you to go hog hunting; I want to see you toss that thing. rofl

I've make and sold a lot of pig knives for those with more stones than me. I don't want to get tht close to a pig, most of the pigs I that I get that close to are already grave yard dead.. aim

Again, good job Jeff.

Re: Hog Spear - 03/24/13 03:00 PM

I will make the spearhead/shaft connection to shaft weld tomorrow.

Got hog?
Posted By: TEXPRO

Re: Hog Spear - 03/25/13 04:42 PM

Have you used it yet?
Posted By: TEXPRO

Re: Hog Spear - 03/25/13 04:42 PM

Take backup

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 02:56 AM

This one is going to a hog hunting forum member. I have some tweaks in mind for the next one.

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 02:03 PM

That looks good, I'd like to throw one of them dudes to test it. what is the overall length/weight?

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 03:03 PM

Doc,

Thanks for taking a look and commenting. It is a thrusting spear, balance point is ~20" aft of the point, OAL is 62".

Jeff

That looks good, I'd like to throw one of them dudes to test it. what is the overall length/weight?

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 03:12 PM

Would this be considered lunging spear rather than a throwing spear?

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 03:18 PM

YES - Thrusting/lunging/plunging/stabbing/pushing/poke/shove/jam...Semantics...the spear never leaves your grip. Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 04:26 PM

Sorry for the dumb question, your picture and explanation to DOC hadn't shown up on the thread on my screen yet.
YES - Thrusting/lunging/plunging/stabbing/pushing/poke/shove/jam...Semantics...the spear never leaves your grip. Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 04:31 PM

That is pretty wicked.

Re: Hog Spear - 03/26/13 04:50 PM

Not dumb at all. Thanks again for looking and asking a valid question whose answer was cyber delayed.

Jeff

Sorry for the dumb question, your picture and explanation to DOC hadn't shown up on the thread on my screen yet.

Jeff

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum