Texas Hunting Forum

Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe

Posted By: Sniper John

Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 08:25 AM

Jumped in the truck with the dogs and went on a walkabout earlier this month.

Wild Quail hunting on Mad Iland WMA, Dash on points. Not a lot of covies found due to sheet water, warm weather, and on day two we had lots of wind. But the covies we did find were big.

Bonus birds. Y'all really did not think I was not going to somehow include snipe. It's why they call me "sniper john".

Uh Oh, Don't think we will shoot any snipe or let the dogs drink there. Dern warm weather had them out sunning.

How about them Snows.

And Cranes. Note the Nuclear Power Plant Domes in the background.

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 08:26 AM

With few trees to run into, Blaze got to have her fun too. She still has a heck of a nose and had to find a couple birds buried in the grass that Dash could not find. The more she becomes confident in herself being blind, the more of a problem it is becoming for me. She will now hunt and wonder far away if not watched closely. Then it is hard for her to determine direction of sounds and tends to become lost.

Like a Gypsy

Traveling like a Gypsy out of my truck I was fortunate in that some of our own THF waterfowlers hunting in the area had rented a house nearby and gave me an invite. Well not really nearby, but in that country two hours is nearby. It was nice to sleep in a bed and eat some of Wal's Gumbo. And oh the steaks.

I did get to make one hunt with the guys on the bay. Having just rolled in from Quail hunting before jumping on the boat. I am still in green.

No matter with blinds like these.

Old school decoys

A man and his dog.

Knowing what direction the big birds where leaving the roost pond back at Mad Island I had to go back and give them a try.
I had been amazed when I saw the first truck in line at the gate the day before on the morning of my quail hunt over 24 hours before the gate opened for waterfowl. Sleeping in my truck I found myself about 14th in line Friday evening.

Here is what I saw the morning of my quail hunt that made me want to go back.

Rare coastal Canadas leaving the roost.

Cranes and more.

I could have easily shot a limit of ducks, but did not want to turn my big bird flights. Pass shooting can sure be exciting in the right circumstances. The only two people hunting any of the areas of the compartment I was in was a biologist who could only hunt the first 30 minutes, and myself. A very pleasant hunt. I swapped dogs half way into the hunt. Dash first to learn how to sit still and not break on the big birds.

This Crane fell so far away I never could have found it without Dash.

Dave and Garret texted me with directions as they were putting decoys out on the bay at a place they scouted for kayak access. So after my morning hunt I headed that way and launched the yak to join them.

I could not help but stop to take a picture of this dead soldier.

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 08:27 AM

The regatta hid away.

Divers it what it is about.

Landed outside the decoys, but easily called in.

For a pounding that is.

Wake me when y'all are ready to leave.

Dave and Garret left north, I went back to sleep in my truck at mad island again.

Dash with his first Duck retrieve.

But big birds are what I came for.

I ended the morning hunt early so I could make it to Davy Crocket National Forest to get some Woodcock hunting in before Dark.

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 08:27 AM

Poor Blaze was not happy. A forest full of trees to run into is no place for a blind dog.

I hunted an area a listmember suggested to me, but no birds found. I did find a 14 year old girls hunting license and hunter safety card in the woods. Recently obtained according to the dates on them. I drove to Lufkin and hand delivered them to the girls mother. I think she was about to cry when I handed them to her. Day two I hit a different area suggested to my by a forest ranger.

Again no woodcock found. At least that I know of. Unusual for a Vizsla, Dash ranges out of sight often. He sure had fun. He is the wind when he runs.

What I did find was a super secret beaver pond and flooded timber are deep within the forest that was loaded with wood ducks. At least that is what I thought until I looked at the ground.

I ended my road trip hunting that pond with Miss Blaze. She may be blind, but she can still retrieve just fine on small water.

A super thank you to WAL1809 and the rest of the migratory guys for your hospitality. I truly enjoyed it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 11:05 AM

Alot of really good pictures of what I am sure was a lot of Fun!. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Alot of really good pictures of what I am sure was a lot of Fun!. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 01:39 PM

Great photo essay! Thanks!
Posted By: janie

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 01:51 PM

Fantastic pic's and write up as always. Thank you.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 01:52 PM

Great pictures!! Thanks for taking the time to post them up. I'm sure I was out on the morning of the sheet rain. We might have seen two coveys flush before it started. We came come.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 01:55 PM

Great pics and a great story John. Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 03:34 PM

Your pictures and descriptions are always the best on the forum. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 03:42 PM

Great stuff john
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 03:55 PM

Looks like a great little wander! Good pics, thanks for sharing. I also think it's wonderful you do your best to still get Blaze out in the field. No doubt it lifts her spirits.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Great photo essay! Thanks!

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
Looks like a great little wander! Good pics, thanks for sharing. I also think it's wonderful you do your best to still get Blaze out in the field. No doubt it lifts her spirits.

It was difficult for a trip like this. Her hunts really need to be dedicated to her. We do have an appointment with an ophthalmologist vet on the 29th now that we have all the human health issues in the family dealt with. Initially we only did the pressure test and treated her uvietis to make sure she was not in any pain. With more tests we should now be able to the final word if any of it can be reversed and what it will cost or worse if one or both eyes should be removed. If surgery to restore her vision in one or both eyes is possible, I will be having a gun sale next month. Might even turn loose of the gold 10. She has earned it.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 04:49 PM

Thanks for posting, and thanks for still getting Blaze out!
Posted By: Greg

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 06:02 PM

Looks like another great trip John. You really make me look forward to getting out there again. Best of luck with Blaze. Hopefully they can do some surgery to fix it so she can keep getting after it! up
Posted By: westtex75

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 07:21 PM

john...you are one hard hunting dude. good story.. up
Posted By: East

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 07:41 PM

great story and great pics john
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/22/13 08:07 PM

As usual your photos and stories make me want to get out and experience the outdoors!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/23/13 12:04 AM

I want to add one more thing about photo essays in general. Simply put, my hat's off to anyone who does them. It would have three hour effort for me to what John just did. I has taken me up to ha half day back when I did a couple on another forum when I had dial up. Try a 10 picture one sometime, and you'll take your hat off.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/23/13 12:08 AM

Great pics John and im glad to see the dogs doing well.
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/23/13 03:29 AM

As always, John...great job and great pics. Thanks for posting it up.
Posted By: JWP58

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/23/13 11:58 PM

Very nice. I stumbled upon your Blue grouse hunt in colorado. You didnt happen to see any Ptarmigan did you?

I think it would be one of those bucket list birds to bag, like the snowcock in NV.

Im close enough I think next season I'll make a run or two at them next season. If you'd like to join me just shoot me a pm!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/24/13 12:20 AM

Great pictures, had to be a blast up

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/24/13 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: JWP58
Very nice. I stumbled upon your Blue grouse hunt in colorado. You didnt happen to see any Ptarmigan did you?

I think it would be one of those bucket list birds to bag, like the snowcock in NV.

Im close enough I think next season I'll make a run or two at them next season. If you'd like to join me just shoot me a pm!

Yes, I hunted them, or at least I tried.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/436635/

I doubt I will make it through there this year. I think next season I am sticking to three shorter trips to the KS Flint Hills, OK Panhandle, then South LA. But I do hope to do a three week road trip with Dash into Idaho season after next, that would include a stop or two in Colorado on the way I am sure.

I will make that run to the Ruby mountains in Nevada some year. Don't know when, but it will be within Dash's hunting lifetime.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/24/13 02:52 AM

Thanks for sharing the pics and your stories! Enjoyed the read.
Posted By: CSF

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/26/13 02:44 AM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: thefish

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/27/13 04:24 PM

thats Bubba driving that boat isnt it?
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/28/13 03:39 PM

I always love your photo stories and I never knew what a VIZSLA was until I saw your adventures posted here years ago when Blaze was a pup. I even have photos of Blaze saved as my revolving screen saver on my computer! Now I am in love with the breed and looking to own one one day when I can spend the quality time with the dog as you do. Thanks for the share.....
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/29/13 01:24 AM

Looks like a great trip, John.

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/29/13 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: thefish
thats Bubba driving that boat isnt it?

Yes sir. Bubba had something for every moment. Been a long time since I laughed so much. I gotta get the recipe for that drink of his.
Posted By: duckhunter76

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/29/13 03:05 PM

Sniper John I really enjoy your pics & adventures. You have beautiful dogs! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/29/13 03:36 PM

coolpics thanks for sharing
Posted By: altabonita

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/29/13 10:39 PM

Great looking dogs.

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 01/29/13 11:43 PM

We had the initial exam at Blaze's Opthamologist today and there is a good chance she will be a candidate for eye surgery. We will be going back for more tests soon to make that determination. If she is a candidate, she will have to have a deep cleaning of her teeth at least 3 weeks before surgery due to her eyes being susceptible to infection after surgery that could come from her teeth. Lens replacement in both eyes will be very expensive. Over $3000 for that surgery alone. I will have a first round of firearm related things hit the classifieds soon to raise funds for the testing. And I hope we get a go ahead and a second round will follow, which would definately include some of my firearms to raise funds. Blaze has been my lifetime dog both in hunting and as a therapy dog for my family. I want her to see, and run, and hunt again. She has earned this.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 02/01/13 07:10 AM

Here's to everything coming together for Blaze. cheers
Posted By: full throttle predator

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 02/10/13 05:24 AM

Nice
Posted By: bumper

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 02/10/13 06:33 AM

Awesome photos. Also shows the kind of person you are to take someones license right to their house. Even if it was only a hunting license. Good deal
Posted By: full throttle predator

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 02/10/13 03:03 PM

Nice
Posted By: Rockhunter

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 04:28 PM

awesome pictures
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 04:59 PM

Keep us updated on how things progress surgery-wise! Got some high hopes for future Blaze adventures.
Posted By: drakedoctor

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 05:16 PM

Cool pix and sounds like a fun trip
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 07:23 PM

Great pictures, as usual.

Originally Posted By: TxAg
Keep us updated on how things progress surgery-wise! Got some high hopes for future Blaze adventures.

Yes.
Posted By: BPence

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 07:34 PM

Great pictures. Looks like everyone had fun!!
Posted By: hillbillyhoghunter

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 09:13 PM

Great photos looks like everyone had fun even the dogs.
Posted By: greygooser

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/01/13 11:57 PM

Great stuff, I think you have inspired me to do one of these so called 'photo essays'. If its even half as good as what i've just seen and read i'll be pleased.

I really hope you can get things figured out for Blaze. Having a Weimaraner myself i've always also been very fond of Vizsla's and your dogs are very nice looking. Sounds like Blaze is a real pal.

Good luck
Posted By: Rockhunter

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/11/13 10:28 PM

Love Vizsla pics
Posted By: csmith936

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/11/13 11:38 PM

Thanks for the pics and the stories!!!
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/12/13 12:33 AM

Those are great pics. Really enjoyed them.
Posted By: 94GDucks

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/27/13 06:55 PM

nice
Posted By: jhank

Re: Vizsla road trip - Quail, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Woodcock, and Snipe - 03/27/13 08:35 PM

snipes ?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum