Texas Hunting Forum

Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit?

Posted By: BCT

Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 04:42 AM

This one had my hunting partner hunting all day, for the rest of the season. This 26 in.(appx) chocolate-horned 10-pointer left us with about 10 different photos and a broken heart.

Got any vanishing dream deer?
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 04:58 AM

No but il be dreaming about that one!!
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 05:12 AM

We had a 10pt last year. He was there before the season and then vanished. I'll look for the pic.
Posted By: East

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 05:27 AM

Only pic ever. Not on my place. But a place I got to hunt

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 06:10 AM

all great deer I spooked one one time and couldent get a shot off. It was a beast and if I could do it all over again I would have shot it in the arse
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 02:20 PM

I am still waiting on this main frame 5x6 with triple split brows... This is the only time he has shown himself.

Posted By: Chafro

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 02:31 PM

Worth waiting for that one.

I had many deer never been seen and have a few pictures of them.

We had one in particular that disappeared after having him on camera for like two weeks in a row in November of 2010. Didn't get a picture of him or was seen until last weekend. He was killed last week as a 7.5 deer 6 miles away!!! from where we got the pictures in 2010.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: East
Only pic ever. Not on my place. But a place I got to hunt

well........ you know which way he was headed.
Posted By: Waylon A.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 03:05 PM

Yep!

This was the only day he showed up that year.
I had quite a few pictures of him the previous year when he wasn't nearly as big.
I never got another picture of him.

Posted By: scott1071

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/21/12 03:27 PM

On camera once.
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 03:25 AM

1 picture of him is all we got! I was hunting the North stand and he came on the South end that day.

Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 03:31 AM

Not my dream deer but these 2 are the argest I've seen on my 70 acre place in the past 3 years. Once and only once.

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 03:40 AM

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 03:48 AM

I guess we can only hope that they passed their genes around before disappearing:)).
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 05:43 AM

Yes, biggest buck I've ever seen was on the side of the road off 35 next to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. My heart skipped a beat when he picked his head up. I went back later that night but he was gone & never saw him again. frown
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 01:45 PM

i have shown these pics several times, never seen him in person and havent had a pic since 10/6, when he was at my primary stand at 730a and i was in my secondary stand. had him in velvet in 9/2011 and he disappeared till 3/10/2012. looks like he is doing the same thing this year. he haunts my dreams.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 03:32 PM

House, that is one awesome stud right there. I'd have nightmares over that one.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 05:13 PM

I only got one picture of this deer. And he by far not the biggest I have seen on our ranch. But there is just something about him that drives me crazy about Big 8's. I love to see what he would look like hanging on my wall!!!

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 05:28 PM

Great tall 8 with good mass, he'd of looked great on the wall. Hopefully he or his offspring are alive and kicking.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 05:50 PM

Those are all great bucks....maybe one of you will get one of them before the season is over
Posted By: TxFisher

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 07:55 PM

This one still haunts me. I watched him for an hour thanksgiving evening of 2009. I was bowhunting and he never came in range, and he was never seen again.

Posted By: BCT

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 08:20 PM

Thank goodness for game cameras to show us what is really out there...even if they do just stop by once. jshuse...this is a magnificant buck!!! Stud is right.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/22/12 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BCT
Thank goodness for game cameras to show us what is really out there...even if they do just stop by once. jshuse...this is a magnificant buck!!! Stud is right.

yes, i love the cameras, they keep you from taking younger bucks too.

and i am sure he would appreciate all the compliments but yall know its just salt on my ever widening wound right? lol....he is the greatest buck i have ever had the chance to hunt, and its not even close.

good luck to all of u guys, may xmas bring an "in range" view of these guys one more time...
Posted By: TgrygTC

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/23/12 04:40 PM

Just goes to show you how they got to be that big. Smarter than you might think.
Posted By: AdThomps

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/28/12 02:38 PM

Here's the one I always think about. Was using a cheap camera then so the pics aren't great but you can tell how big he is. Main frame 10 with double split G2's and huge brow tines. Never seen him again....

Posted By: Gamer

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/28/12 02:49 PM

This was 2 years ago on our ranch south of Guthrie. I hunted him hard but never got another look. We have seen some bucks close to him since, but he is a Macho Grande!

Posted By: Mankussm

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/28/12 06:01 PM

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 12/28/12 07:08 PM

Checked cams today and still no sign of mine. 8 more days fellas, good luck.
Posted By: Bama2

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/01/13 04:00 PM

Well they don't get that big by coming to the feeder lol
Posted By: Hustler

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/01/13 04:44 PM

[/quote]

That is a straight up King county giant. I have seen some real awesome bucks around Guthrie over the last 8 years.

Did he come through in the rut or late season?
Im pretty close to Guthrie myself.
Posted By: Gamer

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 02:23 PM

This was in late October and I hunted him hard and never saw him again. Did shoot a 150 class buck I was happy with, but not as happy as it would have been to shoot this one. The biologist couldn't believe it either. He is a BEAST! He's still out there somewhere. This was 2 years ago.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 02:46 PM

My ghost!! bang

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 02:55 PM

From my old (sold it) Midland Co. Ranch...

And then there's DoubleDrop from Glasscock Co. Shouldnt have passed him this year. Never saw him after this season, spent all summer looking for his sheds, and I know he made it through gun season.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 03:10 PM

great bucks fellas, time to just sit, wait, and watch. hope.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 03:22 PM

Not really but I have several that stuck around for 4 years like clockwork then never came back frown
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 04:27 PM

Sorry long story:
It was a while back but I will never forget it and my daughter constantly reminds me of it, she was 8 yrs old at the time 13 now.
We were at the ranch and a few other hunters were there. I was trying to wean myself off of coffee for some stupid reason. Well I head to the truck to warm it up and jump in and my odometer has all sevens (7777)I go back to the ranch house and say boys today is my lucky day how about a cup of that coffee. I drink the coffee (first cup in about 2 weeks) and me and my daughter head out to the stand. Park the truck for a 100-150 yard walk to the stand we climb in and guess what? The coffee hits me in the gut and I tell my daughter I have to go back to the truck so sit tight and dad will be right back. I go and take care of business and as I am approaching the stand all I hear is dad,dad, dad hurry up, keeping in mind it is still pretty dark about 6:45 am, well I climb in and say whats wrong honey and she replies there is a huge buck at the feeder. I look down there and to my amazement stands the outline of the biggest buck I have ever seen in a hunting situation. Now comes the second punch from the coffee, I start shaking uncontrollably and can't even get a good grip on my rifle. I try to compose myself and put the rifle out of the window and at that second my feeder goes off and scares the chit out of this buck. I am freaking out because as he runs up the other side of the draw I was hunting I get a real good look at his headgear. This sucker had to be 19-20" wide and was a main frame "tall" ten. He stops at the top of the ridge and and looks back at the feeder and offers me a perfect 150 yrd shot. Put the gun on him and still shaking so bad I can't find him in the scope. Look up still standing there staring back at the feeder wondering what had happened and look back through scope still can't find him. Look back up and watch him haul arc out of there and as I watch him leaving for about 400 yards all I can think is man I hope I see him again. Hunted every weekend and some weekdays after that and never seen him again. No one on the ranch ever saw him and I think they all thought I was BSn. Later that year after the season was over I was down to do a little work and the ranch foreman pulls up and asked if I would give him a hand setting up a water trough. As we were talking he asked how the hunters did this year and I said no big bucks were taken but all and all an okay year. His reply was man I thought one of you guys were gonna score on a real big one this year. There has been the biggest buck I have personally ever seen in this county my whole life bedding up over behind that house across the road bout hit him with the grill of my truck one evening when he crossed over to this ranch, I think he hits that feeder in the draw to the east (mine). Sure hoping one of you boys would get him. After describing the buck it was the same buck I had saw. Dangit never seen him the next year either and never seen him show up in the Goldthwaite gazzette either. Sorry for the long read but thats mine that got away.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Chafro
My ghost!! bang

Man I like big massive typicals. From this season?
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Csddarden
From my old (sold it) Midland Co. Ranch...

And then there's DoubleDrop from Glasscock Co. Shouldnt have passed him this year. Never saw him after this season, spent all summer looking for his sheds, and I know he made it through gun season.

I don't know how in the hell you passed on this beauty!! You have a lot of self control. That is a beast double-drop!
Posted By: Floydada

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 06:58 PM

Not a dream buck by most standards, but the biggest I’ve ever seen on my little piece of East Texas. Only have three pics of him from this last season all on the same day….never to be seen again.

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey

I don't know how in the hell you passed on this beauty!! You have a lot of self control. That is a beast double-drop!

In all fairness, he had broken off one drop when I saw him, plus we had him aged at 3.5 so by the ranch rules, he was a no-shoot that year.
Posted By: Floydada

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 07:53 PM

My ghost!! bang

That is a bruiser.
Posted By: jerermy whitson

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/16/13 08:46 PM

i feel the pain
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/17/13 02:36 PM

My ghost!! bang

I woulda cried.
Posted By: Brock77

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/17/13 08:12 PM

cool deer
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/17/13 08:59 PM

Never saw him while in the tree......and I was in that tree ALOT!

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/17/13 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard

dang!

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/17/13 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Wide and double drops too. up
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/17/13 11:10 PM

Nice deer fellas!!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/18/13 02:40 AM

I wonder what we missed back when I hunted Mason Co?

Originally Posted By: BCT
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/18/13 07:30 PM

And now.....depression sets in.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/18/13 07:32 PM

"And now.....depression sets in."

Agree on that, but maybe he will be bigger next year.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/18/13 07:39 PM

This was one of the biggest 8s iv ever seen...called him G2...got him a few times before season then never again...think they ended up gettin him on the prison.

Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/18/13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
think they ended up gettin him on the prison.

Are you close to the Mayo Ranch?
Posted By: HuntingForRufus

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/19/13 03:18 AM

Posted this in another thread but this guy keeps me up at night.

Only picture we have of him.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/21/13 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: Navasot
think they ended up gettin him on the prison.

Are you close to the Mayo Ranch?

Na this was way further south in houston co.
Posted By: bunker1965

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/21/13 05:41 PM

I have a few that still haunt m to this day!
Posted By: dbzell

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/21/13 10:06 PM

Nice deer!
Posted By: TimVines5640

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/24/13 06:08 AM

Wow... really nice pics!
Posted By: bucksducksntrucks

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/24/13 07:33 AM

OMg this thread has me depressed--think i'm gonna put this bow away and never let another one get away again...haha.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/24/13 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
My ghost!! bang

No stx this was 2011. I love massive typicals also. Never saw him,,, he was in the middle of a LF 20k acre ranch so I guess he just died. He haunts me!!!
Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/24/13 03:07 PM

Never saw this one, only a few pics.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/24/13 03:10 PM

My ghost!! bang

No stx this was 2011. I love massive typicals also. Never saw him,,, he was in the middle of a LF 20k acre ranch so I guess he just died. He haunts me!!!

I would still be having nightmares! That is a very impressive buck in a very dry year to boot.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/26/13 03:01 AM

This one just showed up last week. Have no idea where he had been all season or where he came from or if he will be back next year.

Posted By: buck-snort

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/26/13 03:09 AM

never showed in 2011 or 2012

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 04:54 PM

Never saw this guy on the hoof. Pic is from 2010.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 05:18 PM

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 05:22 PM

Posted By: TX35

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 06:05 PM

I did, but a Buddy on my lease got him instead!! Granted, this was the one & only time I saw him on camera. My Buddy who got him, had been watching him for 3 years! This was in Palo Pinto Cty., & a low fence ranch (1500 acres). I just pray that he spread his genetics around to every doe he saw!!!!

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: TX35
I did, but a Buddy on my lease got him instead!! Granted, this was the one & only time I saw him on camera. My Buddy who got him, had been watching him for 3 years! This was in Palo Pinto Cty., & a low fence ranch (1500 acres). I just pray that he spread his genetics around to every doe he saw!!!!

flehan

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 06:27 PM

My ghost!! bang

I would still be having nightmares! That is a very impressive buck in a very dry year to boot.

Man i like those Lowprofile antlers...seem to see that in stx more than anywere..
Posted By: Let The Air Out of 'Em

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Vanndchi
And now.....depression sets in.

X2 bang
Posted By: duckhunter76

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 06:42 PM

Very Nice, Congrats to your buddy!

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 08:00 PM

We need more pics of that deer!
Posted By: GunterSXR

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 11:01 PM

that first one is a freak!!
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/30/13 11:14 PM

Only picture we have of this buck

I had this one on camera for 4 months. Passed a lot of nice bucks, just hoping he'd come in.

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 03:08 AM

that, is bad to the bone. any more pics of him? awesome.

Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
Only picture we have of this buck
]

awesome buck as well.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 03:52 AM

Saw him last year as a small ten on camera in one pic. Had him in one photo this year as well. He hardly ever visits feeders and when he does its between 10pm and 3am.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 04:26 AM

Yup
Posted By: TX35

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

that, is bad to the bone. any more pics of him? awesome.

[quote=Ridn9high]Only picture we have of this buck
]

awesome buck as well.

Here's a few more!!

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 05:12 PM

That is an amazing deer. Do you have any numbers on that beast? Any pics of him on the ground?
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 05:49 PM

How about NIGHTMARES do they count? Only time we ever saw this POS in person was in my buddies truck and he was insistent on not running him over in his new Chevy despite how hard I was pushing down on his foot on the pedal. I have Nightmares thinking about his offspring running around.

Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 07:48 PM

My favorite low fence deer of the season. Thanks for sharing the pics Tx35.
Posted By: whitetailfanatic

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 01/31/13 11:43 PM

Posted By: Grayson

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 02/01/13 02:55 AM

Some awesome bucks on here!
Posted By: Revolutionary Redneck

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 02/13/13 03:29 AM

Happens every year
Posted By: grimes80

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 02/19/13 08:12 PM

We had one we called the "Hartford Deer". He reminded us of the deer on the Hartford insurance logos.
Posted By: Thunder Hill

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 02/20/13 12:44 AM

We had 3 non typicals in October on camera and never saw a single one of them in person. Guess that is why they get big and old.
Posted By: ramojr59

Re: Do you have any dream deer that never came back after one visit? - 02/22/13 05:48 PM

wow
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum