Texas Hunting Forum

Stories from the Range

Posted By: MichaelL

Stories from the Range - 02/26/23 04:47 PM

I'm a member at a private range down in El Campo. A lot of times I have the range to myself (not just before deer season) or with one or two other people there.

Sometime back I was 1 of 2 people at the range. I was on the 200 yard range doing a ladder test. A young man was over on the pistol range. After I made a few trips down to the target he walked up and asked about the rifle and what I was doing. I showed him my ladder test spreadsheet print out and explained what I was doing. It was time to change targets so we walked down and I showed him how the different loads grouped based on the amount of charge. One group was particularly good. As we walked back he asked- "If you want it to group better why don't you move closer to the target". 🧐😶 Not wanting to embarass or seem to talk down to him I explained as best I could after a very long pause... Problem is... he was right smile ani

Rifle

[Linked Image]

Final load target

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 20 PPC.jpg
Attached picture 20 PPC Ladder Test.JPG
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Stories from the Range - 02/26/23 05:03 PM

See, he was right, moving closer to the target helped you!

Re: Stories from the Range - 02/26/23 05:08 PM

Lol... sure did... I learned patience when dealing with inexperienced people.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Stories from the Range - 02/26/23 05:13 PM

So you moved over to the pistol range with him for the final target? whistle

Re: Stories from the Range - 02/26/23 05:15 PM

Exactly. That's where all long range shooters practice. That's where the Nightforce scope really shines
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Stories from the Range - 02/27/23 03:04 PM

At least you didn't get so close that you put powder burns on the target. bolt
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Stories from the Range - 03/20/23 08:43 AM

cheers
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Stories from the Range - 03/22/23 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I'm a member at a private range down in El Campo. A lot of times I have the range to myself (not just before deer season) or with one or two other people there.

Sometime back I was 1 of 2 people at the range. I was on the 200 yard range doing a ladder test. A young man was over on the pistol range. After I made a few trips down to the target he walked up and asked about the rifle and what I was doing. I showed him my ladder test spreadsheet print out and explained what I was doing. It was time to change targets so we walked down and I showed him how the different loads grouped based on the amount of charge. One group was particularly good. As we walked back he asked- "If you want it to group better why don't you move closer to the target". 🧐😶 Not wanting to embarass or seem to talk down to him I explained as best I could after a very long pause... Problem is... he was right smile ani

Rifle

[Linked Image]

Final load target

[Linked Image]

as I am getting older,,,,that works
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum