Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for a Veteran welding or Forging group

Posted By: Jamoke

Looking for a Veteran welding or Forging group - 08/02/22 03:56 PM

I put this under the Knives heading initially, but feel like I'm hijacking their thread. I am retired Army. I am 57 years old and I have disabilities that I try to hide as much as possible. Sometimes I appear pretty able, other times I need a cane or a wheelchair. . I still work on Ft Hood and have a total of 38 years working for the Army in or out of uniform. I really want to start learning to make the tools needed for forging and eventually some knives. I have researched all of the "programs" to start this process. I am really hoping to find someone closer to me that can mentor me and I can learn from, maybe another veteran or veterans group in the area around Ft Hood. I am partial to Cranky old guys who cuss and can be unprofessional. Even to be able to watch others in the process in real life would be great. I live in Belton. This is completely for mental relaxation, I have no aspirations of mass producing or selling anything. I just like to have the knowledge of how to make things I need. I have gone so far as to buy a Hells forge 2 burner, a Hobart welder 120/240. And to build a small workshop. I have a railroad track anvil mounted on a stump and some basic tools. I have a small boat that I can take someone out fishing on Belton as trade. As I still work full time I am only available after 430 evenings or on weekends. My children are grown and the wife wants me out of the house more than in it. The person doesn't have to be a master at the craft, they could be a country boy just like me looking for like company. Thanks for reading!! here is a picture of my soon to be completed workshop.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Looking for a Veteran welding or Forging group - 10/21/22 02:09 PM

Tom (Tomar from TFF) a 30-year Veteran, came by last night and spent 4 hours on step-by-step instructions. These steps might seem simple to some of you, but for me he really made me understand the processes and how to do each thing safely. 1rst securing Oxy acetylene tanks better, then hook up all hoses and tips, checking each connection with soapy water. Order to turn on gasses and pressure settings for different actions. Wear of safety gear, Types of flame: carburizing, neutral and oxidizing and what each is used for. Brazing, Soldering and Cutting. Then we proceeded to cut 1/2-inch leaf springs. Over and over till I got the speed angle and distance almost correct. I still have much to learn but feel safer now in using this system. He reinforced most of what I have seen on videos. I am the type of learner who needs to see something done in front of me to understand. Then we went on to my MIG, he explained all of the connections, wire types, how to install, tension and drive. How to change wires for solid wire or flux core. He proceeded to lay several perfect beads and then had me do it over and over, he explained the speed distance and settings, and also when I made bad beads why they were bad and what I did wrong. By the end I felt much more comfortable with the unit. I now feel safe and comfortable to practice, practice, practice, also to try different metals and techniques. Not only did I meet a quality instructor. I met a quality person with lots of similarities in our lives. I look forward to taking him out fishing and maybe making a few things in the shop. I have never had a bad experience from anyone I have met on the TFF and THF. The world needs more people like Tom!! Thanks Again!!!
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Looking for a Veteran welding or Forging group - 10/24/22 03:45 PM

Good for you sir, and thanks for your service. Lots of helpful people on these forums like Tom up up up flag
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Looking for a Veteran welding or Forging group - 10/27/22 01:39 AM

Glad to help buddy.

Let me know when you get the electrical stuff done and your gas bottle in and I’ll come back up for more lessons. We'll have to do it on a weekend though to get more time in especially since it’s getting dark earlier.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum