Texas Hunting Forum

My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes

Posted By: redhaze

My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/15/18 07:22 PM

Just found my son, 38 yrs. old, 15 years active duty will be getting a medical discharge some time in the next 6-9 months because he has diabetes, he was diagnosed when he returned from Afghanistan last year. He is a long distance bike rider and is in good shape, has to use an insulin pump. Any suggestions for to follow on his way out. He is an E-6, works on large transports at Dover AFB. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/22/18 10:34 PM

This may have useful information.

https://www.thebalance.com/military-disability-medical-separations-and-retirements-3356969

The one thing I would suggest is also filing the paperwork for a VA evaluation for service-connection (can apply if condition was just aggravated by duty). It makes access to care later a lot easier if the VA rating is granted.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/23/18 01:49 AM

If he is being medically discharged he will go through the MEB process which is mostly conducted by the VA and the Air Force will use the VAs ratings and findings. If he is found to be unable to perform his duties and found to be at least 30% disabled due to the disabilities that keep him from being capable of doing his job he will be given a retirement meaning he gets the blue ID card and medical and dental. If he is below that 30% he will get a lump sum and be discharged. The process is pretty simple and everything will be explained to him and a lawyer available for any consulting. Either way he won’t receive retirement pay from the Air Force but will get disability pay from the VA amount will depend on combined disability rating.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/25/18 05:28 PM

Sapper, I know you know more about this than I do, but that’s complete [censored] that they would do that to somebody after 15 years of service. So he may have to essentially start his retirement over at age 38? Even in my PD, as screwed up as it is, we have a bunch of permanent disability positions for reasons like this.

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/25/18 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Sapper, I know you know more about this than I do, but that’s complete [censored] that they would do that to somebody after 15 years of service. So he may have to essentially start his retirement over at age 38? Even in my PD, as screwed up as it is, we have a bunch of permanent disability positions for reasons like this.
in some cases you can fight it and get a new job that doesn’t require certain things more of an admin type job. Thing is the military feels in many cases if you aren’t deployable they don’t want you. lots of guy have been screwed over. The lump sum is based on yrs of service and base salary. I think they take your last 3 yrs average base salary and multiply it by years served. So 15 yrs would be about 45 grand and a thanks for serving. But if the disability you are chartered for you get all the perks of a full 20 yr retirement mi us money compensation, your only compensation would come from the VA for your service connected disabilities

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/26/18 10:48 AM

We thank you for all of your info. Hopefully I can report back later with the results. fray
Posted By: BigPig

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/27/18 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
in some cases you can fight it and get a new job that doesn’t require certain things more of an admin type job. Thing is the military feels in many cases if you aren’t deployable they don’t want you. lots of guy have been screwed over. The lump sum is based on yrs of service and base salary. I think they take your last 3 yrs average base salary and multiply it by years served. So 15 yrs would be about 45 grand and a thanks for serving. But if the disability you are chartered for you get all the perks of a full 20 yr retirement mi us money compensation, your only compensation would come from the VA for your service connected disabilities

So what happens to the guys with 4 years that lost limbs? What do they get?

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/27/18 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

So what happens to the guys with 4 years that lost limbs? What do they get?
my buddy who lost his leg got medically retired. He had 10 yrs of service. He is 100% combined disability with the VA be t gets no compensation from the Army but did receive an Army retirement so he has the blue ID and all the perks of doing 20 minus monitary compensation. So full medical and dental and what not.

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/27/18 04:41 AM

The only time they may give you Army retirement without 20 yrs is if you are close to retirement like 18 yrs of service. Even when you get Army retirement for 20 yrs you can’t double dip. So if you are 100% disable with the VA and full retirement from the Army you can’t make more than you last 3 yrs of service base pay average. So if you were making 5K in the Army and you are 100% disabled you first get your tax exempt VA money so around 3300 if married then up to 1700 from the Army per month but it can’t exceed that 5K. Many people in the military aren’t aware of this and think they will get full pay from VA and their Army retirement.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/28/18 06:28 PM

I know this has been said many times but we still don't treat our Vets right....
Posted By: Skip

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/29/18 11:19 PM

In Waco L-3 and in McGregor Space-X
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/30/18 04:10 AM

All is not lost. All federal/state/county/municipal employers will allow the purchase of credit for years of military service, to be applied to the service credit in that civilian position. It really is not that expensive if done up front, rather than waiting 10-20 years.

Also, military-related disability gives a 5 to 10 point bonus in the federal civil service hiring process for civilian positions.

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/30/18 11:07 AM

Thanks again for the info, no update yet.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 04/18/18 04:09 AM

MAke sure to tell him that before he gets discharged to go be seen for anything that has ever bothered him even if not currently acting up. If he feels depressed sometimes, has a knee or tendon that acts up from time to time, has trouble sleeping or ANY other thing. He needs to get everything on record no matter how small.
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 04/23/18 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
MAke sure to tell him that before he gets discharged to go be seen for anything that has ever bothered him even if not currently acting up. If he feels depressed sometimes, has a knee or tendon that acts up from time to time, has trouble sleeping or ANY other thing. He needs to get everything on record no matter how small.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Or he'll be in the same situation as I am right now. VA determined that after being out for 20 years,nothing that I claimed, except for my shoulder, was service connected.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 04/24/18 02:41 AM

If he is willing to work in Fort Worth, Lockheed Martin is an excellent employer. I am a hiring manager. Have him send me his resume when he is within 30-60 days from being available to start work (again, only if interested). We hire lots of former military on the program I work on, especially pilots (for non flying billets) and aviation maintenance types, and the program is still ramping up.

bert.rodriguez@lmco.com

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 04/28/18 02:32 AM

Thanks again for the info, he is progressing in the "checkout" process now. Thanks.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/09/19 03:36 AM

After 15 years as an E6, he ought to get both a pension/retirement from the military and disability from the VA. Plus there are a ton of vets transtition programs to help him find good jobs.

He needs to look into the Vocational Rehabilitation Program with the VA. They'll pay his college or trade school and etc to get into a good trade that pays well and he can still save his GI bill for wife/kids if he has transferred it at all.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/09/19 03:42 AM

Also- the VA multiplys your time in service times 4 for the years the military has "aged" you and applies that to any condition you have, whether you came in with it or not.

So if diabetic, even if he entered military service as a diabetic, multiply 15x4. The VA recoginizes that the military has progressed his diabetes times four. So, 60 years. At the bery least he should get a good disability pension from the VA plus vocational rehab so he can work and make a good living.

Plus the man just got back from a tour. Downrange it is hard and your diet is often what you can get, and probably not the greatest. I don't see how a diabetic could even survive.

I feel like they are trying to make up for the aweful treatment of vietnam vets. They will make sure he is treated fairly. He's just gotta go get it.

I wouldnt worry about it too much because the military transition programs these days are mandatory and pretty good. I can voich for that as a transitioning vet.
Posted By: JABHunting

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/09/19 05:49 PM

If he would like to continue to serve, The Texas State Guard will issue a waiver for diabetes in most situations. Contact me through PM. I am a recruiter.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/09/19 11:44 PM

FRAY- this is an older threat- any updates on how things went??

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/10/19 12:23 AM

He got out with a VA disability and lives in Minneapolis , doing what he loves - working on bicycles.....doing fine. Thanks for checking.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/10/19 01:51 AM

Outstanding!!! Glad it worked out for him Sir up
Posted By: Stub

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 03/10/19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
Outstanding!!! Glad it worked out for him Sir up

X2 and we appreciate his service flag
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 04/01/19 04:55 PM

Make sure whatever County in Texas your son settles in that he goes to talk to that County's VA Officer for a full explantion of the his Benefits.

The County VA Officer is an employee of the COUNTY and NOT a federal employee. The County VA Officer here in Anderson County has busted his butt for me, when the Grayson County VA Officer, where we lived for the 11 years prior to 2016 was buried in new Vet's and I was not high on his To Do List and got lost in the shuffle with no help ever offered or received.

I would also strongly reccommend the outstanding Health Care I'm recieving at Cent TEX VA's Olin Teague Hospital & supported with specialty Dr's from Baylor, Scott & White's main campus HQ Hosptal 6 blocks away in Temple. I will never set foot again in any of Dallas VA's
facilities, and have suffered permanent damage from care I received in that VA System.
Ron

Re: My Son is Being Let Go from USAF because of Diabetes - 04/10/19 10:15 AM

Thanks for the information, right now it looks like he will be in Minnesota for a few years, (guess he is my progeny) He and his family are happy up north.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum