Texas Hunting Forum

Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters

Posted By: big_whiskers

Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 10/17/16 04:42 PM

I have become disables since 2-1-16 and am not going to be able to walk very far or carry any weight. I have not been able to get on the yearly lease due to loss of income. I was wondering about hunting on the national forest but would have to use an atv to get into the woods to set up ground blind. It appears from what I am reading on web sites no off road vehicles are allowed. I have left messages at forest office but not received any replies. anyone have any info on this subject?
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 10/17/16 05:33 PM

Even if you don't want to apply for this hunt, I would think by calling them you could find an ombudsman to answer those questions, since it is a National Forest persons with disabilities hunt.

http://www.easttexaspress.com/farm-ranch...es-set-dec-9-10
Posted By: therancher

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 11/03/16 01:48 AM

Welcome to the world of public hunting.

If you can make it to mountain home I can let you hunt. Meat hunt free. If u want bucks I'll charge you a minimal fee. I have ground blinds for disabled folks. Has to be sometime after my grandkids hunt. All the way to feb 26.
Posted By: TxsHunter99

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 11/11/16 04:13 PM

Hey Rancher I sent you a PM
Posted By: therancher

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 11/14/16 05:00 PM

Check your pm's.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 11/14/16 05:14 PM

For the most part, in both Davy Crocket and Sam Houston NF, in hunting areas you cannot use off road vehicles. We go into both forests and know that there are some off road trails, but there is no hunting allowed in those areas.

You drive to an area and park your vehicle, walk into a hunting area, and that will be all that is allowed with a vehicle.
Posted By: numberoneonhtwo0

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 01/30/18 05:11 AM

If you get the Texas apl the book has info on certain public areas that allow atv use by disabled permit only. That’s what I’m going to do next year. The place I want to hunt told me to stop by on the way in and they would give me gate codes for access. Pretty sweet because I almost gave up this year!
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 06/13/18 09:03 PM

I don',t know which area your talking about ,is it the National Forest or one of The Texas APH WMA's ?? But White Oak WMA also allows ATV for the disabled.
Posted By: upsslim

Re: Davy Crockett Natioanl Forest disabled hunters - 06/14/18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Even if you don't want to apply for this hunt, I would think by calling them you could find an ombudsman to answer those questions, since it is a National Forest persons with disabilities hunt.

http://www.easttexaspress.com/farm-ranch...es-set-dec-9-10

This link is from 2016. I've been on this hunt. It is great. They start taking applications in Sept. or Oct. The hunt is on a private tree farm, Alazan WMA, and SFA experimental forest. It is not on national forest land. The lady who runs the hunt works for the national forest. The national wild turkey federation is the main sponsor. You have to find a place to stay there's no camping. It's a great hunt with good food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum