Texas Hunting Forum

Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds

Posted By: okbowhunter

Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 04:18 PM

I'm hunting a place in Southern Oklahoma I have noticed this year more fireant mounds then I've ever seen there. While setting up a little blind I got into them and ended up getting bit here and there the rest of the day. I have half a mind to carry some fireant killer and just sprinkle mounds as I come across them. Obviously I'm only going to hit a fraction of them. Complete waste of time and money?

I figure if nothing else I get some self satisfaction out of killing some of the little bast$#@s.

Posted By: Bobbaganoosh

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 04:38 PM

Every little bit helps in my opinion.

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 05:38 PM

+1

Every little bit is a help and better than doing nothing.

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 05:43 PM

Sprinkle some poison on them then pi$$ on them to water it in, that should work to kill'em and get self satisfaction...

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 07:54 PM

up Thanks for the input taking the fire ant killer with me

Posted By: Centex Hunter

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 08:08 PM

That's I hear works- urination...

Posted By: Luv2Hunt

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 10:12 PM

Walk around with Fire Ant killer and kill every mound you come across. You'd be surprised at how effective you can be.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/02/09 10:19 PM

You can broadcast Amdro with a grass seeder at about 1 pound/acre (I think) and it works very well. The bottle gives the broadcast rate. I use it on the 4 acres around my house and it keeps them under control.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Thundervee
Sprinkle some poison on them then pi$$ on them to water it in, that should work to kill'em and get self satisfaction...

Nice!!

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Thundervee

LOL!!

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 06:41 AM

Peeing on it always works

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 06:49 AM

Oklahoma = worst state ever

i think that sums up ur problem.

Posted By: BORN2HUNT

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 06:51 AM

Kill them all

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

um well lets see the little bast$#s came up from Texas how you explain that??

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: okbowhunter

um well lets see the little bast$#s came up from Texas how you explain that??

We got them on the run. up

Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 12:59 PM

I'd sprinkle a little under the perimeter of my blind. Now may be a little too late. The old bucks will smell it and shy away from the new scent.

I'm with the "Kill them all."

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 01:29 PM

Good thought. I probably shouldn't treat any mounds right close to where I'm actually hunting from.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 01:35 PM

When I owned some acreage in Parker Co I looked up some info on Texas Ag Dept website. They have recommeded treatment plans for large areas that were actually pretty affordable. I remember there was some good information there.

Posted By: Rackmaster

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 01:58 PM

Orthene is effective on the mounds and only takes about a 1/4 teaspoon. I think we like to really dump a lot on because if some is good, more is better. Dumping more waste your money. If you hit everyone you see, you can put a dent in the population. You won't be able to get rid of them but it will help.

All ants become active after a rain during the warmer months of the year so if you can catch them before they try to fly off and make new mounds. Some fire ants will create trails on the ground with mini mounds so those are good to give a little sprinkle of medicine to also.

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 02:45 PM

I ended up picking up AMDRO because 1. It doesn't require watering in and 2. it came in a semi small plastic container with a handle and popup lid. Everything else was in bags like for pouring into a spreader.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/03/09 07:16 PM

definitely do what you can, especially in feeding and bedding areas

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/04/09 01:37 PM

remember that every time you broadcast "bug" killer on a large area to get rid of one "bug", then you are totally wiping out the whole area of bugs. Many bugs are beneficial to our ecosystem and for us hunters, certain bugs help pollinate native vegetation species that deer and other game species eat. I use to broadcast our entire yard, but I saw a decline in bees for pollinating my plants and garden, so I stopped and have better pollination. Spot kill the ants. bugs eat the poison, birds and small mammals eat the insects and larger mammals eat birds and smaller mammals.

Posted By: possom813

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/04/09 03:58 PM

I've always thrown out some instant grits on the mounds around the stand and around the house.

Seems to work, or it could just be my imagination, but there aren't any fire ant mounds around the house or the stand anymore.

Posted By: Dirtymike

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/04/09 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
definitely do what you can, especially in feeding and bedding areas

Spot treat only. Fire ants are bad but the chems are worse. They dont go away for a long long time. It all ends up in the water one way or another. The more chems you put on your property that you hunt the more chems you will ingest. Take a look in your outdoor annual at all the bodies of water we can not eat fish from. Everything goes to the water.

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/04/09 07:49 PM

This is getting complicated. Just read the label on the Amdro one thing that got my attention.

"This product is toxic to fish. Do not apply directly to water. Do not contaminate water when cleaning equipment or disposing of equipment washwaters."

What about when it rains and washes this stuff from the suburban yards into the storm drains ..... which lead right to the lake???

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/04/09 09:26 PM

There used to be some stuff we used around our poultry farm that was safe to use around water. They sold it over at the poultry store in Gonzales. It's some kind of biological-bio degradable stuff. Anyway, it was safe to use around water and around our poultry houses and wroked pretty well but it's expensive. I don't know if they still sell it but if I'm in there and see it again I will let you know.

Posted By: Dirtymike

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/05/09 06:23 AM

That is exactly why we are saying to spot treat only if needed. Like in Little Nemo. All drains lead to the ocean. It will always end up in the water. It can be used sparingly. You just dont need to dump it out everywhere. Yard fertilizer is just as bad. So go slap your neighbor that has scotts come out every week so his yard is the greenest on the block.

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/05/09 12:20 PM

You have obviously never been to New Jersey.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Is this a stupid idea? Try to kill fireants on hunting grounds - 11/05/09 04:02 PM

If amdro would kill fish southern fannin and northern hunt wouldn't have any... the feds gave it away to farmers to put out several years, and still make it available cheap, or atleast did last year when I checked.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum