Texas Hunting Forum

banded dove

Posted By: olducker

banded dove - 04/18/24 12:06 AM

Had a dove fly into our window. I thought tpw would like the band and the bird . I have called every number I can find and I am about to give up.. any suggestions? It's like trying to call the government. Will post this question a couple of places.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 01:11 AM

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/index.cfm
Posted By: Saltydog1366

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 04:35 PM

You should report the band at www.reportband.gov. What county are you in? You can find your local TPWD biologist here https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/county/index.phtml.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 07:20 PM

Is it a Eurasian collared?

https://texasdovehunters.com/bb-challenge
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 09:34 PM

worthless
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 09:40 PM

30 odd years ago, I found and reported a banded grackle. They very nicely sent back a little card with the bird's data including when it was banded, the birds species, sex, and the name of the person who banded it (that I actually had met). The grackle had lived at least 12 years at the time of its death. I have the little certificate and the band in a frame.

I always wanted to find a banded bird, and it was a stupid grackle, LOL.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
30 odd years ago, I found and reported a banded grackle. They very nicely sent back a little card with the bird's data including when it was banded, the birds species, sex, and the name of the person who banded it (that I actually had met). The grackle had lived at least 12 years at the time of its death. I have the little certificate and the band in a frame.

[Linked Image]

That’s priceless roflmao
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: banded dove - 04/18/24 11:49 PM

That is awesome!
Hmmm. I shot a banded Quail last season. I already reported it in person to the refuge I was on, but maybe I should try to officially report it to see if I can get one of those cool certificates to frame with the band like that. Even though it is a federal band, unfortunately I doubt they have any non migratory birds recorded in the database at that level.
Posted By: kry226

Re: banded dove - 04/19/24 12:36 AM

I shot a banded woodcock on Alazan WMA one year that was banded by SFA a few months prior. They sent me a similar certificate. It's actually pretty cool to get some other info about your bird.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: banded dove - 04/19/24 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

[Linked Image]

I've shot several banded ducks in my life and have had a few of those certificates.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: banded dove - 04/19/24 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by olducker
Had a dove fly into our window. I thought tpw would like the band and the bird . I have called every number I can find and I am about to give up.. any suggestions? It's like trying to call the government. Will post this question a couple of places.

I have experienced the same situation. I found a banded cardinal in my yard when I was in college at SFA. A buddy gave me a newspaper article about the project and the number to Texas Parks and Wildlife number to call. I could never get anyone to call me back. Money well spent I guess🤷‍♂️
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: banded dove - 04/20/24 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hunt Dog
I've shot several banded ducks in my life and have had a few of those certificates.

I wasn't a hunter when I found my grackle, but a buddy of mine, like you, hunted waterfowl and had turned in 2 or 3 tags. I think the hunting part definitely gave y'all an advantage.
Posted By: JINKLE

Re: banded dove - 04/22/24 03:59 PM

I have run into a handful of banded ducks in my life but to this day, this is the second banded dove I have heard of. The first one I came across, my brother and I were dove hunting and it appeared that a cat or some predator got a hold of the bird and the only thing left was feathers, a pile of scraps, and a bird band sitting right in the middle.

Very neat story to hear about the bird and your window
Posted By: Stohner

Re: banded dove - 05/20/24 01:36 AM

Never seen a banded dove. Maybe something domestic?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum