Texas Hunting Forum

CHL Renewal?

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

CHL Renewal? - 03/07/23 08:42 PM

I got my CHL renewal stuff in the mail today. Is there any reason to renew it now that most people don’t need one anymore? Asking for a friend. 😁
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/07/23 08:49 PM

I'll renew as long as it's offered. It's a matter of pride for me.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/07/23 08:49 PM

Yes, carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, reciprocating states, and no waiting to purchase a new firearm.

Also it's called LTC instead of CHL.
Posted By: Greg

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/07/23 08:50 PM

Reciprocity is nice on road trips. Also nice when buying new guns. You can also carry up to the door of your kids school when picking them up… assuming you have kids
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/07/23 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
Yes, carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, reciprocating states, and no waiting to purchase a new firearm.

This. Lots of places that you can legally carry with the LTC that you can not legally carry without one.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/07/23 10:45 PM

Reciprocity on road trips is a big plus, as is the convenience when buying new toys. I’ll renew without hesitation.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by PrimitiveHunter
I got my CHL renewal stuff in the mail today. Is there any reason to renew it now that most people don’t need one anymore? Asking for a friend. 😁

You can carry within 1000 feet of any school and on the campus of many, which is a federal violation if you are not licensed.

Your LTC will also serve as a nice reminder to the cops that pull you over that you are a thoroughly vetted card carrying good guy. My CHLs and LTCs have paid for themselves many many times over through the years in the tickets that I didn't get.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 04:08 AM

A person doesn’t need a LTC to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. If there’s a 51% sign (A bar) you can’t carry either way. If this has changed (I can’t imagine it has without me knowing) please post a link.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

A person doesn’t need a LTC to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. If there’s a 51% sign (A bar) you can’t carry either way. If this has changed (I can’t imagine it has without me knowing) please post a link.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 05:00 AM

NOT a new law by decades.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

[Linked Image]

That’s an old blue sign.

The blue “NOTICE” sign that is commonly found in restaurant windows prohibiting unlicensed handguns is irrelevant since that law has changed. The TABC confirms “there will no longer be a requirement for certain businesses to display the blue handgun warning sign, as there will no longer be a requirement that handgun owners license their firearms.”

Restaurants, non-51-percenters, have three signs to choose from now. One refers to penal code 30.06, which prohibits concealed handguns; penal code 30.07 prohibits the open carrying of handguns; and penal code 30.05 covers criminal trespass for entering with a firearm. Some restaurants have already posted the 30.05 sign with the words “No Permitless Carry'' at the top. All three signs mean no guns on your property.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 06:10 AM

Again, if I’m wrong please post the actual codified law. Here is the Texas Penal Code 46.03 Places Weapons Prohibited:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 08:35 AM

License holders have protections related to the accidental carrying of a firearm in the secured area of Airports.

That is from Texas DPS website.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 01:49 PM

[Linked Image]

That’s an old blue sign.

The blue “NOTICE” sign that is commonly found in restaurant windows prohibiting unlicensed handguns is irrelevant since that law has changed. The TABC confirms “there will no longer be a requirement for certain businesses to display the blue handgun warning sign, as there will no longer be a requirement that handgun owners license their firearms.”

Restaurants, non-51-percenters, have three signs to choose from now. One refers to penal code 30.06, which prohibits concealed handguns; penal code 30.07 prohibits the open carrying of handguns; and penal code 30.05 covers criminal trespass for entering with a firearm. Some restaurants have already posted the 30.05 sign with the words “No Permitless Carry'' at the top. All three signs mean no guns on your property.

In 2021 (I believe it was) Texas added a defense to prosecution. If you are discovered carrying in a posted 30.06, or 30.07 establishment and you immediately leave the establishment.

Effectively making all but the 51% signs worthless.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 02:33 PM

[Linked Image]

That’s an old blue sign.

I was unaware that the law had changed and that sign was no longer valid.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/08/23 07:15 PM

The LTC is a good thing to keep though. Mainly it proves you’ve been vetted pretty well before any law enforcement contacts. As for no NIC check when buying one from a licensed dealer, for about two years now during the ATF orientation, all new dealers are being advised it’s a good idea to NIC all LTC holders due to the volume of LTC cardholders who have failed to relinquish their card after it was suspended or revoked. Long time dealers usually won’t though especially for long time customers.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/09/23 08:02 PM

The LTC is a good thing to keep though. Mainly it proves you’ve been vetted pretty well before any law enforcement contacts. As for no NIC check when buying one from a licensed dealer, for about two years now during the ATF orientation, all new dealers are being advised it’s a good idea to NIC all LTC holders due to the volume of LTC cardholders who have failed to relinquish their card after it was suspended or revoked. Long time dealers usually won’t though especially for long time customers.

Not exactly right.

ATF is saying to go to the Texas website and verify the LTC is still valid. If it is, good to go. No NICS check.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/17/23 02:10 PM

I just renewed mine. Did it on line and had the new card in about ten days. $38.00 well spent.

Funny thing is I did my DL renewal the same day but had to do that in person. Renewing the DL was a bigger hassle than renewing my LTC.
DPS is really starting to use technology to their advantage. On my previous LTC renewals they kept using the picture from when I got my LTC the first time.
This time they used the same picture that they took for my DL renewal.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/17/23 02:42 PM

Only a recommendation, NOT a requirement...and as JG stated.
Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/19/23 05:02 PM

Making it quicker to buy guns is worth it to me.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/20/23 01:06 PM

Some places still call in the back ground check even though you may your LTC...Academy Sports being one of them.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/20/23 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Some places still call in the back ground check even though you may your LTC...Academy Sports being one of them.

Just another reason to avoid Academy.
Posted By: Inge0071

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/20/23 04:14 PM

Is there a recorded conviction where an armed perp was stopped, and the LTC holder was convicted on 51% grounds?

My $0.02, you gotta be alive to be prosecuted and you're not crazy to ignore 51%, 100% of the time.

I keep mine current for several reasons, not the least of which is reciprocity and avoiding the new gun call-in.

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/21/23 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Inge0071
Is there a recorded conviction where an armed perp was stopped, and the LTC holder was convicted on 51% grounds?

Yes.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/24/23 10:34 PM

Makes buying new ones easier and gives confidence in buying/selling to others. Yes, you should renew.
Posted By: 10mmillie

Re: CHL Renewal? - 03/26/23 05:10 AM

I renewed mine last year for Nics checks and traveling.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum