Texas Hunting Forum

Best Snake Boots

Posted By: mudman

Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 12:17 PM

Looking to buy a pair. What do you think are the best.

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 12:31 PM

I really like the Danner 17 inch San Angelo.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 12:46 PM

You'll find some interesting info here - https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...re-your-favorite-snake-boots#Post8779751

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 01:15 PM

No time for the snake boots. I know where a den is at. Pump up sprayer with gas?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 02:59 PM

I prefer Chippewas but we are in dry country.

In wetter climates I would look for something with a rubber bottom.

Their cross terrain line should fit the bill
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 03:03 PM

For hunting I have Irish Setter Vaptreks, they are extremely comfortable.
For work around the ranch, I have a pair of Red Head Lubbocks.
No regrets on either pair after 5 years of wear.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 04:19 PM

I gassed rattlesnakes by the thousands and have been stuck countless times. I never had any issues with just leather boots at least 12" with no canvas spots. Just solid leather.
Posted By: LeftHandStan

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/05/23 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mudman
I really like the Danner 17 inch San Angelo.

This is the way. Very comfortable, even initially.

My experience with Chippewas is the exact opposite.
Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/06/23 02:03 AM

The ones that run the fastest! ………..th ther way.😜
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/06/23 01:27 PM

Been wearing these Justens for twenty five years plus. Not sure what set I am on now. Have resoled some. Wore them every day for stretches at a time. Never had any issue with them until I developed some nerve issue on my right foot. That's when I bought the Danner lace ups which are like a tennis shoe snake boot and do have their place. Now that the foot has been surgerized and the nerve extracted, I pretty much wear each of them. Those there Justens have been extremely comfortable.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/06/23 02:48 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/06/23 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mudman
Looking to buy a pair. What do you think are the best.

what size are you?
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/06/23 03:51 PM

I gave up on finding a comfortable pair of snake boots that will last and just bought some turtleskin gaiters to go over my favorite work boots; much better solution in my opinion. Not as hot, can take them off as needed, lightweight, etc.
Posted By: tgltexas

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/06/23 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint
I gave up on finding a comfortable pair of snake boots that will last and just bought some turtleskin gaiters to go over my favorite work boots; much better solution in my opinion. Not as hot, can take them off as needed, lightweight, etc.

This is what I do, too. I like them because (1) they're way cheaper, and (2) I can wear them with whatever boots I happen to have on my feet.

I bought mine at Cabela's for about $50.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/14/23 01:43 AM

Lots of folks swear by Russel, but I had a bad pair with zippers that would work. I tried to have them repaired, but they were unable to do it in a timely manner so they refunded my money. The company is under new ownership, so I’d probably give them another try. I always wanted to try the Chippewa, but never found anywhere near me that has them in stock.
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/16/23 03:00 AM

Danners the ones made in the USA are extremely comfortable. My only complaint would be that they aren’t waterproof. You can oil them to help but still not waterproof if it matters.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/16/23 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Been wearing these Justens for twenty five years plus. Not sure what set I am on now. Have resoled some. Wore them every day for stretches at a time. Never had any issue with them until I developed some nerve issue on my right foot. That's when I bought the Danner lace ups which are like a tennis shoe snake boot and do have their place. Now that the foot has been surgerized and the nerve extracted, I pretty much wear each of them. Those there Justens have been extremely comfortable.

[Linked Image]

These are the best. I have had chipewas, rockies and a couple others. These are by far the most comfortable.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/16/23 03:54 PM

By far the most comfortable I’ve owned w/zero break in required

[Linked Image]

https://tacticalgear.com/danner-17-sharptail-snake-boot-gtx-brown?sku=dnr-45040-090m&ft=e3f7bec5-8df6-438f-88ce-592a9bedc97a&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-IvB8rKa_QIV0hmtBh0FawFLEAQYAiABEgIS0vD_BwE#/23411/23549,1058,5129/1&dl=b&catr=1
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/16/23 03:58 PM

I have a couple pair of chippewa's (one for home and one I leave in s. tx.) and I really like them and they seem very comfortable to me.
In the past I have had LaCrosse and a pair of Justin (different than the ones Hud has pictured) but both had liners in them that wore through/came apart which made them damn near impossible to get on and off as well as uncomfortable.
Whatever you decide upon I would suggest staying away from any that have fabric liners in them. Also the LaCrosse had soft (but thick) soles and several times I had mesquite thorns go completely through the sole and into my foot; when this happens, removing the boot is very uncomfortable.
Posted By: jdangler

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/16/23 04:38 PM

I have chippewa's as well (the supposedly water proof version), for me they are really comfortable which made the decision to buy easier, had they not fit my feet so well I might have been inclined to look at something else. The only downside for me is they are on the warm side, and until they were broken in it was kind of a chore take them off.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/17/23 02:10 PM

Russell Moccasin
Posted By: Buschy

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/17/23 05:18 PM

Not a snake fan. I will be wearing gaitors or boots anytime I think snakes may be present!
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/18/23 03:12 PM

How many of you have actually been struck by a snake? Not bitten- (assuming snake boots) but actually struck? I've played around with diamondbacks- with a stick- and they obviously strike at the stick but as far as feeling a "bump" and realize a snake tried to bite me and the boots saved the day- so far so good. They say farmers account for a lot of the bites- out in the fields, rats after crops so snakes after rats and the farmer's hands down in the crops- and they get hit. Have any of you been hit just wearing regular leather boots with the snake unable to bite through the leather? Years ago there was a TV show of the Sweetwater rattlesnake round up- the guys were just walking around in the pit and the snakes were hitting their boots and not able to bite through- however years ago I think heavy leather boots were the norm- none of this kid glove leather.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/18/23 03:25 PM

Dave, an alfalfa farmer over along the Pecos in New Mexico said that evening, and then mornings after a rain in grass are when and where he had found snakes most active. Grass is such great cover for them; our guide on one of the interpretive hikes at Hueco Tanks wouldn't take us to one particular cave of petroglyphs and pictographs that was a highlight of the tour because the grass we would have to pass through for a couple of hundred yards was too tall for his liking. Part way through an explanation of a large pictograph mural, we all realized there was a diamondback coiled on a rock shelf a few feet behind the guide.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/18/23 04:58 PM

Out here in our desert sage brush, we get a lot of snakes, but most are bull snakes. I've had a few of each strike at me if I stepped to close, but no hits so far. I'm a lot more worried about them being up in the brush when we are pushing thru hunting deer. I would hate to get bit above the knee!! I have only been struck once by a rattle bug, and that was at work one summer evening. In the early evenings they come out in the summer, and one crawled out of a drainage culvert and coiled by a fire hydrant that I was doing maintenance on. I had on my 10" Wellington style safety shoes and it hit the top portion about 1" down from the top. regular leather stopped it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/18/23 07:18 PM

I’ve been hit 3 times and never had the fang pierce leather. But, that’s high quality leather work boots.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Best Snake Boots - 02/21/23 05:44 PM

I was over in Gila National Forest and hiking around the cliff dwellings. There was a couple of little girls in front of me. They walked right past a rattlesnake on a rock. I called them back to show them the snake. There was a lot of snakes around there, about 50 yards before that I heard the "buzz" and froze since I was wearing sneakers. In any event if you are in brush or grass where you can't see where you are planting your feet- year- wear something better than sneakers.
Posted By: hybridhunter219

Re: Best Snake Boots - 03/02/23 03:35 AM

I’ve been happy with the Justin 17” snake boots. They are comfortable
and I can wear them all day.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Best Snake Boots - 03/02/23 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by hybridhunter219

I'll 2nd this. I wear Justin work boots daily, and when I'm at the ranch, I wear Justin snake boots. Same size, same fit, same comfort.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best Snake Boots - 03/02/23 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by hybridhunter219

I'll 2nd this. I wear Justin work boots daily, and when I'm at the ranch, I wear Justin snake boots. Same size, same fit, same comfort.

Only thing I have against the Justin boots is the "V" in the front and rear. It opens a lot of vulnerable real estate on your leg for a bite, especially the top of the calf in the rear. I bought a pair and returned them after realizing how much protection I was giving up with the Justins.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Best Snake Boots - 03/02/23 03:29 PM

Just thinking. Since the pig invasion I average seeing a snake every two or three years. This includes rural roads. I used to be loaded with them and saved a small coffee can full of rattles for a grandson.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Best Snake Boots - 03/02/23 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
How many of you have actually been struck by a snake? Not bitten- (assuming snake boots) but actually struck? I've played around with diamondbacks- with a stick- and they obviously strike at the stick but as far as feeling a "bump" and realize a snake tried to bite me and the boots saved the day- so far so good. They say farmers account for a lot of the bites- out in the fields, rats after crops so snakes after rats and the farmer's hands down in the crops- and they get hit. Have any of you been hit just wearing regular leather boots with the snake unable to bite through the leather? Years ago there was a TV show of the Sweetwater rattlesnake round up- the guys were just walking around in the pit and the snakes were hitting their boots and not able to bite through- however years ago I think heavy leather boots were the norm- none of this kid glove leather.

I saw a snake handler at a texas trophy hunters show get bit. He was wearing snake boots and was in a pit full of snakes and was messing with one of them when a much larger one that he wasn’t even paying attention too off to his side struck and hit him about an inch above the top of his snake boots. He said a few cuss words, got out of the pit, sat down and pulled his boot off. Rolled up his pants and put two of those extractor suction things on the fang marks. We wandered off and when we came back by about 45 minutes later he was back in the pit.

I grew up in sweetwater and remember going hunting them darn things in high school and catching trash cans full of them. I never got struck but had quite a few close calls. We loved outside of town on 15 acres when I was growing up and we always were finding rattlesnakes. We found several in the garage, on the porch, you name it, I remember one year at Christmas we had a pile of boxes on the back porch after opening presents. It was unusually warm that year. The day after we went out to the porch to break down all the boxes and put them in the burn barrel and when we picked up the last one there was a rattler under it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum