Texas Hunting Forum

Perfect Hunting Chair?

Posted By: roughpasture_98

Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/29/23 01:26 PM

Hi Everyone. I have a really bad back and I hunt out of a ground blind. I have never really found a comfortable and functional chair. I saw this cool video on a really helpful YouTube channel about using a Gaming Chair (Like kids use for Xbox, etc). I laughed at first, but then thought, that might just be a brilliant idea! What does everyone think?

YouTube Link

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/29/23 02:20 PM

I need a new chair, so I’m glad you brought this up. And, is that a blind or a tiny house. Bed, recliner, end table, lamp, wow.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/29/23 02:22 PM

Not one to make fun of back issues (I am fused from L2-to S1), there might be something to ponder from the guys who shoot Lawn Chair Steel:

http://www.internationallawnsteelshootersassociation.com/images/
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/30/23 04:37 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/30/23 04:37 PM

I have a supply of old office chairs that were mothballed for very little reason. Fabric is intact, they raise/lower, and the other controls work. They make excellent deer-blind chairs. A gaming chair would be a great choice if you need lots of adjustment to account for a bad back.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/31/23 04:39 AM

That's the nicest hunting setup I've every seen.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/31/23 01:13 PM

My thought is to try before you buy. I just bought a new office chair, and I sat in a lot of gaming chairs before I bought. None of the gaming chairs really were right for my back. YMMV.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 01/31/23 03:55 PM

My thought is to try before you buy.

I always look funny, pulled over to the side of the road, next to a pile of somebody's spring cleaning garbage on the side of the street, trying out each of the chairs. Do I leave them, or put one in the back of the truck for the tree stand?
Posted By: tgltexas

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/01/23 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by gusick

My thoughts exactly! Man, how sweet would it be to just roll out of bed 10 minutes before the feeder goes off and get some coffee going!
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/01/23 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by tgltexas

My thoughts exactly! Man, how sweet would it be to just roll out of bed 10 minutes before the feeder goes off and get some coffee going!

That's not hunting. That's camping with weapons.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59
Originally Posted by tgltexas

That's not hunting. That's camping with weapons.

No kidding, life is good in that setup.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 02:18 PM

I'm old so camping with weapons has an attractive element that did not exist 30 years ago. Yet the one thing I want the most (not a bad back) is seat height adjustment. Getting the seat height correct for the ledge on the blind makes for easier and more accurate shooting. I've just ordered 2, 1" foam pads to help with that as it's different for every blind as they have different chairs.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 03:59 PM

I know people that shoot deer out the house windows. Works for them no lease, gas burned to go hunting and comfortable. irs

For chair height in blinds multiple people use the pneumatic chairs are great and can be found sometimes at used furniture places, bought one for a stand at gateway last year.

Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 07:29 PM

I always liked the Blynd chair -

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 07:38 PM

That's a lot fancier seat than the old ones I have.

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 07:39 PM

I never got any worn out ones from the office of a crane sales company.

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 07:48 PM

All but one of my true office chairs came with the place. It was a labor of love, rescuing them from the crappy blinds they were in. I was commenting on the Blynd chair. Fancy schmanzy.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 08:26 PM

My perfect hunting chair…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 08:26 PM

Those Blynd chairs are sturdy, durable, don't take up much space and are more comfortable than they look
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Those Blynd chairs are sturdy, durable, don't take up much space and are more comfortable than they look

No kidding, I’ve got one of the older style collecting dust in the garage.

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 09:51 PM

I'll take it!

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I'll take it!

No doubt.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/02/23 11:42 PM

Not sure if the guy in the OP pic could actually shoot out of that window from that chair. He said he only had one window and it looks to high for that guy.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/03/23 02:44 AM

What about this style?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/03/23 05:21 AM

I use old office chairs...they raise, lower, and lean back. Plus arm-rests are a must have.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/03/23 10:56 PM

Office chairs suck after the 2 seasons. They deteriate quick and the wheels fall off. Tx Hunter swivel chairs...had them for 6 seasons and just as good as the day I got them.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/05/23 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Not one to make fun of back issues (I am fused from L2-to S1), there might be something to ponder from the guys who shoot Lawn Chair Steel:

http://www.internationallawnsteelshootersassociation.com/images/

also, nothing to laugh at, 5 fusions, steel pins up & down my spine, that set up is exactly what I need
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/08/23 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Office chairs suck after the 2 seasons. They deteriate quick and the wheels fall off. Tx Hunter swivel chairs...had them for 6 seasons and just as good as the day I got them.

I've got several office chairs that are going on 5+ years without failure. Pro tip, if you live near a major university, they likely have a 'surplus' division, where older/non-matching chairs/tables/other furniture are sent when people change offices or redecorate. You can usually find some pretty good chairs for less than $20 each.

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/08/23 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Office chairs suck after the 2 seasons.

Not ones from the 60s or 70s. Ugly as sin, but indestructible. banana2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/08/23 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by BDB
Office chairs suck after the 2 seasons.

Not ones from the 60s or 70s. Ugly as sin, but indestructible. banana2

pre -mdf
Posted By: PMK

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/08/23 04:44 PM

the State Surplus Store on Bolm road in Austin has lots of nice used chairs of various types, styles, fabrics, etc. for pretty cheap. They also have knifes, and other assorted items that were confiscated by airport security.
Posted By: Rglover

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 02/26/23 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
I use old office chairs...they raise, lower, and lean back. Plus arm-rests are a must have.

Roti on, we use the hi back office chair. Best thing ever for hunting stands
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 03/01/23 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Not sure if the guy in the OP pic could actually shoot out of that window from that chair. He said he only had one window and it looks to high for that guy.

Speaking of window heights, what do you think is the appropriate window height in a home made blind? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 03/01/23 02:31 AM

[Linked Image]

bolt
Posted By: Andrewhunter08

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 03/01/23 04:14 AM

$40k for a chair?! Really...
Posted By: freerange

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 03/01/23 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Speaking of window heights, what do you think is the appropriate window height in a home made blind? Thanks Daniel

If you are asking about floor to bottom of window I would say 40". Most factory blinds are within an inch of that from my experience. Ive found that most chairs are about 19" and Im an average size guy and those numbers work for me.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Perfect Hunting Chair? - 03/04/23 01:53 AM

I like free chairs. Have two office chairs from the mid 90s still in service. Been sitting in the blinds for about 20 yrs now. Wheels quit? Take them off or replace them. Done both.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum