Texas Hunting Forum

Wild Pig Bacon

Posted By: Black02z28

Wild Pig Bacon - 12/21/22 04:12 PM

Kicking around the idea of catching a young sow and feeding her out to make bacon. Has anyone tried it? Can they get enough fat on them to make it worth the trouble?
Posted By: jaustin

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/21/22 04:55 PM

I think it would work fine but I’ve never killed one with enough belly to try.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/21/22 05:27 PM

They’ll definitely get fat enough if you’re feeding. Wouldn’t be any different than a domestic pig in that scenario
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/21/22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
Kicking around the idea of catching a young sow and feeding her out to make bacon. Has anyone tried it? Can they get enough fat on them to make it worth the trouble?

Yes, just pump the feed to her. up
Posted By: bp3

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/22/22 04:42 PM

Had a friend that had a friend that had a busy restaurant that saved the scraps, and he fed 3 of them from 50 lb range to 200 lbs then corn fed them for 2-3 months.Turned out great.
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/22/22 04:54 PM

I knew a guy in college that caught a baby, raised it and when it got too big slaughtered it.

He fed it table scraps, some feed store feed and a beer/grape koolaid mixture.

It was some pretty good meat.
Posted By: don k

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/22/22 05:15 PM

All I know is that they don't grow out on feed like a domestic pig does.
Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/22/22 05:21 PM

As long as you trim off the nips, should be good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jesse Griffiths

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/22/22 06:33 PM

That will work. A pig ration or anything with some protein will produce better, firmer fat than straight corn, which can yield softer fat that won't cure/slice as nicely.
Posted By: Z71nTexas

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/22/22 06:33 PM

foodthats pretty funny
Posted By: Espy

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/23/22 06:43 PM

When I trap some small ones I will give them to my Brother in law to feed out. We tried it a couple of times just didnt get much bacon out of them like we thought we would.
Posted By: cos

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/23/22 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by don k
All I know is that they don't grow out on feed like a domestic pig does.

For sure
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/23/22 08:13 PM

I would get a good quality domestic oinker if going to the trouble to feed one out.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Wild Pig Bacon - 12/23/22 09:37 PM

Well my experience with hogs, be they wild, spanish mule foots, old spots, or Tamworths, you're looking for length of belly as much as your looking for fat to get volume of bacon. Tamworth are kings of this arena, they are the bacon pig. Old spots come in second, they're commercially raised for bacon. I've raised a few Spanish mule foots and while we got some bacon it was sparse and seemed very much in line with size of belly I've experienced on feral hogs. We slaughtered those mulefoots at about 300 lbs and they yielded about 15 lbs of bacon.

I've only done bacon out of one feral pig, a piggy sow north of of 150lbs. Only got 8 lbs of very fatty bacon out of her. Never fed one out but again it's gonna depend on belly length. Due to their feral/ mutt nature and genetics I would say it's a crap shoot on whether it would be worthwhile but there is a possibility you may wind up with something amazing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum