Texas Hunting Forum

Double tapping deer with a .223

Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:46 AM

Hypothetical situation: you’re forced to hunt deer with an AR15.

Feeder is 70 yards away, and your target buck walks out.

Are you putting two shots on him or just one?

Three?

Just curious.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:53 AM

70 yards. One round. Base of the ear.

But all that is moot because nobody is going to be "forced" to hunt with an AR15.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:56 AM

Make one count and never worry about a second. Shot truck loads of deer with a 223 and zero issues what so ever and they make tons of good bullet options these days. Shoot something better than a 55 grain cup and core. Options I would consider good in no particular order: 60 grain nosler partition, 64 grain nosler bonded solid base, Barnes, 70 grain speer, fusion and depending on what twist a ton of other long heavy bullets. Squeeze the trigger… once and go collect your deer.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 04:55 AM

My AR-15 is chambered in 6.8SPC - one will drop him, no problem.

JR
Posted By: kry226

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Make one count and never worry about a second. Shot truck loads of deer with a 223 and zero issues what so ever and they make tons of good bullet options these days. Shoot something better than a 55 grain cup and core. Options I would consider good in no particular order: 60 grain nosler partition, 64 grain nosler bonded solid base, Barnes, 70 grain speer, fusion and depending on what twist a ton of other long heavy bullets. Squeeze the trigger… once and go collect your deer.

Yup. Not my preferred round for deer, but I do have a couple of boxes I loaded with 65gr SGKs.

Originally Posted by jrgocards
My AR-15 is chambered in 6.8SPC - one will drop him, no problem.

JR

Same here.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo

Three?

Just curious.

Try the 77 gr TMK.

https://stand1armory.com/product/stand-1-armory-223-77gr-tmk/

I always put a second shot in an animal still standing rifle or archery

High shoulder shot
QTR’ing to neck shoulder crease
Double lung

In that order of preference for me
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:04 PM

If it were me and the AR was chambered in 223, I wouldn't hunt with it personally. I don't allow anyone on my ranch to deer or pig hunt with 223. Had hunters try it a few times and am tired of trying to find animals. 2cents
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:11 PM

One pop right behind the shoulder has worked for me too many times to keep track of. Just use proper projectile construction. Most people don’t.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:33 PM

Only one is all that is needed if you are wise in your choice of bullet and put it in the right place.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:34 PM

If you want to use an AR, go with the 350 Legend or 450 Legend.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:48 PM

I have a box of 62gr Fed Fusion just for this purpose, but I haven't used it. 70 yards at my place is easy and my deer are small, relatively speaking. I would shoot with confidence. High shoulder or heart-lung area.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:52 PM

Unless he's still standing, just one shot. The concept of a quick double tap is great for CQB. Not so much for 70 yards away hunting.
Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Three?

Just curious.

Try the 77 gr TMK.

High shoulder shot
Double lung

I have been looking for some of these. Is this website legit?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by aggiegolfer09
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Three?

Just curious.

Try the 77 gr TMK.

High shoulder shot
Double lung

I have been looking for some of these. Is this website legit?

Yes Tx based company so shipping is quick. I picked up 80 rd from them couple weeks back
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 04:10 PM

Double tapping will get you two improper trigger pulls, and two improperly placed shots.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 04:14 PM

Two to the chest, one to the head
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 04:58 PM

Use a well constructed bullet and fire a single well aimed shot.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 05:10 PM

Military and law enforcement use .223 as primary round in combat situations, we qualified in the Army out to 300 meters with sights not scopes or red dots. Why would .223 not kill an animal that is about the same body weight as a human? I hunt with .243, .308, and 30-06 but I would shoot a deer with a .223 if that is what I had.
Posted By: howl

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 05:31 PM

I've watched my little girl drop too many with a 223 to even think about it. AR-15 + 62gr Fusion works about as well as anything on feeder deer. Choice of bullet matters.

I have played with double taps at distance. Either I stink or it's not really a thing on targets the move as fast as deer.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BassBuster1
Military and law enforcement use .223 as primary round in combat situations, we qualified in the Army out to 300 meters with sights not scopes or red dots. Why would .223 not kill an animal that is about the same body weight as a human? I hunt with .243, .308, and 30-06 but I would shoot a deer with a .223 if that is what I had.

It would, but there are much better options. The military has different reasons for selecting a cartridge for combat than hunters do on deer, right?
Posted By: bjh

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 05:42 PM

Right they use fmj. to wound the enemy, then it takes two or four men to care for the wounded, thus taking more men out of the fight.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 05:53 PM

Double tap a pig but not a deer. Deer usually leave blood trails even with a 223. I have Boars not leave blood trails even with a magnum. In some cases with pigs the only blood trails I get comes from thier nose after the lungs fill with blood. Those are the trails that usually start about 10-20 yards from where they are shot. Heck go ahead and triple tap a hog if you can.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Exactly right on the bolded part!

I too have killed too many to count with both .222 & .223! Many were bucks and one shot through the pump room is all that's required!!

Last, most light barreled over the counter AR 223s won't shoot 2" groups at 100 yards and have HORRIBLE triggers! I wouldn't be caught dead shooting at a deer with an inaccurate rifle!
In fact, if my rifle does not shoot well under 1" 5-shot groups at 100 yards it is never going to the stand with me....ever! Most of mine will shoot under 1/2" groups.
I'm not near as rock steady as I was just 20 years ago and I want the most accurate rifle with great triggers in them I can get because of that reason!
Posted By: Judd

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/07/22 10:37 PM

Blows the lungs right out of them...ask FJB, he said it so it has to be so.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/08/22 12:18 AM

1 shot, square nuts to the shoulder, if you wanna get fancy go high shoulder

Ive killed too many w a 223 or 22-250 to think otherwise

On those small calibers just know your limits, its as easy as that

Ill bet the 1st 10 I killed were w a 223, because its all I had
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/08/22 02:08 AM

I have taken two doe with the .223, one at 170 yards with a 65 Grain Sierra Gameking, and one at 45 yards with the 64 Grain Nosler Solid Base Bonded. Both shots were shoulder/spine/shoulder with exit holes, and both were DRT.

Stout bullets and perfect shot placement are what make .22 centerfires work well on deer.
Posted By: pdotson

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/10/22 01:38 PM

If they give you a second shot, take a second shot...223, .308. 6.5, 30-06, whatever, shoot the animal until it is down.
Posted By: Elkivory2

Re: Double tapping deer with a .223 - 12/10/22 11:21 PM

One shot with the right bullet- no problem.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum