Texas Hunting Forum

Snake boots, how many wear them?

Posted By: Mr. T.

Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 02:51 PM

I just bought a property in Arkansas to hunt on. Several of my friends say to get snake boots. Several say no reason too.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 02:58 PM

I wear them up until it gets cold. Is it necessary? Not yet. I've never been struck or struck at. I have had a couple of "Oh Chit" moments where is was uncomfortably close to a venomous snake before I noticed it. I have had those moments both wearing snake boots and not wearing snake boots. I prefer snake boots for the peace of mind.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 03:00 PM

I don't wear snake boots for snakes. I wear them for thorns, cactus, barb wire, and all other kinds of stuff i typically walk thru
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 03:01 PM

I wear them if we will be out working on the deer lease. I know I'll be walking in grass and moving stuff and it helps protect from other things also. If not, I'll wear my normal hunting boots. We have seen snakes multiple times, and it does give you more protection and a little bit of piece of mind.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 03:01 PM

West TX yes when step out the truck. When I hunted SW Arkansas all over area including your new area, nope; but I did encounter some large mocassins in the sloughs that make you pucker
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 03:04 PM

Due to various foot issues, I don't invest in expensive snake boots, but it isn't because I don't want them. I settle for wearing snake gaiters.

Do I need them? Never been struck by a snake. Of course, I could get bitten tomorrow. There is no way to know. However, I have had my lower legs shredded numerous types by briars. The cost has been minimal compared to the relief I have attained, plus a sense that I am less likely to suffer from a venomous snake bite.

Mr. T., if your property is kept like the green of a golf course and you only go out during the day, then you don't need snake boots. If it is raw land and vegetation over your ankles, snake boots or at least snake gaiters are a good idea.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I don't wear snake boots for snakes. I wear them for thorns, cactus, barb wire, and all other kinds of stuff i typically walk thru

Same
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 03:21 PM

I have lace up "Rockies" that aren't much heavier than regular boots so I wear them maybe half the time. If I'll be out at dark or in habitat with grass or brush where I can't see where I'm putting my feet, then I'll usually wear them.
QUESTION. There is a rattlesnake round up every year in Sweetwater and the guys walk around in the pit wearing cowboy boots. It LOOKS LIKE a rattlesnake can't bit through the boot but there are a lot of different type boots. When I was a kid I had some made out of bull hide. They were pretty tough but now boots are made out of glove leather, very thin leather. Any comments appreciated.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Due to various foot issues, I don't invest in expensive snake boots, but it isn't because I don't want them. I settle for wearing snake gaiters.

Do you have a brand you recommend? My foot shape means I have an extremely limited selection of boots and gaiters seem like a better way to go to help with the flexibility of shoe type.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 04:04 PM

Like others, if I am out at dark, especially to and from blind, I wear them for piece of mind - and thorns. Never been struck at, but been too close for comfort a time or two. In Ark, I am guessing it is not just rattlesnakes, but also copperheads. I grew up in SE Okla and believe copperheads to be more aggressive, and harder to see. Those things blend into dead leaves and almost disappear, so snake boots a very good idea.

Mine are slip on Rockies, and pretty comfortable, but warm. My wife has the lace ups and swears they are the most comfortable shoes she owns. She probably wears hers more than I wear mine as I sometimes just go with my work boots when out during day.

Also, while it hasn't happened to me, I've heard plenty of stories of ranchers working on fence or cattle for hours, only to look down and have a snake close that they hadn't seen until that moment. They are stealthy!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 04:24 PM

I wear them year round when hunting in south texas.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 04:25 PM

Like a spare tire, you only need them when you need them. Love my comfortable lace ups.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

My lease is all thorns and prickly stuff, so it’s a no brainer.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 05:17 PM

I've been hit by big rattlesnakes several times while just wearing leather boots. Never had an issue.
Posted By: PanamaZ

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 05:17 PM

Boots and gaiters at all times in West Texas while at the farm.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 05:46 PM

I have a pair for working at the ranch and a pair for hunting when it’s above 50 degrees.
I stepped over a small rattler layer up under my threshold the first night I spent at my ranch. I’ve worn then religiously ever since.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 06:10 PM

I wear them most all the time, still watch the ground, but a little insurance to help protect me. Summer time sucks in them, but suck it up and get your work or fun done with little to worry about.
Posted By: jcneef

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 06:13 PM

i wear snake and briar chaps when doing a lot of hiking around our ranch out west. Gives you a little extra level of conform going through cactus for hours on end.
Posted By: LeftHandStan

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pappybear
I have a pair for working at the ranch and a pair for hunting when it’s above 50 degrees.

Same. Below 50 degrees or so I opt for comfort and ditch the boots.

Speaking of comfort, I highly recommend the Danner San Angelo snake boots.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 08:39 PM

I primarily wear snake boots bc of cactus and other prickly thorny plants in west Texas. Makes stalking hogs at night much easier.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 08:44 PM

Depends on temp and how I feel...I wear them but can't say I wear them every time. I've got a Magellan pair that look like a square toe cowboy boot.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 09:44 PM

If I'm walking throughout my place in the warmer months, I absolutely wear them unless I'm on a tractor or something like that. During the hunting season, I find that I'll wear insulated rubber boots for the cold morning hunts, but I'll wear my Chips during the afternoon hunts as it usually was warmed up considerably during the day.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/27/22 10:09 PM

I wear them every time.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 01:47 AM

Raised and live on a ranch here and never owned a pair. Watch where I step.
Ran around in tennis shoes then and do now. Probably not smart but I’m used to it.
I have been tempted but never pulled the trigger.
And we have plenty of rattlers here.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 02:24 AM

I hunt near Cotulla and wear them all of the time.

The current pair made by Danner are very comfortable and help protect against thorns too.

Make sure to watch up as well as down as rattlers can and do climb up in the brush.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 02:41 AM

I wore them everyday when I managed a ranch over 35 miles from Cotulla. I was on the ranch alone most of the year and the closest hospital with antivenom was 63 miles away and next closest was 84 miles. I wore them due to killing over 50 snakes per year and the distance to a hospital. I was born and raised in South Texas and learned to watch for snakes every day of the year. I've killed them 2 days before Christmas and 2 days after Christmas when it snowed on Christmas eve. Temps were in the 40s that afternoon we killed two snakes. I don't were snake boots now and we have killed 8 rattlesnakes this year in NW Gillespie County.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 02:47 AM

I wear them ,because we have a lot of cactus. I don't worry about snakes.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 03:18 AM

When I was young, had a 5 foot rattlesnake crawl between my buddies feet when we were dove hunting down in Cotulla. Been wearing them since. Was on an invited quail hunt several years ago with a bunch of business colleagues. A couple of guys did not have snake boots. A guy without them was walking in front of one of the guides and felt something move under his feet as he walked by. The guide followed right behind him and got struck in the back of his snake boot calf high. The venom was dripping down the boot. Said the force of the strike felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat on the back of his calf. Needless to say the guys without snake boots hightailed it to town to get some snake boots.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 11:25 AM

If you can find a pair that's comfortable for you then why not? I wear them around my house when doing yard work. There are places that the grass gets a little high and it gives me some comfort when I can't see the ground where I step. Copperheads are an issue where I am. I used to wear them al the time when I hunted out near Crowell. We saw and killed lots of rattlers there. I looked for a long time before I found some that would go on and off easy. if they are a pain to get into I knew I wouldn't go to the trouble.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 01:42 PM

I have never worn them hunting but I wear them at work all the time. When hunting I am not that worried because I am not as distracted and only walk where I want to meaning more cleared paths. At work I am often distracted looking at survey equipment and not watching where I walk and I also often have to go through nasty thick areas with who knows what hiding in there.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 01:50 PM

I've been struck by a rattler in tall grass, luckily, I was wearing my snake boots. Like others have said they're helpful for fending off the thorny stuff.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I wore them everyday when I managed a ranch over 35 miles from Cotulla. I was on the ranch alone most of the year and the closest hospital with antivenom was 63 miles away and next closest was 84 miles. I wore them due to killing over 50 snakes per year and the distance to a hospital. I was born and raised in South Texas and learned to watch for snakes every day of the year. I've killed them 2 days before Christmas and 2 days after Christmas when it snowed on Christmas eve. Temps were in the 40s that afternoon we killed two snakes. I don't were snake boots now and we have killed 8 rattlesnakes this year in NW Gillespie County.

WHY did you quit wearing them?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 03:57 PM

Wear mine all the time. You can't watch wear you're stepping when you're pig hunting at night, especially running. That said, I wear them mainly to protect my legs against thorns and especially cactus.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 04:18 PM

I remember laughing at people who wore snake boots, ear plugs, clip on cap lights & such. Now I readily utilize all and laugh at myself.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/28/22 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I've been hit by big rattlesnakes several times while just wearing leather boots. Never had an issue.

If you are still out there...the snakes couldn't bite through a leather boot? I wonder whether snake boots are overkill. Years ago folks just wore high top leather boots. I tried gaiters but sometimes the bottom of the gaiter audibly rubs against the boot, which isn't great for stalk type hunting.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 01:06 AM

I do. Almost stepped on a cottonmouth several.years ago bow hunting. Glad I had snake boots on. Always wear them but it isn't just snakes that they are good for.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
However, I have had my lower legs shredded numerous types by briars.

Yeah, sometimes it would be good to have boots of some kind on.

Greenbriar is bad where I am located.

[Linked Image]

Then an 'over-swing' on a soft pine sapling right after sharpening my machete. Had me on my second towel here. First towel completely blood soaked. All the way to the shin bone and beyond. Boots might have been appropriate here as well.

[Linked Image]

I don't wear Snake Boots in Deep East Texas because we really only have Copperheads and Cottonmouths. Just regular leather boots will suffice for those. I DO wear snake boots when in South Texas though.

A few years ago....I was checking some game cameras and came up on this Buttermilk Racer. It was a cool November morning and the snake was not moving at ALL.

I didn't know if it was dead or just sluggish from the temperature. Had its head buried beneath its body. NO movement whatsoever. So I nudged it with my foot/shoe and it popped me before I could blink an eye. Just a scratch...but they are FAST.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 03:03 AM

Have never worn them....I just always watch where I am walking and I don't really walk through tall grass much, but I do wear cowboy boots all the time. I very rarely see snakes where I hunt.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 05:33 AM

I just wear heavy leather boots all the time, but never snake boots. I've seen plenty of venomous snakes, but never really a close call. For me, its just not worth it to be uncomfortable all the time just to be protected from a pretty unlikely occurrence. I understand its a risk, but so is driving to where I'll hunt.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 12:50 PM

I grew up in the country and have never worn them. It is just second nature to keep an eye on the ground. 58 years without any problems.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
I grew up in the country and have never worn them. It is just second nature to keep an eye on the ground. 58 years without any problems.

Even with boots on.....I keep an eye out. Like you....I am just accustomed to doing so. 68 years and no issues so far. The only snakes I've been bitten by were ones I was handling, all of those bites were non-venomous.
Posted By: jdangler

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 02:22 PM

Wear em just about every time I am out at the lease, better to have and not need, then need and not have in my opinion
Posted By: J.R.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 02:23 PM

I was blood-trailing a wounded boar at night a couple years ago through a dry creek bed. BAM! I had stepped on a copperhead that struck me in the ankle. I have NO idea how that strike didn't make it through my jeans and simple, leather boots, but it didn't. All I can figure is that because I stepped on him, he didn't have a good angle.

Now, I wear snake boots every moment in the field unless weather conditions mean they just won't be out at all.
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 08:50 PM

Cowboy boots do the job for me

I buy a new pair of Ariats every 5 or so years and retire the aged pair for yard/outside type work. Wear’em all around for the same reasons mentioned above too. Thorns, brush, snakes, whatever
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/29/22 09:00 PM

I always wear them in South Texas day and night. Nearly got bit on the 19 of Jan south of Freer, in some areas it's a long way to anti venom...
Posted By: LeftHandStan

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 07/30/22 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

Out of curiosity, what's been your experience when it comes to being too hot (temp wise) for rattlesnakes? I'm thinking summer time, noon to five pm or so. Any encounters when things were on the hot side?
Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 05:08 PM

Never had a pair until about 5 years ago when I got on a lease in Palo Pinto. Never saw a snake until the one time my buddy nearly stepped on one coming back to the 4 wheeler from turkey hunting. New lease further west and still wear them. Like others have said helps with the brush and thorns walking through the pasture. Of course the only snake I have seen was next to the RV tire while I was wearing crocs![Linked Image]
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 06:46 PM

I wear them when hunting, dove or deer. Better safe than sorry, plus if I am probably going to hunt in boots anyway so why not snake boots.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 08:17 PM

I wear mine even in the winter. They keep my feet warm, and protect from cactus and thorny brush. Plus S Texas rattle bugs are out all year.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 08:27 PM

I wear them when hunting by myself around here and South Texas. I am too old to get out of the way and my vision is not quite as good as it was thirty years ago. I have been struck at on two occasions and it is a little unnerving. I have never been struck but witnessed a good buddy get it on the hand.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 08:36 PM

I would wear them during turkey season and in the fall until it started getting real cold at night. Probably until mid-November and even then there were no guarantees that you wouldn't meet up with one.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 10:23 PM

I need to. Have had 2 close calls with moccasins while turkey hunting.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/01/22 10:25 PM

Usually just have on my heavy leather hunting boots, or Wellington-style pull on work boots. Have been hit in the side of the pull on, and stepped on a rattler and got bit on the toe of the hunting boot. No problem either time. Out on the desert and in the lavas we push the bush for whitetails. They love to hunker down in the 3-5 foot tall sagebrush, and we used to bust thru that to kick them out on a dead run. The first time I found a buzz worm waist high in the sage cured me of that! I'm way worried about getting bit above the knee or waist, and don't go thru that crap unless there's snow on the ground and its below freezing now. smile. As far as too hot, I don't think there is such a thing. Ive found them when it is way over 100, but there is too sunny. They will be laid up in the shade, or at the base of a tree or bush
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/02/22 12:27 AM

I wear Chippewa snake boots for the brush and peace of mind as folks said. Also, they are some of the most comfortable boots I own.

I wear them around the yard when doing work as well. I’ve had them for about 6 years and they still are still holding strong. Big fan of Chippewa snake boots.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/02/22 02:13 AM

Just about every time I'm out in the woods or fields. When I'm not wearing them I seem to run into a rattlesnake
Posted By: hetman

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/02/22 03:51 AM

yes ,i wear snake boots . If for no other reason than the cost of treatment. Also add helicopter ride to nearest facility with antivenom SSSSS. And your insurance may or may not cover expenses & ride to hospital .

Antivenom can save your life, but it doesn’t come cheap. Each vial costs about $2,500 and treatment requires a few vials on average. One professor at Texas A&M University’s College of Veterinary Medicine says it is not uncommon for medical bills to total $50,000 or more after a bite.
Posted By: Ag Hoff 90

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/03/22 10:15 PM

Chips when at deer camp in south Texas whenever it is warm enough for them to be out and about.
Posted By: hawk

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/03/22 11:24 PM

I wear them. I've encountered rattlesnakes during dove, deer, and turkey hunting. Also helps with all of the cactus here.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 04:08 PM

I have a lace up pair at each ranch, and one that is just like typical a rubber boot - super easy to put on and take off. I keep those in my truck.

Before I get out of my truck to open the ranch gate, they go on. When I leave and lock up the gate, I come back into the truck and take them off.

I use them for extra protection for venomous snakes, but just as equally, for cactus, thorns, etc.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by hetman
yes ,i wear snake boots . If for no other reason than the cost of treatment. Also add helicopter ride to nearest facility with antivenom SSSSS. And your insurance may or may not cover expenses & ride to hospital .

Antivenom can save your life, but it doesn’t come cheap. Each vial costs about $2,500 and treatment requires a few vials on average. One professor at Texas A&M University’s College of Veterinary Medicine says it is not uncommon for medical bills to total $50,000 or more after a bite.

After reading about the flight costs of emergency helicopter rides, I bought a family plan for helicopter insurance...

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch

After reading about the flight costs of emergency helicopter rides, I bought a family plan for helicopter insurance...

Which help service did you join? Seems that there are a few, and they cover different areas.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch

Which help service did you join? Seems that there are a few, and they cover different areas.

I have Airmed for whole family 400 for 5 years I think

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 04:57 PM

What areas does Airmed cover? North Texas, other regions of Texas, out of state?

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 04:57 PM

AirMed Care as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
What areas does Airmed cover? North Texas, other regions of Texas, out of state?

https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/air_ambulance-service/coverage-area-pricing
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/04/22 10:05 PM

I’ll say this the ONE time I did not wear any I got struck at by a rattlesnake. Thankfully I was aware of my surroundings and saw it before hand but it could have been bad. And closest hospital was about an hour away. So yes. I do wear them.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/05/22 02:01 AM

About 35 or 40 years ago, I had snakes everywhere. South of Bowie.Mostly rattlers. Then about 20 years ago we had a 4 year drought and lost an awful lot of wildlife; snakes included. Now, a snake of any kind is a rarity. In the last 5 years I’ve seen 2 rattlers. Both times I got so excited that I got out of my pickup and went over to look at it.

Their demise pretty well correlates to the arrival of pigs.
Posted By: TKM

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/05/22 02:22 AM

Question for those with AirMedCare. If you need air transport and emergency personnel on scene calls in a request for transport who decides what service to use?
I've had AMC in the past and have heard you can't choose/make that decision.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/08/22 03:20 AM

I own snake boots but hate to wear them. Too dang hot. Mostly snakes are in predictable places given the time and weather and I just pay more attention in those places. Occasionally I will wear them while I’m working in a place with lots of snakes where I can’t see where I’m stepping and need to focus more on what I’m doing. It has to be pretty bad though. I hate to wear snake boots.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/12/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I remember laughing at people who wore snake boots, ear plugs, clip on cap lights & such. Now I readily utilize all and laugh at myself.

+1 truth!!!
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/12/22 05:57 PM

Just ordered a new pair of Rocky Snake boots. Most every year, I am wading water where I hunt, with one stand being less than 15 yards off of the edge of a lake. Seen way too many Cottonmouths to not wear them, that and all the briars we have.
Posted By: Biv210

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/17/22 04:23 PM

I bought a pair of Chippewa snake boots a while back and wear them whenever I hunt in south Texas. I’ve had way to many close calls. After breaking them in mowing the grass and odd jobs during the off season they’re very comfortable. I love the vibram sole.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/17/22 04:56 PM

95% of the time I have mine on. I despise the rattlers.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/17/22 09:16 PM

One of my friends was cutting some trees not far from my house and he had tromped around a tree deciding which way to drop it, and whenever he got into position and he started cutting it, he felt something “hit” his leg a couple of times. He stopped cutting and looked down to see a copperhead striking his leg with his mouth closed. It never bit him. He said that it was just hitting him. confused2
Posted By: mikei

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/17/22 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder
I would wear them during turkey season and in the fall until it started getting real cold at night. Probably until mid-November and even then there were no guarantees that you wouldn't meet up with one.

I wear mine any time I'm out and about at the ranch. Hot or not, I wear them because I'm too old (83) to handle a snake bite, and too broke to pay for the resulting transportation and treatment! And, as mentioned, they help a lot in protecting me from cactus spines as I slog around.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/18/22 12:59 AM

I generally just wear regular work shoes/boots. Since the hogs invaded my place about 15 years ago, my booming rattler and copper head population disappeared. The last one, on my place, that I saw was about 5+ years ago. I now have no snakes.

I would prefer snakes to pigs.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/24/22 02:49 AM

Snake boots, how many wear them?

I like Lizard better. wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/24/22 09:15 AM

Wear the, all the time in the field.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/24/22 10:09 AM

1 wear these. Peace of mind. [Linked Image]

I use this on them as well: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: COFF (TFF)

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/25/22 02:22 AM

I am not overly afraid of snakes when I walk around most places in south and west Texas. It has been drilled into me from the time I was a boy to pay attention to where you step, and you can generally walk around a potential snake hiding spot.

The OP mentioned land in Arkansas though. Depending on what part of the state, the terrain can be very different. Walking up and down rocky hills and creek bottoms you are constantly stepping over and around logs and rocks, and snakes will strike out from under them unseen and without warning.

I like these Snake Gaiters. The material is more pliable than most with the stiff plastic inserts and is more comfortable to wear. Mine have not been tested vs. a snake, but they are effective against cactus and mesquite thorns.
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/29/22 02:08 PM

High-top hunting boots and brush pants for me. Although, I may be singing a different tune if I step on a rattler.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/29/22 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I have lace up "Rockies" that aren't much heavier than regular boots so I wear them maybe half the time. If I'll be out at dark or in habitat with grass or brush where I can't see where I'm putting my feet, then I'll usually wear them.
QUESTION. There is a rattlesnake round up every year in Sweetwater and the guys walk around in the pit wearing cowboy boots. It LOOKS LIKE a rattlesnake can't bit through the boot but there are a lot of different type boots. When I was a kid I had some made out of bull hide. They were pretty tough but now boots are made out of glove leather, very thin leather. Any comments appreciated.

Maybe the cool floor from air conditioners keeps them calm.
Posted By: don k

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/29/22 10:41 PM

I am 75 years old and I have seen 1 rattler close enough to strike if he wanted to. So no, I don't wear any type of boots. Snake or otherwise.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/30/22 12:45 AM

I wear them just in case I might bump into Joel Osteen.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/30/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad

That mullet might be dangerous.
Posted By: Buschy

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/30/22 04:26 PM

I am always wearing mine! Getting bit would be expensive!
Posted By: J. Richard

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/31/22 08:33 PM

[b]Wear 'em as often as I can, will be that once in a lifetime snake bite when I forget.[/b]
[Linked Image]
[b][/b]
Posted By: RGG_123

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 08/31/22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by J. Richard
[b]Wear 'em as often as I can, will be that once in a lifetime snake bite when I forget.[/b]
[Linked Image]
[b][/b]

Those are my boots too. Piece of mind as well. When I was a teenager I actually stepped on a snake. My fault really I wasnt paying attention and just felt a bump on the road. Cant remember ever running so fast in my life.

Second time my was walking in the woods with my daughter, she stepped on a snake. Luckily it was dead. Have never felt that much panic in my life...
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/01/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad

This…this made my day. Thank you 😂
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/02/22 02:47 AM

i wear em in march and october i hunt mostly in maverick co we have possible 6 foot plus snakes but like the man said the pigs got most of them i see mostly blue indigos we have several around the tanks actually the last two rattlers i saw i left alone they seem to be rare now and like donk i like wearing comfortable shoe in the pasture now just walk on the sunny side of bushes and you are usually ok
Posted By: jerry hart

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/13/22 03:37 AM

i wear high top leather logging boots, but for my young sons, they re always wearing snake boots. They're protected from whatever has to offer. In Texas snakes,plants, thistles, and good scrub brush, in Louisiana snakes and alligators dont like the taste and will release it quickly!

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/13/22 01:35 PM

If a guy is really serious about protecting himself from the big snakes in south Texas, he needs much more than boots, I would recommend chaps.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/13/22 02:04 PM

I stopped wearing snake boots after my old school cabela's brand wore out and started using turtle skin gaiters. Way more comfortable and lighter weight than any of the newer boot brands I tried.
Posted By: DaveTexas

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/14/22 02:13 AM

I just had my Chippewa snake boots stretched at the neck at show repair store
so I could get them off easier
Made a huge improvement.
Posted By: AAFD

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/14/22 03:05 PM

When I was a little kid my dad made me wear plastic soccer shin guards on my shins & calves because there were no snake boots or gaiters for kids in the 80's. Back then he had (and still has) aluminum gaiters that he wore. I grew up hunting in South Texas brush country and was taught to have my head on a swivel. I've never encountered a rattlesnake while hunting, and don't want to. I always wear my snake boots, and even today, my dad is compelled to remind me of the dangers of snakes when he knows I'm heading to the property.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/14/22 03:47 PM

The snakes are out. I have a guy working by Wichita Falls he has seen ten rattlers in the past two weeks.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/14/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
If a guy is really serious about protecting himself from the big snakes in south Texas, he needs much more than boots, I would recommend chaps.
Adios,
Gary

See my post under "Snakes are Moving". My good friend, the late Julian Weslow used rattlers from Kingsville to do his "de-snaking clinics" and had a pen of them where he would do seminars. I was with him when he got bitten on the wrist in Laredo and was in the hall when he was bitten in the lower thigh at Lufkin. Rattlers sense heat and while Julian was wearing snake boots and bermuda shorts, a big aggressive rattler found that naked skin right below the shorts. This was about a 5 footer and a "high striker"...those of you who have been around a lot of snakes know what I mean. Chaps are the only thing that will protect you from a snake like this. Unfortunately, Julian was still in the hospital when we needed to gather the snakes back up to return to Kingsville. Since I helped him from time to time, the re-boxing was my job. I knew the big, almost black rattler that struck him and he had my attention so I attempted to capture him first. That snake was so strong, I had to catch him three times before I got him back in the box.
The snake I saw last Saturday morning was much larger than this one and no doubt could strike up to the groin area. ironically, this ratter was almost black like the one that got Julian.
Around Menard, I will wear snake boots when I feel they are active and ground cover makes seeing them difficult. I feel the boots give me adequate protection around here but not South Texas or Mexico. If I was really concerned about them down there then I would be wearing leather chaps or snake chaps.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: duffas

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/25/22 08:42 PM

IIRC rattlesnake is only one that can strike, the rest chew for the bite. Leather work boots when at the ranch.

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/25/22 08:52 PM

Had a game warden tell me he saw a rattler on King Ranch big enough to bite you on the butt as you turn to run away from it. bolt
Posted By: browning66

Re: Snake boots, how many wear them? - 09/26/22 10:15 PM

I wear snake boots when dove hunting. I walk thru tall sunflowers and usually don't watch my feet if retreiving a downed bird . Any time I have low cut shoes/boots I am careful and watch where I put my hands and feet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum