Texas Hunting Forum

Whistlin’ Mr Buddy

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/02/22 03:53 PM

I have one of the battery start models, Big Buddy?

What makes the damn thing whistle? Not all the time, but at least this trip, most of the time. Does it with just pilot or when burning.

Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/02/22 04:26 PM

Try cleaning the tip where flame comes out. May have some junk in the line or carbon build up at the tip. Best I've got. confused2
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/02/22 04:40 PM

Just the tip
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/02/22 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

What makes the damn thing whistle? Not all the time, but at least this trip, most of the time. Does it with just pilot or when burning.

Thanks
Charlie

We would need to know which model you have or a picture of it. Big Buddy heater (Mr. Heater) is Piezo ignition (to light it). Some older models have a fan built in that can run off of batteries. They can make a little bit of noise when on pilot or the low output setting....but not a whistling sound.

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/02/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

Thanks
Charlie

Big Buddy heater (Mr. Heater) is Piezo ignition (to light it).

Here’s what mine looks like, push button starter on the left that uses a AA for the spark. (Picture is reversed)

[Linked Image]

I’ve cleaned that port a couple weeks ago and the probe. Seems like this last trip is when it started it again.

Charlie
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/02/22 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

Thanks
Charlie

Big Buddy heater (Mr. Heater) is Piezo ignition (to light it).

Here’s what mine looks like, push button starter on the left that uses a AA for the spark. (Picture is reversed)

[Linked Image]

I’ve cleaned that port a couple weeks ago and the probe. Seems like this last trip is when it started it again.

Charlie

Gotcha, thanks. Yes...you have the battery powered ignition module (not Piezo). Not sure what would be causing the whistling sound you are hearing. Both of mine will make a slight burbling sound when the propane is low and to a lesser degree when on pilot or low setting. Completely silent on high mode.
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/03/22 01:38 AM

I have found that when my buddy heaters start making noises like that, if I turn the heat up just a tad until the noise goes away. In other words, if you’re running the heater on low, move the dial towards high until the noise goes away.

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/03/22 02:48 AM

Yesterday through noon today was a 2 bottler! I don’t know what it could be, seemed like it did it more often than not, just pilot or heater burning, but that dang hole for the pilot light sure does seem suspicious.

Charlie
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Whistlin’ Mr Buddy - 01/03/22 02:29 PM

Haven’t had a two bottle day yet , that’s a cold one
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum