Texas Hunting Forum

Soft shell jacket

Posted By: cbump

Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 02:56 PM

Anyone know where I can find a jacket like this:

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-columbia-ascender™-softshell-jacket/19385538965.html?store=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl97sosny9AIVBydMCh2xbA-hEAQYDCABEgKwUvD_BwE

Or this

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-ascender-softshell-jacket---big-1625672.html?dwvar_1625672_color=251&dwvar_1625672_size=2X&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIl97sosny9AIVBydMCh2xbA-hEAQYAiABEgJdl_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!295605960840!!!g!1461605471980!&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl97sosny9AIVBydMCh2xbA-hEAQYAiABEgJdl_D_BwE

But in camo?

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 02:56 PM

Try copy pasting the links. I don’t know what happened
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 02:59 PM

Link
Link 2
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 03:03 PM

They look pretty similar to the Kuiu Guide Jacket.
I have one in olive and really love it.
https://www.kuiu.com/products/guide-dcs-jacket-vias-camouflage?variant=40479524880542
Posted By: Panhandler

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 03:14 PM

Cabela's carries the Columbia one you linked in a few colors, not the tan/camo one though.

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 03:26 PM

I like the price of the Columbia one lol. But want camo. Might just go green.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JB1316
https://www.kuiu.com/products/guide-dcs-jacket-vias-camouflage?variant=40479524880542

It's not, completely different textile.

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cbump
I like the price of the Columbia one lol. But want camo. Might just go green.

I know the top sales rep for Columbia. Let me ask her

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 05:03 PM

That would be awesome.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JB1316

black olive or green?

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 06:57 PM

That would be awesome.

For this year, your only option is the the PHG version

I actually really like the bucktail fleece over shirt.

I’d look at Black Orvis online they have a plethora of options

for a similar price point option.
Kings Camo KC1 soft shell hooded jack $65

Next level-
Kuiu rubicon -$199
Kings camo -lone peak $179
SKRE handscrabble 168

Elite
-Kuiu axis or guide(most breathable) +200
Sitka jet stream
Kryptek Tora

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 07:29 PM

I has never heard of skre hard scrabble but I saw a guy selling some yesterday then you just posted about It. I just texted him. His ad says $140 shipped for the jacket and a vest.

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 07:39 PM

I has never heard of skre hard scrabble but I saw a guy selling some yesterday then you just posted about It. I just texted him. His ad says $140 shipped for the jacket and a vest.

Its a direct to consumer brand competing with Kuiu. I think they are about 5 years old. They have good stuff. I’d buy it on sale.

Pnuma is another one that doing well as a direct to consumer model

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 07:54 PM

Well I didn’t really want the vest so I asked if he’d split. I was ready to offer $90 and he said sure, he’d take $80 shipped. So I got a skre hardscrabble jacket coming now lol

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 07:55 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 08:05 PM

I've had a Sitka Jetstream for a year. It's great. I have a softshell Patagonia I layer under it when it's really cold. All I've needed.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 08:17 PM

once you get a softshell jacket its impossible to go back.

The only other jacket I'll wear is an 1856 Redhead Fleece jacket, but its a fair weather piece only

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 08:26 PM

I get a pretty good discount from UA so I had ordered some stuff online that came in today. Got a fleece lightweight to go over the base layer, then what I thought was what I would call a Columbia style soft shell to go over that, then a down parka (I’m a puss in the cold). Well that mid layer is super light and tighter than the fleece. So that’s going back probably and hopefully this SKRE is what I’m looking for.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 08:27 PM

Loved my Columbia Ascender, until last week when the main zipper fouled and is now crap. The jacket is 3yrs old. It was given as a gift, my first softshell jacket, and quickly became my favorite multi-use jacket.

I will be getting another softshell to replace it, but not sure if it will be columbia brand or not.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 10:43 PM

Academy has a similar jacket in their housebrand

Magellan Softshell CAMO

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 10:45 PM

Nice. I do like that one in that veil.

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/20/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by psycho0819
Loved my Columbia Ascender, until last week when the main zipper fouled and is now crap. The jacket is 3yrs old. It was given as a gift, my first softshell jacket, and quickly became my favorite multi-use jacket.

I will be getting another softshell to replace it, but not sure if it will be columbia brand or not.

Call Columbia warranty. They will replace it
Posted By: freerange

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/21/21 12:18 AM

Ok, so I’ll have no problem showing my ignorance. I thought all my jackets were pretty soft. Anybody define “soft shell”? I know hunting clothing has changed so much that it requires training to learn the language and I likely am not ready for it.

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/21/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Ok, so I’ll have no problem showing my ignorance. I thought all my jackets were pretty soft. Anybody define “soft shell”? I know hunting clothing has changed so much that it requires training to learn the language and I likely am not ready for it.

Check the links I put for Columbia jackets. That’s a soft shell.

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/21/21 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by freerange

Softshell is usually stretch type, looser weave fabric that's been treated with a DRW but doesn't have a water proof laminate so it breaths really well. Think key words stretch, breathable

As opposed to a Hard shell(rain jacket/skishell) that is normally a water proof fabric lamination with a real tight weave that water general rolls off a lot easier. Usually DWR treated also but has a much tighter weave that is more water resistant. Key words water/wind proof, not as breathable
Posted By: COKEMAN

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/28/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Magellan Softshell CAMO

I have that jacket. Just left a review on Academy for it. Nice jacket and warm, but it's too loud to bow hunt unless the wind is blowing enough to mask the sound of the material. I am currently running it through about a million cycles in my dryer to try and soften it and loose that noise.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Soft shell jacket - 12/28/21 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by COKEMAN
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Magellan Softshell CAMO

I have that jacket. Just left a review on Academy for it. Nice jacket and warm, but it's too loud to bow hunt unless the wind is blowing enough to mask the sound of the material. I am currently running it through about a million cycles in my dryer to try and soften it and loose that noise.

Much more expensive but first light makes a pretty quiet softshell; the Catalyst jacket.

I have both the Kuiu guide jacket and the Catalyst and the catalyst is quieter. I bow hunt with both of them
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum