Hi,

I am new to hunting and have few questions:

1. Where can i go for public hunting near Dallas
2. Can i carry air gun for my son
3. Can my family join me
4. Do we need hunter education certificate
5. Do we need specific clothes or gear

Thanks

Welcome, and I really hope you take up the sport! It's an amazing way to spend time outdoors, time with family, or time alone - and of course provide your house with 100% fresh & clean meat.
I'd suggest starting with an in person hunters ed class. You can do them online, but you wont be able to ask questions or pick anyones brain about all of your questions posted here, and the 1,000's of more to come as you get started.
https://tpwd.elementlms.com/find-classes/
Plus, you need to complete hunters ed before you can hunt (and buy a license) so in addition to being a great way to get you started, it's required either way.

This is a great forum to be a part of or lurk around. Lots of great information, lots of bs too, but it's a very helpful community.
1. https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/
(you need hunters ed, license, and a public hunting permit to hunt public land (permit is $49)
2. Not sure
3. Not if you have more than 1 gun with you, unless they're licensed - then for sure. You can hunt with groups, although it's noisy and you're less likely to get anything
4. Yes, you can defer it for 1 year, but since you're just getting started you 100% absolutely should start with this and not use the 1 year deferral
5. Some stuff you'll need - gun, knife, map or gps (lots of easy apps you can download on your phone to make it easy) hiking shoes, but you can really get away with not having much, although "gearing up" is part of the fun
Posted By: smtripathi99

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/20/21 03:59 PM

Thanks a lot
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/20/21 06:41 PM

mlk and east grand. four corners of fun.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/20/21 10:13 PM

welcome
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/21/21 03:22 AM

welcome
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/21/21 06:32 PM

Welcome!

Get your Hunter Ed. done and then get signed up here. Great weekend for son and dad, you will learn alot and be around folks who can teach alot.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/youth_hunting/tx_youth_hunt_program/

Charlie
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/21/21 07:04 PM

I have hunter with my kids and let them carry their BB guns. I don’t take them both out together, one at a time. I don’t know what the legal ramifications are I just assume a game warden has the good common sense to let it go when they see a kid carrying a Daisy buck or red rider and her dad has a 12 gauge.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 12/21/21 07:08 PM

As for location look at Lake Lavon or Lake Bardwell. Corps of engineers land, lots of small game and excellent crappie fishing at Lake Bardwell. Little hunting pressure comparatively, Lake Bardwell is the best kept secret near DFW.
Posted By: deer chaser

Re: Hunting near Dallas - 01/13/22 08:53 AM

welcome
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum