Texas Hunting Forum

Food plot questions

Posted By: Gabe 670

Food plot questions - 12/13/21 05:07 PM

Hello,
I am in the planning phase for next season and looking for some advice and helpful input on planting a food plot.
I have moved onto a new lease and the land owner has agreed to allow me several acres for food plots. Can anyone tell me what grows best in the Central Texas area (Goldthwaite area) I have been looking at several videos on youtube, but most of the video's are from the North East such as Ohio, Michigan, and so on, was really looking to get some input on how to plant a food plot in Texas. Some of the tips and tricks and what not to do. Is there anyone that can share some advice on planting food plots?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 05:51 PM

Are there cattle or goats (other livestock) on the property?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 06:06 PM

Oats....100lb per acre and Austrian winter peas...50lb per acre...........all you will ever need in my opinion.
I would add if you don't get a soil sample, 150lbs of 13-13-13 per acre. Add rain and you have a deer magnet.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 06:07 PM

Oh, and go here for a lot more information.
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...od-plots-proteins-minerals-feed-and-corn
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 08:18 PM

Oats are good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gabe 670

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 08:48 PM

land own just put on 30 head of cattle and says that's all he's putting on this year.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Oats....100lb per acre and Austrian winter peas...50lb per acre...........all you will ever need in my opinion.
I would add if you don't get a soil sample, 150lbs of 13-13-13 per acre. Add rain and you have a deer magnet.

This is exactly what we do. We do have a few plots where we add turnips and clover.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 09:57 PM

I'm 15 miles north of Goldthwaite, we've tried red ripper peas, iron and clay cow peas, red clover, white clover and the store bought mixes with barley, clover, alfalfa, and 10 or 12 other seeds. The only thing we've gotten to grow well is oats, our soils run around 8.0 to 8.2 pH and most peas like acidic soil below 6.5. If you don't have a soil test I'd definitely do the 13-13-13. Also pray for rain. Don't plant the first of September. We usually wait till the end of September first of October. Army worms suck.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
I'm 15 miles north of Goldthwaite, we've tried red ripper peas, iron and clay cow peas, red clover, white clover and the store bought mixes with barley, clover, alfalfa, and 10 or 12 other seeds. The only thing we've gotten to grow well is oats, our soils run around 8.0 to 8.2 pH and most peas like acidic soil below 6.5. If you don't have a soil test I'd definitely do the 13-13-13. Also pray for rain. Don't plant the first of September. We usually wait till the end of September first of October. Army worms suck.

I planted 10/10 this year and avoided the worms. The drought is kicking my butt now, though.
Posted By: MI Hunter

Re: Food plot questions - 12/13/21 10:39 PM

Following

Re: Food plot questions - 12/14/21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I planted 10/10 this year and avoided the worms. The drought is kicking my butt now, though.

We got 3 fields in the ground, 11 acres, last week of September and got luck with the army worms.

Re: Food plot questions - 12/14/21 12:32 AM

Hopefully we’ll get some rain down that way this week.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Food plot questions - 12/14/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I decided to give my fields a rest (plus I was lazy)… kind of glad I did now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum