Texas Hunting Forum

Farmers, a question for y’all.

Posted By: huntindude

Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 02:10 AM

Would it be worth it for a farmer to plant corn on around 15 acres? We have a guy who cuts hay on our place on the same amount of acres and takes every thing back to his place including all necessary equipment. Wondering if we found a farmer who grows corn or soy if it be worth it for the farmer. Probably distance of travel would be a big concern.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 02:31 AM

Dry land no

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 02:52 AM

What do you mean dry land?
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by huntindude

Non irrigated.
Posted By: tractorred

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 03:25 AM

NO
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by huntindude

Non-irrigated means dryland. Essentially a farmer would be looking at making about +-$800. But takes him as long to till/plant/combine that as a section. A lot of tractor moving for $800.

Best best is just plant wheat/oats and let the farmer have after season grazing on it
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 05:34 PM

If the 15 has been under cultivation, turn it into grass, and make 15 acres of hay 30 acres of hay.

NRCS will pretty much make it free for you.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/17/21 06:19 PM

it could happen if the farmer lived next door, had it done once on small plot of corn.

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/18/21 02:03 AM

Thanks for reply’s. Not the answers I looking for. But I knew it just didn’t want to believe. I would love to plant wheat and oats, but it would take me a week to prep and plant with equipment I have. Plus it really doesn’t dry out enough til April or may for any large equipment.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/18/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
it could happen if the farmer lived next door, had it done once on small plot of corn.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

Probably not worth it to a farmer otherwise with the cost of fuel, seed, fertilizer, and everything else unless he is really close to you.
Most corn here on dry land this year averaged about 100 bushels which is slightly above average for our area. So, 5600 lbs per acre x 15 would be 84,000.
If you could get a guy to do it on shares with you it may be a nice way for you to have the corn you need for feeding year round. lol
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Farmers, a question for y’all. - 10/18/21 02:00 PM

For 15 acres unless they farmed the property next door they would loose money on it. They couldn’t cover the fuel costs to run a few miles to make that work.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum