Texas Hunting Forum

The Rita

Posted By: Creekrunner

The Rita - 10/04/21 12:59 AM

'Wasn't able to connect on the Pronghorn hunt I drew. I did have a very pretty buck in the scope today, but it would have been stretching the barrel too much for this hill country hunter and he was too pretty to risk wounding. No way to get closer and another hunter (with New Mexico plates...really?) helped push them on to private. That's okay. I've killed a couple before. I could stay longer, but it's time to go home. They're good and stirred up now and, it's like looking for one needle in about 60 hay stacks. I covered a lot of ground with the truck and "field glasses."
[Linked Image]

I'm not going home empty handed. 'Watched Rinella pick up a Pronghorn shed on his show Thursday night, and I'll be darned if I didn't find one on the last walk back to the truck.
[Linked Image]

And remember...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 02:19 AM

on my bucket list
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 10:29 AM

Tell me you did not honk at the livestock.

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 11:27 AM

No, and they were obstinate too. Their buddies were at the feed trough and they were up against the road fence, staging a protest.

Man, coyotes stick out in that country. I could have shot a half dozen.

Time to leave Dalhart. I hope the smell doesn't stay with the truck. grin
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 11:56 AM

Nice
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 12:08 PM

Sounds like you had a good time. I was selected several years ago & sure enjoyed it. It looks so different from the ag fields & hackberry trees around home. A cow decoy might've helped you close the distance. I could approach single bucks, but the does were skittish & would take their buck with them. Here's some pics from that 'adventure'. Hope to go back someday, but I know that was a one time in a lifetime draw.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reata

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 02:22 PM

Sounds like an enjoyable experience Creekrunner.

I drove through there on the way back from Wyoming yesterday and hope to hunt there one day for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is a lot closer. ;-)
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 02:26 PM

cheers
Posted By: freerange

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 02:38 PM

"Field glasses", I forgot all about that term. Good job on the pass as opposed to wounding.
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 03:04 PM

The trophy is in the experience. Glad you got to go and I respect that you stayed within your limits which had to be hard.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: The Rita - 10/04/21 03:07 PM

Looks awesome, congrats on the experience.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: The Rita - 10/05/21 03:27 PM

Great pics, RB is a special place, as it's preserve a lot of what that country has always been.

Heck of a tag to draw, but regardless of the different views of success, you are now tied to the land as you have hunted it. Welcome To the high plains.
Posted By: Panhandler

Re: The Rita - 10/06/21 08:43 PM

How many points did you have before getting drawn?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: The Rita - 10/06/21 08:48 PM

up
Posted By: redhaze

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 09:19 AM

clap

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Panhandler

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 10:59 AM

I don't know about Creekrunner, but if I remember right it was either 29 or 30. Drawin' this draw ain't easy, at least it wasn't for me.

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Much faster for you, so there's a chance I might draw it one more time. I might need a walker to hunt it by then. smile

I don't know how you found that shed. Talk about a needle in a million haystacks. I learned all about their 'horns' when doing the euro mount. Much different than a deer.
Posted By: Panhandler

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 02:09 PM

Guess I have a ways to go, I'm at 5

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 02:13 PM

Guess I have a ways to go, I'm at 5

It's random. You can draw with 0, PP means just number of additional times your name is in the pot.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: The Rita - 10/07/21 10:12 PM

Great pics
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: The Rita - 10/11/21 05:43 PM

Born there, stayed 13 years, love it out there. Great country. Great People
Posted By: Ag Hoff 90

Re: The Rita - 08/21/22 09:23 PM

Bumping this thread. I was drawn earlier this week for the TPWD pronghorn hunt. I've hunted pronghorn once before near Cheyenne in 2011.

Open to hear any tips or info about hunting Rita Blanca.

Thanks

Re: The Rita - 08/22/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ag Hoff 90
Bumping this thread. I was drawn earlier this week for the TPWD pronghorn hunt. I've hunted pronghorn once before near Cheyenne in 2011.

Open to hear any tips or info about hunting Rita Blanca.

Thanks

Creek runner is an open book. PM, my ranch is pretty close rob the northern’ish border.

Get a buck decoy, if you find a buck off property or close. Use a decoy to put gentle constant pressure. You are just trying to aggravate him with your persistent pressure so that he comes to try to run you off.

It works. Other then that, bring long range glass
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum