Texas Hunting Forum

Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not?

Posted By: Catperch

Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:02 AM

Was going to run to Acadamy and buy a pop-up blind to put up tomorrow about 50 yards from a feeder. Got to thinking about the new plastic smell. Think I should wait and leave it outside for a while to let the smell fade? DARN THIS OCD!
Posted By: freerange

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:06 AM

OCD can be good for deer hunting and especially bow hunting.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:16 AM

Yeah, I guess you are right. I'm thinking that whether it just stinks a little after a couple weeks, or a lot right after I buy it, a deer is still going to smell it. So it might be better to just stick it out there so they get used to it a little instead of waiting till 2 weeks before the season starts.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:21 AM

It will take them time to get used to it and you are going to hunt the right wind anyways. They are going to see it and react to the sight of it way before they smell it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:25 AM

Put it out ASAP. They'll need time to get used to it.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
It will take them time to get used to it and you are going to hunt the right wind anyways. They are going to see it and react to the sight of it way before they smell it.

So are you suggesting that I should go ahead and get it set up? It's staying up the whole season.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Put it out ASAP. They'll need time to get used to it.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. That stand most likely won't be hunted for a while anyway. I'm not normally this late getting set up, running about a month behind from covid.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Catperch

So are you suggesting that I should go ahead and get it set up? It's staying up the whole season.

Yes set it up ASAP. Depending on the deer in your area it may take 2-3 weeks for them to get used to it. Brush it in right away so it will help hide it and the deer not be as spooked by it.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 03:02 AM

Alrighty! Looks like I have a reason to go to the lease tomorrow! Thanks

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 03:26 AM

I concur. ASAP.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 03:58 AM

I put mine in a brushy spot but you can brush it in too. That will make a big difference with it not being out in the open. Nothing has a clue when I put mine up because there's just a hole cut in the brush that I shoot through.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 04:01 AM

If you have cedar in the area I like to brush it in with them.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
If you have cedar in the area I like to brush it in with them.

That's what I do and the smell of fresh cut cedar is very strong.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 11:37 AM

Brushing it in good is the plan. No cedar but lots of pine.....LOTS of pine! frown
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 06:50 PM

The first time I ever used one I was turkey hunting and a whitetail doe brushed up against it while I was waiting for birds to come. Just set it up and get in, worry about what happens next when it happens.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/02/21 09:38 PM

Rattlesnake, what you describe is always how I have been with hunting. Heck, I have a wall full of horns and I killed most of them without a blind or feeder at all. I think reading this forum has me way over thinking things. It's up and ready to go.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/03/21 12:56 AM

looks great. cant wait to see your buck !!

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/03/21 01:25 AM

Looks great. Good luck.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/03/21 09:33 PM

They are going to see it and react to the sight of it way before they smell it.

I've watched deer look straight at me while sitting in a ground blind from across a pasture with the same level of attention as if I were doing jumping jacks. And positioning the blind back into the edge of the wood line did not seem to make any difference.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/04/21 12:21 PM

I set one up yesterday next to 2 small trees in the middle of a field and set up a feeder there as well. Sat in it yesterday afternoon. The whitetail were sketchy about it and wouldn't come closer than maybe 40 yards but they fed all around me. I was after Axis deer and none of them came out, not sure if the blind had anything to do with that, but it looks like they will get used to it pretty fast.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/04/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
...but it looks like they will get used to it pretty fast.

Unfortunately, it's the ones that take their time getting used to it and you never see that often matter most.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/06/21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Catperch

Yes set it up ASAP. Depending on the deer in your area it may take 2-3 weeks for them to get used to it. Brush it in right away so it will help hide it and the deer not be as spooked by it.

Exactly right stxrm.

And I'd brush it in as good as you can. If you have persimmons, cut those limbs and cover it up. They will stay leafy and green a good while.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/06/21 01:39 PM

I switched to pop up blinds on my land about 3 years ago and see a lot of deer. Deer don’t seem to see them. You also don’t get the wasps in them like a box blind.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/06/21 01:53 PM

Here’s how you eliminate the smell, lots of cedar. [Linked Image]

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/06/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Here’s how you eliminate the smell, lots of cedar. [Linked Image]

roflmao

up up

Hell with the pop-up....I'd hunt right out of your rig!!

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/06/21 09:36 PM

I reckon that'll work!!

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/06/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I switched to pop up blinds on my land about 3 years ago and see a lot of deer. Deer don’t seem to see them. You also don’t get the wasps in them like a box blind.

That's interesting that wasps don't like them....i climbed in my ladder stand the other day to coyote hunt knowing that there wouldnt be any wasps. Stuck my rifle under the burlap and those devils went everywhere. Apparently, the like burlap.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/07/21 05:28 PM

My only concern with pop-ups is any possible harm from the fumes from my Thermacell. When you leave the windows cracked just a few inches, I'm sure the fumes build up quite a bit.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/07/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
My only concern with pop-ups is any possible harm from the fumes from my Thermacell. When you leave the windows cracked just a few inches, I'm sure the fumes build up quite a bit.

I've ran a Thermacell for years in my blinds. Never had an issue.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/11/21 06:43 PM

Just get out and hunt. Pop up are good and better when brushed in, ladder stands are good and just a stool backed up against a tree or brush all work. It's all about location and wind and of course being in an area with deer possibilities. I still hunt in all type blinds, box blinds with heaters and fans, ladder stands, tripod, quad pod, small folding chair with a should string and my favorite when in the E. TX, Ark, LA or MS hardwoods an original Amacker climbing strand (before the sell out to API).

Good luck. Freshen it up with some more pine/cedar throughout the season. Looks good.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 02:25 PM

I set up this popup blind Saturday afternoon at my lease about 15 yards from my feed pen and had axis and whitetail bucks on camera less than 24 hours later eating corn within 10 yards of it.
I did conceal it well in the brush as you can see here but there had to be scent still all over the area as it was pretty dry there that day and the following night.
I honestly don't think the scent of the blind itself is that big of a deal

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 03:10 PM

They make cover scents. Skunk is mighty effective. Rubbing fresh manure on the blind may well be messy, but would certainly help in this case. And then there is the cedar. All in all, you should be able to overcome the plastic smell which you are over reacting to.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 03:25 PM

I sprayed my popup with camp dry last Friday night. Saturday morning had deer eating under the feeder 20 yards away.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 03:36 PM

You just need a road feeder and hungry deer....my bowblind is about 25 yards off of the right side of these pics. I set it up a month ago and had deer there waiting on corn when I was done. I feed in front of it every time I am there hunting or not.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 03:39 PM

'You just need a road feeder and hungry deer....my bowblind is about 25 yards off of the right side of these pics. I set it up a month ago and had deer there waiting on corn when I was done. I feed in front of it every time I am there hunting or not."

trust this simple advise. he always smells like dog.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
'You just need a road feeder and hungry deer....my bowblind is about 25 yards off of the right side of these pics. I set it up a month ago and had deer there waiting on corn when I was done. I feed in front of it every time I am there hunting or not."

trust this simple advise. he always smells like dog.

There is a reason for that...look in the front seat in the 3rd pic....she is in the blind with me most of the time also...

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 03:46 PM

You can even shoot 2 or 3 hogs and they will still come out if they're hungry.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 05:50 PM

There is a reason for that...look in the front seat in the 3rd pic....she is in the blind with me most of the time also...

up

Absolutely nothing wrong with having your best friend with you as often as possible!!

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]

lmao

Hell, I'd bet those deer thanked you after smoking those hogs off their corn line! up
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

[Linked Image]

lmao

Hell, I'd bet those deer thanked you after smoking those hogs off their corn line! up

Must have run out of ammo because I still see piggies in the pic. Shoot em all...but hopefully explanation is that pic was taken just before next pig went down

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/12/21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

[Linked Image]

lmao

Must have run out of ammo because I still see piggies in the pic. Shoot em all...but hopefully explanation is that pic was taken just before next pig went down

Waited for the does to clear out then shot 2 more before this guy came out and I stopped shooting. [Linked Image]

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/13/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
They make cover scents. Skunk is mighty effective. Rubbing fresh manure on the blind may well be messy, but would certainly help in this case. And then there is the cedar. All in all, you should be able to overcome the plastic smell which you are over reacting to.

Yessir, now that a couple weeks have passed, I do feel a little silly for worrying about it. Checked the camera and had doe all over the feeder immediately. Well, "all over it" for east texas....meaning 4...... nothing like stxranchmans pics!!! Dang!

However, there was a little more to the situation. This spot is on a 100 acre tract of timber that hasn't been hunted or even had anyone on it in who knows how long. I was trying to keep it as quiet and untouched as possible and just hunt trails. I camp and hunt the adjoining 100 acres. This probably made me too paranoid about moving in and feeding and putting up a new stand. These deer back there see Noone on that place and my plan was to keep it that way. It's about a mile walk down a trail to even get there. But at least I'll be dry now with it up.

Re: Pop-up blind smell??? Wait or not? - 10/13/21 11:16 AM

you will have a ball.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum