Posted By: TCM3

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 03:35 AM

wonder why?
Posted By: JGL Hunting

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 03:39 AM

Liability is my guess.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 03:58 AM

"Its origin has tragic roots. Javier Ambler, the new law’s namesake, died of heart failure after being tased and forcibly detained by a Williamson County sheriff’s deputy following a 20-minute chase. The alleged offense was Ambler’s failure to dim his headlights to oncoming traffic. A film crew for Live PD accompanied the deputy and captured the entire ordeal, a condition that bill sponsors cite as the reason for the heightened response leading to Ambler’s death.

Citing a report from the Austin-American Statesman, the Bill Analysis says that Javier Ambler’s Law is necessary because “violent encounters between Williamson County sheriff’s deputies and civilians nearly doubled in the year after Live PD cameras began following deputies.” It warns that “[t]he presence of production crews during police operations blurs the lines of reality and entertainment” and leads to more intense police encounters than would otherwise occur.
"

I'm assuming the violent crime rate also doubled just like it has in major cities across the country too.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/texas-outlaws-tv-crews-at-the-8076393/
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
"Its origin has tragic roots. Javier Ambler, the new law’s namesake, died of heart failure after being tased and forcibly detained by a Williamson County sheriff’s deputy following a 20-minute chase. The alleged offense was Ambler’s failure to dim his headlights to oncoming traffic. A film crew for Live PD accompanied the deputy and captured the entire ordeal, a condition that bill sponsors cite as the reason for the heightened response leading to Ambler’s death.

Citing a report from the Austin-American Statesman, the Bill Analysis says that Javier Ambler’s Law is necessary because “violent encounters between Williamson County sheriff’s deputies and civilians nearly doubled in the year after Live PD cameras began following deputies.” It warns that “[t]he presence of production crews during police operations blurs the lines of reality and entertainment” and leads to more intense police encounters than would otherwise occur.
"

I'm assuming the violent crime rate also doubled just like it has in major cities across the country too.

WillCo has had quite the notorious reputation for quite sometime…
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 11:00 AM

Thank God they determined that the guy running from LE then resisting arrest played no part in his death. We certainly don't want that goofy personal responsibility to find it's way into this scenario.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 11:43 AM

Damn shame.I enjoyed those shows.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 12:27 PM

"

Tragic loss of life but at the end of the day I don't care what you are being stopped for....pull the hell over. 20 minute chase tells me there was probably more to the story than failure to dim headlights!

Couple of friends are GWs and they both told me they were asked about being on the show and they quickly declined. Said they didn't need the headaches of all the BS of a camera guy following them around. They are both go getters so I honestly don't think they wanted someone slowing them down from what they do.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 12:32 PM

That show had gotten pretty boring in the last couple of years.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 12:49 PM

No loss for me.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 01:04 PM

Never seen it
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 01:07 PM

i enjoyed most of them but too many re runs. it has gotten old and needs to go.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 01:57 PM

[quote=ILUVBIGBUCKS

Tragic loss of life but at the end of the day I don't care what you are being stopped for....pull the hell over. 20 minute chase tells me there was probably more to the story than failure to dim headlights!

The newspapers and local news on TV not only left out that the guy fled in his car but the fact that when they finally did get him stopped he resisted and would not obey commands. It was a shame he passed away but had he complied with the LEO's he would most likely be alive today.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 02:04 PM

back in the late 70's a kid got 37 yrs for a (very) small amount of weed
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 02:43 PM

I asked our game wardens a couple of years ago when I was going to see them on the show- one of them looked me straight in the eye and said "never". I think it was the next year they were on.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 04:23 PM

Good show
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

The newspapers and local news on TV not only left out that the guy fled in his car but the fact that when they finally did get him stopped he resisted and would not obey commands. It was a shame he passed away but had he complied with the LEO's he would most likely be alive today.

Imagine that
The media not reporting the exact FACTs but instead stoking the fire. Sickening

I agree it is a tragedy he passed but for the love of God why can't people see things for what they are?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
[quote=ILUVBIGBUCKS

TLK hit the nail on the head. A lot of these tragedies could have been avoided if the perps would just follow directions. It’s that simple.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
TLK hit the nail on the head. A lot of these tragedies could have been avoided if the perps would just follow directions. It’s that simple.

It's not that simple. It boils down to a lack of shared information, like previously pointed out. The media cherry picks facts and twists a few and sells commercials and newspapers. I'm not saying in this case I have facts but as an example of what we don't usually hear I'll put myself in a perps shoes. If a was a felon (possibly on parole) and had dope in the car or some other contraband, I would not "simply follow directions". I'd run like hell to dodge going to the pen. The term they taught us decades ago in school was Yellow Journalism. If the yellow were to turn clear, folks would realize how good we have it and stop whining about what bathroom someone else uses etc, etc.

I watched maybe 2-3 episodes of that show. It was like Cops, once you seen one, you seen em all.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 09:37 PM

I’m the same as Gary, I watched a few then it became redundant
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 09:44 PM

When I killed my MD two years ago, we got checked by two GWs in Cochran Co. I asked, "What, no camera crew?" The response was a resounding "HELL NO!"

Hate to say bye bye to Lone Star Law as I think it was a good PR move.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/28/21 10:04 PM

Good riddance. Game Wardens have been tripping over themselves down here trying to get famous. Actually losing their minds so bad that they'd break through two electric gates and break into my barn and start pilfering through my freezers without even so much as a knock on my door. With absolutely NO probable cause. Most pathetic excuse for a law enforcement agency I've ever seen.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 12:42 AM

I know I always get tased when I don't dim my headlights....good grief. Its a shame we live in a country when a law enforcement office says "STOP" and the moron doesn't, that anything that happens afterward is the officers fault. You run from the law you deserve whatever you get.

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

It's not that simple. It boils down to a lack of shared information, like previously pointed out. The media cherry picks facts and twists a few and sells commercials and newspapers. I'm not saying in this case I have facts but as an example of what we don't usually hear I'll put myself in a perps shoes. If a was a felon (possibly on parole) and had dope in the car or some other contraband, I would not "simply follow directions". I'd run like hell to dodge going to the pen. The term they taught us decades ago in school was Yellow Journalism. If the yellow were to turn clear, folks would realize how good we have it and stop whining about what bathroom someone else uses etc, etc.

I watched maybe 2-3 episodes of that show. It was like Cops, once you seen one, you seen em all.

So in your mind if a "perp" is breaking the law again (on parole) then it is OK to not follow a law officers directions? Man guys like you scare me and should scare everyone else on this forum
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by RTW
Liability is my guess.

I don't see where the state would care what local law enforcement deals with in terms of liability. I could see them mandating a law for state officers (DPS, GW, etc.) to limit liability for the state, possibly, but the state isn't responsible for local law enforcement.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

I don't see where the state would care what local law enforcement deals with in terms of liability. I could see them mandating a law for state officers (DPS, GW, etc.) to limit liability for the state, possibly, but the state isn't responsible for local law enforcement.

Problem is even the republicans in our state legislature claim to be in favor of local government but then consistently pass laws as the state telling counties and cities what to do. mad
Posted By: SR025

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 05:12 AM

Definitions look like it exempts game wardens

https://capitol.texas.gov/search/DocViewer.aspx?ID=87RHB000544B&QueryText=Javier%2bOR%2bAmbler&DocType=B

SUBCHAPTER M. ACCOMPANYING OR FILMING OF PEACE OFFICERS
Sec. 614.231. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Law enforcement agency" means an agency of this
state or a political subdivision of this state that employs peace
officers other than game wardens.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by therancher
Good riddance. Game Wardens have been tripping over themselves down here trying to get famous. Actually losing their minds so bad that they'd break through two electric gates and break into my barn and start pilfering through my freezers without even so much as a knock on my door. With absolutely NO probable cause. Most pathetic excuse for a law enforcement agency I've ever seen.

Agreed
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 08:19 AM

The origins of this new law involves a very good friend of mine, one of the officers that was indicted. He was an exemplary officer, but what made this particular case so bad was the fact it happened in Travis ago where the DA saw nothing but a badge to lock up.

A little insight into why this new law may have come about, the producer of the Live PD deleted the video so it could never be show.Lennon TV again. That’s great, but that was evidence, very good evidence. To make matters worse, the Sheriff of Williamson Co did not help in the investigation by Travis Co, kind of an on going pissing match, the more he hindered the investigation the more Travis Co wanted those officer indicted.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
So in your mind if a "perp" is breaking the law again (on parole) then it is OK to not follow a law officers directions? Man guys like you scare me and should scare everyone else on this forum

No sir. There is a miscommunication here. I never said it was ok, I just said it's not that simple. I understand these guys running, if in their shoes, I'd run too. What happens once they're caught is OK with me too, I leave that to the officer that does that for a living, it's his/her life that is in danger, not mine. If it was as simple as following directions, officers would need jackets, pistols, or radios. tlk, just because I understand something doesn't mean I approve or behave that way.

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by tlk

No sir. There is a miscommunication here. I never said it was ok, I just said it's not that simple. I understand these guys running, if in their shoes, I'd run too. What happens once they're caught is OK with me too, I leave that to the officer that does that for a living, it's his/her life that is in danger, not mine. If it was as simple as following directions, officers would need jackets, pistols, or radios. tlk, just because I understand something doesn't mean I approve or behave that way.

It did not come across that way when I read it - no worries
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/29/21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SR025

https://capitol.texas.gov/search/DocViewer.aspx?ID=87RHB000544B&QueryText=Javier%2bOR%2bAmbler&DocType=B

Good deal! up
Posted By: decook

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/30/21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SR025

Good deal! up

I like the show and I have been field checked by a LSL Game Warden (just recently). She mentoring new GW that was with her. The encounter was pretty much like what I see on LSL when a field check has no issues. Very professional. The wardens then went over to my truck and spent a few minutes visiting with my wife and me. All personal chat, like our kids and stuff. Very nice visit.

That said, this exception in the law can be challenged pretty easily. Game Wardens are also State Police, and this isn't excepted.
Posted By: Rounder

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 09/30/21 10:10 PM

Williamson County, come on vacation, leave on probation used to be the motto. Much better than Travis County, theirs is..........uh whatever man.

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 10/01/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rounder
Williamson County, come on vacation, leave on probation used to be the motto. Much better than Travis County, theirs is..........uh whatever man.

yeah I will take Williamson County over Travis county everyday of the week
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 10/01/21 01:35 AM

Maybe they should show McLennan county game wardens driving his truck around feeder pens at 0930 on opening day because he heard gun shots for an episode

Or

Maybe an episode of the same GW calling someone on a cell phone because he heard gunshots

Keep up the good work <6’

Show is pretty boring after a year
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 10/01/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Maybe they should show McLennan county game wardens driving his truck around feeder pens at 0930 on opening day because he heard gun shots for an episode

Or

Maybe an episode of the same GW calling someone on a cell phone because he heard gunshots

Keep up the good work <6’

Show is pretty boring after a year

All those shows suck from the first 30 seconds....Jes my 2cents

Never understood the appeal of ANY “reality” tv show. Regular programming became so left agendas driven I ripped the crap out of the house four months ago. Miss zero of it.

I watched a couple hunting shows....Meat Eater is one. He’s a lib...but cares about the resources and keeping the focus from the harvest in the field to the dinner table. Doesn’t hide mistakes.

ThT and old movies was about all I ever watched....I now do that online
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Lone Star Law is done in Texas - 10/01/21 03:21 PM

I always enjoyed the show, for the most part. It did always bug me that commercial fishermen knowingly flouting the laws were cut loose with minimal citations and/or fines while every day hunters/fishermen making fairly innocent mistakes in the field got raked over the coals. And it seemed like if you wanted to get out of a no license ticket on the show all you had to do was claim you couldn't speak english.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum