Texas Hunting Forum

Throckmorton wind farms

Posted By: throckmorton_hunter

Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 02:58 AM

Putting up a wind farm next to our ranch in Throckmorton . Haven't been out to see the progress but have heard they have started putting up the turbines .
Has anyone seen the progress ?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 03:06 AM

It’s huge with plenty of activity. A friend in Throckmorton Said there are 500 extra folks in town.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 04:25 AM

I was through there about a month ago. They were going up. Lots of activity. I was told there would be construction for at least 30 months.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 12:10 PM

Lots of windmill activity, they are just south of us a few miles but look to be heading our direction. I bet your deer numbers improve this season if you don't have the traffic on you.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 01:01 PM

Are they winterized? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 01:06 PM

I thought they were mostly west of town but I went through there Sunday and there were a bunch right close to hiway about 4 to 5 miles north of town. They werent there a month or so ago. The little cafe on north end of town was packed on a sunday early eve. I talked to a guy in town that said in March there were 11 RV hookup spots in town and now there are about 180. He was in the process of putting 5 or so RV hookups in his yard. Anything to make a buck in a small town.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 01:44 PM

Too bad, I like that landscape
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 02:03 PM

So sorry to hear that.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
So sorry to hear that.
Adios,
Gary

Yep, that sucks frown
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 03:24 PM

It sucks. My LO is putting one in the middle of one of the best dove fields I have ever hunted. Got outvoted by his sisters to put one up. Saloon, restaurants and now a tattoo parlor in Throck now. I hate the damn things. They suck !

Shame.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 03:44 PM

I'm hearing rumors of a giant solar farm going up outside of Seymour. The Waggoner ranch just bought the La Escalara.

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BOLT GUY
I'm hearing rumors of a giant solar farm going up outside of Seymour. The Waggoner ranch just bought the La Escalara.

Yes I was told the farms are headed N NW all they way to 287. Huge storage station SW of Throckmorton too. Hate it.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 05:38 PM

They have also been built in Foard county near Crowell.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 05:40 PM

I hate those things.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BOLT GUY

Yep
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 07:20 PM

So sorry to hear that.
Adios,
Gary

I couldn't agree more

Damn it sucks to see them all over the place out west and down along the coastlines now.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 07:52 PM

Bird killing machines.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
So sorry to hear that.
Adios,
Gary

I couldn't agree more

Damn it sucks to see them all over the place out west and down along the coastlines now.

It’s better then solar!!!! With that said I can’t blame land owners. It’s an above ground revenue stream that can’t be touch as an ROI, while still retaining ownership of the land.

Solar is 400 an acre for pasture land and wind 40k plus per section (while still being multi use)

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/21/21 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
So sorry to hear that.
Adios,
Gary

I couldn't agree more

It’s better then solar!!!! With that said I can’t blame land owners. It’s an above ground revenue stream that can’t be touch as an ROI, while still retaining ownership of the land.

Solar is 400 an acre for pasture land and wind 40k plus per section (while still being multi use)

LO is putting up the 5 megawatt. 25K a year. The 2 and 3's pay 10 per. Hard to resist the $$$
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/23/21 02:38 PM

There is even larger facilities on both N & S sides of 380 8 miles east of Haskell. Lots of windmills all ready being erected for miles. Every gas station, home, shop that has an electrical outlet is adding more for all the workers/rv. Great for the town, cafe, gas stations. Horrible for the roads. Lots of large oversize vehicles all hours of day taking up entire both lanes and shoulder of 380. Was stuck behind one the other day for over 50 miles and believe me I along with about 25 other vehicles were doing everything we could to try and figure how to pass without running in ditch. True Throckmorton population exploded overnight by +500. I'd say Haskell area exploded by 1000+.
Posted By: ELKMTB

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/23/21 05:06 PM

A lot of these land owners will get burned when these windmills pass thier expire date. The energy companies will abandon them and declare bankruptcy. If they don't have a fund setup in advance for the takedown and disposal they are going to get screwed.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/23/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ELKMTB
A lot of these land owners will get burned when these windmills pass thier expire date. The energy companies will abandon them and declare bankruptcy. If they don't have a fund setup in advance for the takedown and disposal they are going to get screwed.

There is a company out there that when the blades get "retired" they grind them up and use them for roads. Allegedly better than using caliche.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/23/21 05:22 PM

Not of you have reclamation bond put in place
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/23/21 08:57 PM

I'm not sure where they are building the blades but for years I've seen them on trucks rolling north on 45 and 287. I live in N. Ft Worth by some busy RR tracks. About a week ago I watched what could have easily been 100 blades go by via rail.
You won't see those things in E TX, wind category is too low.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/24/21 10:35 PM

Some getting ready to go up off of 380 & 578 in Young county too.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/25/21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Not of you have reclamation bond put in place

Bobo is spot on for the landowners that are having the towers put on their property. The bond (in general terms and the terms can vary) guarantees the property will be returned to the original condition and there should not be an expiration date on the bond. These bonds are only written for companies having a strong financial position and a successful track record that is a good indicator the company will be in business at the time the towers need to be removed, if that time comes. If a company can not provide a reclamation bond it may be an indication their credit worthiness is less than needed for the bond company to write a bond on their behalf. In that situation, landowner beware.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Throckmorton wind farms - 09/25/21 03:26 AM

Very good information here.

Thank you for sharing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum