Texas Hunting Forum

How to Ruin an RV Vacation!!

Posted By: Blank

How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 01:28 AM

Coming home from antelope hunting this afternoon. I was one of the first ones by this scene, and no first responders yet. On the side of the Interstate, at a rest area, and already had 3-4 vehicles staged to blockoff access. The weigh station/Port of Entry sent a car, and Fire Dept and State Police arrived minutes later. This literally happened in seconds!!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 01:41 AM

Meth
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 01:15 PM

Yes, its incredible how quickly the fire can spread in a Motorhome (or large boat).

I am retired from the Engineering Dept of a luxury Class A Motorhome manufacturer. And while every effort is made to use fire retardant materials, it remains that IF a fire is well started....the interior WILL be quickly involved. Federal Law requires special egress/escape windows in these vehicles for just that reason.

The motorhome pictured is obviously heavily involved and it would be wise for First Responders to stay back and prevent any traffic from passing nearby. The fire is already in the area(s) where the propane tank(s) would be stored. Except to ensure there was no one inside, the fire dept. would do best to let it burn out (it won't take long) and not risk injury to any of their crew.

This can happen to ANY motorhome by ANY manufacturer. There are a plethora of ways/reasons for a fire to start ranging from user fault, to vendor parts to workmanship/materials during construction. But the thing to take away from this...is the seriousness of an uncontrolled fire aboard a Motorhome or Boat. It can happen quickly.

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 02:02 PM

Where I stopped on the shoulder to take the video, was probably 50 yards away. Opening the window of the truck was like a blast furnace with super hot air, even at that distance!
Posted By: angus1956

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 02:22 PM

Dang, hope everyone got out safely.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 02:56 PM

Fridges can go up in some of those, propane leak, who knows.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 04:52 PM

My brother's Monaco started on fire at the fridge going down the road. Thankfully he caught it but spent a couple hours on the side of the road rewiring what burnt up. Looks like the hot spot is just where the fridge is located.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
it would be wise for First Responders to stay back and prevent any traffic from passing nearby. The fire is already in the area(s) where the propane tank(s) would be stored. Except to ensure there was no one inside, the fire dept. would do best to let it burn out (it won't take long) and not risk injury to any of their crew.

Do you think the FD knows this or should you call and instruct them, or did you already? rolleyes
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 05:27 PM

Whoa

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 06:23 PM

I have a couple friends who are FD. Gonna ask them what the consider in vehicle/RV fires??

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
it would be wise for First Responders to stay back and prevent any traffic from passing nearby. The fire is already in the area(s) where the propane tank(s) would be stored. Except to ensure there was no one inside, the fire dept. would do best to let it burn out (it won't take long) and not risk injury to any of their crew.

Do you think the FD knows this or should you call and instruct them, or did you already? rolleyes

Got a burr under your saddle today?

wink

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
My brother's Monaco started on fire at the fridge going down the road. Thankfully he caught it but spent a couple hours on the side of the road rewiring what burnt up. Looks like the hot spot is just where the fridge is located.

Yep, leaking cooling unit. Ammonia and Hydrogen gas. Propane flame ignites the hydrogen which aids in ammonia ignition.

Failed heat sensors are common in some fridges.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/20/21 10:15 PM

walter white didnt die, him and jesse just moved and where trying to stay on the dl ! wow, glad it wasnt me.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/21/21 12:26 AM

I hate RVs
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/21/21 04:11 PM

That is horrible hope all are safe
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/21/21 09:37 PM

No sir, just not a fan of hearing engineers explain how firemen should do their job. If you are a trained fireman of considerable experience, I'll eat my hat and stand corrected.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/21/21 10:18 PM

Bummer hope all got out and are okay.

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/21/21 10:46 PM

I was really surprised that it never even made the local news. I reported it in to the news desk, and emailed video. Never a word!

I stopped by there today on my way home again. Looks like it melted and burned the asphalt in about an inch deep. There was hundreds of gallons of water remaining in puddles at the scene, so looks like they attempted to cool and quench it. The remains of the RV have been hauled off.

Re: How to Ruin an RV Vacation!! - 09/23/21 01:18 AM

No sir, just not a fan of hearing engineers explain how firemen should do their job. If you are a trained fireman of considerable experience, I'll eat my hat and stand corrected.

I am not a Fireman and have the greatest respect for them. BUT just because a fireman probably understands that there are propane tanks on most large RV's they DON'T necessarily know WHERE they are located. There is also ammonia in most cooling units which when exposed to flames produces a highly toxic gas. Maybe every fireman knows this, or not? In any case....I don't understand your sensitivity to good advice. If it doesn't apply or isn't needed for first responder's then maybe someone reading this can benefit from the information. That was my purpose. Not to rub your thin skin the wrong way, though that seems to have happened.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum