Texas Hunting Forum

Pronghorn

Posted By: LandonL5511

Pronghorn - 09/15/21 03:38 PM

I have been wanting to hunt pronghorn the past few years, and next year I will actually be getting a tag. Does anyone know of some quality public land pronghorn spots? Hoping to find one closer to the Panhandle, but I’ll travel if need be.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Pronghorn - 09/15/21 08:10 PM

I believe all the Texas public land pronghorn spots are by draw. With about 6500 people trying to draw what, 10 spots, and some of those have 26 or so bonus points (cubed that would be 17576 points), its a hard draw. I'd look at Wyoming or possibly New Mexico. New Mexico had a change in the rules, last year I believe, that made it harder to hunt public. Colorado has some opportunities to draw with just a few points. I would recommend buying a bonus point in Wyoming. You can do that through sometime in October or November. Check the regs for the correct deadline. While your out there get a deer and elk point. Might as well start building those.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Pronghorn - 09/18/21 02:28 PM

You can try you hand with the Experimental tags. Drive around and find a group of goats and see if you can contact the land owner and come up with an agreement. Otherwise it's pretty much an outfitters game in Texas.
Posted By: LandonL5511

Re: Pronghorn - 09/20/21 12:52 PM

Okay, I appreciate the help y’all. I’ll try both of those. Thank you.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Pronghorn - 09/20/21 05:28 PM

Good luck sir
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: Pronghorn - 09/25/21 08:47 PM

The TX pronghorn experimental tags have been eliminated for 2021.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Pronghorn - 09/25/21 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59
I believe all the Texas public land pronghorn spots are by draw. With about 6500 people trying to draw what, 10 spots, and some of those have 26 or so bonus points (cubed that would be 17576 points), its a hard draw. I'd look at Wyoming or possibly New Mexico. New Mexico had a change in the rules, last year I believe, that made it harder to hunt public. Colorado has some opportunities to draw with just a few points. I would recommend buying a bonus point in Wyoming. You can do that through sometime in October or November. Check the regs for the correct deadline. While your out there get a deer and elk point. Might as well start building those.

He can buy the Wyoming PP right now. I just did mine today.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum