Texas Hunting Forum

Need Your Opinion

Posted By: FullDraw55

Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 12:13 PM

I have 15 acre in Oklahoma and season starts October 1st. I have pictures of deer sent to me from my barn owl all day. No matter what time of day there are deer. Now with the weather changing the pigs are coming off the mountain. For the last week nothing but pigs and not one picture of deer. I was thinking about going hunting with my BOW and see if I can harvest a few and maybe scare them off. You thoughts on shooting a few so close to season?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 12:35 PM

Are you afraid your pig hunting is going to scare off the deer for deer season? You don't have any deer. You probably won't have any deer as long as the pigs have your little place overrun. In other words, if you don't do something about the pigs, your deer season may be ruined if things continue like they are, right?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 12:47 PM

Shoot em , the deer will come
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 01:09 PM

I would use a gun instead of a bow. If you can get close enough, use a shotgun with buckshot or an AR and take out as many as you can at one time. Most places I've hunted, pigs wont return to that area for a while after being shot at and some of their herd going down.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 02:10 PM

Choot 'em!
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 02:13 PM

On our place, hogs have a 100% no pass rule. Regardless of the time of year, deer season or not, we do not pass on hogs. The more pressure put on hogs to keep them moving, the better the deer hunting will be in the long run.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
On our place, hogs have a 100% no pass rule. Regardless of the time of year, deer season or not, we do not pass on hogs. The more pressure put on hogs to keep them moving, the better the deer hunting will be in the long run.

This. My rule is I will stop shooting when I'm out of bullets or out of hogs.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 07:08 PM

You got nothing to lose by shooting or trapping them. If you do nothing the deer are gone and season ruined.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

This ^^^^^^^
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/13/21 09:45 PM

Fulldraw55, address or meeting location and date and time needed. Let's go and kill em all. As long as it's before hunting season, no license required.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/15/21 07:31 PM

This is what our opening weekend looked like last year. I say get after them now, run em off, then you’ll start getting deer again.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/16/21 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by TCM3

This ^^^^^^^

My land, and anyone else's this is my policy for hogs and coyotes. Unless I am told otherwise on someone else's place. And I never have been told otherwise.

Suppressed rifles sure do help with this. Head shoot the hogs if possible to keep the loudest animal on the planet from screaming its' head off.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/16/21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Fulldraw55, address or meeting location and date and time needed. Let's go and kill em all. As long as it's before hunting season, no license required.

Does Oklahoma have the same laws concerning hog hunting as Texas? I misread the post. Texans can shoot them anytime of the year without license.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/16/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

Does Oklahoma have the same laws concerning hog hunting as Texas? I misread the post. Texans can shoot them anytime of the year without license.

That is correct on private land hogs are fare game without a license in Texas and I believe that is the same in OK.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/17/21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Deersteaks
I would use a gun instead of a bow. If you can get close enough, use a shotgun with buckshot or an AR and take out as many as you can at one time. Most places I've hunted, pigs wont return to that area for a while after being shot at and some of their herd going down.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Need Your Opinion - 09/17/21 03:56 PM

AR with biggest mag you have...night vision a plus...laze and blaze the piggies...deer will return when pigs stay away...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum