Texas Hunting Forum

SD card issues

Posted By: booger

SD card issues - 09/06/21 02:35 PM

Has anyone else had issues with cards not registering pictures? 2 cameras and 5 cards with only 2 ever registering picts.... Is it a format issue? I know that cameras work because I just loaded 2000 picts last week but this week nothing on different cards.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 02:40 PM

Are you sure the cards are not locked? Some cameras tell you others do not. There is a little slide switch on the side and if it is in the position furthest from the connections it is locked from adding data or deleting data but you can view what is on the card.

You could try formatting, adding or deleting something on the card and if it is locked the PC will let you if it is locked.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 03:44 PM

I have been having issue with my cards when I go to delete all the photos after loading them onto my desktop. It will say they are deleted but when I try to format the cards I get a popup saying they are protected. They will not format. I can insert the card again later and then they will format. I sometimes have to format them in my Canon 90D. Same card used next week in the cams will not show this and work fine. I get this issue randomly with every model of cam when loading them on my desktop. Not every time but at random. I now format my cards every time I use them due to the different brands of cams I am using. I have one new Tasco cam that will not read in my Canon 90D and all the rest of the cards from other cams will read in that camera. Some cards will not read when I put them in the card reader on my desktop and if I eject the card then re-insert it, it then works. Times I can insert a card and get the screen where they are usually download, but nothing is loading. Eject the card and re-insert and they work fine. I usually go to File Explorer and find the port where the card is registering and open there to see if there are any pics on the card. Part of my issue may be the brand and age of the SD cards also.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 07:39 PM

Some new cameras require type 3 cards
Posted By: glocker17

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 09:16 PM

Make sure card is supported. Many have a 32gb cap, when in doubt format your old cards on your PC. Mine seem to last 18mo max before having issues.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 09:49 PM

The contacts can get dirty . Clean by wiping them with a pencil eraser or on your pants . Also the little plastic divider strips can bend or brake and stop the contact .
Posted By: tlk

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 09:59 PM

cameras are a pain IMO - kind of like corn feeders that work sometimes and sometimes not - they can be very frustrating to say the least

I have been through almost every brand there is and at the end of the day most of them are not designed to work long term especially in 110 plus degree temperatures in south texas

One of the tricks the companies started is refusing to let you return them for repair even if they are under warranty.

At this point the best one I have found is the Moultrie 180 panoramics - not cheap but take good pics and so far are reliable
Posted By: freerange

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by diablodog
The contacts can get dirty . Clean by wiping them with a pencil eraser or on your pants . Also the little plastic divider strips can bend or brake and stop the contact .

If I wipe anything on my pants when im working at the lease its gonna almost for certain come away dirtier than pre wipe, but I am sure its a good idea to clean them.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: SD card issues - 09/06/21 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Are you sure the cards are not locked? Some cameras tell you others do not. There is a little slide switch on the side and if it is in the position furthest from the connections it is locked from adding data or deleting data but you can view what is on the card.

You could try formatting, adding or deleting something on the card and if it is locked the PC will let you if it is locked.

This would be the first thing that I would check. If the SD’s lock is loose it can lock itself when inserted into the camera or computer.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: SD card issues - 09/07/21 12:31 AM

I reformat my cards in the camera every single time and never have issues.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: SD card issues - 09/07/21 12:32 AM

I have found some cards and cameras just don't like each other.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: SD card issues - 09/07/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan

This. I've found the only time I have issues is when I format them with a PC or other device. Any time I format with the game cam they work perfectly.
Posted By: freerange

Re: SD card issues - 09/07/21 04:33 PM

I hear this word format a lot but dont really understand it. If you "delete" the card on the computer or on the camera, is that the same thing as formatting? Or is there another step? Recently, since Im become more personally involved in managing our many cameras, I have started deleting on computer and then deleting on the camera also. I was told to "delete" on camera cause it "kind of resets and reformats it" to that camera. I used to mix and match different cards with different cameras without any regard for which camera they were used in before. Recently I have kept them organized and separated so I can put the same card back into the same camera.
Posted By: George S

Re: SD card issues - 09/07/21 06:25 PM

Insert the SD card into the reader on your PC.

Your PC should see the card in under a minute and assign a drive letter.

Go to "This PC" and right-click on the drive associated with the SD card.

One of the options in the drop-down menu will be "format". Cllck it.

A window will appear with the details of the card. Un-click the "quick format' box and press 'Start'.

When it's done formatting, close that window and go back to "This PC". right-click the drive associated with the SD card, and select "Eject". You will be prompted to remove the SD card.

You should always eject SD cards and USB devices using this method. It closes all the files on the device.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: SD card issues - 09/15/21 09:53 PM

I always make sure the write protect tab is in write position, then put a very small drop of superglue on and I don't have to worry about bumping or hitting it ever again.
Format them on a PC in FAT32 on a Windoze or Linux box - If you format them on an Apple machine, good luck...Apple hates Microsoft and FAT32.
When you format, you usually have a choice to simply write over the existing data with all zeros or actually erase the data as you format.
The second version wipes out everything and you have a clean slate to write on.

The contacts on a standard SD card will eventually get dirty or sometimes surface corrode die to moisture in the camera and lose contact.
I switched to MicroSD cards inserted in a standard SD converter.
When the SD converter contacts goes wack, I just pull the MicroSD card out of the converter, drop it in the trash and put MicroSD in a new one.
The converters can be had for a quarter each if you hunt for them and are much cheaper than throwing away the actual memory.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: SD card issues - 09/19/21 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan

Same.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum