Texas Hunting Forum

Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton?

Posted By: UNT@2007

Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 06:22 PM

When tpwd started these public dove hunting leases there were several in Krum and Sanger. The next year there was only one in Sanger that was lousy. The past seven years or so there hasn’t been any leases available around Denton. You have to drive an hour or two away to hunt at one. 😡l
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 06:23 PM

That must mean that the land owner did not think it was worth the money after their first year.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
That must mean that the land owner did not think it was worth the money after their first year.

Aka a hunter made him/her mad.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 06:50 PM

There was some good hunting around Houston at one time. The landowners sold to developers and they wouldn't lease to the state anymore.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by UNT@2007
When tpwd started these public dove hunting leases there were several in Krum and Sanger. The next year there was only one in Sanger that was lousy. The past seven years or so there hasn’t been any leases available around Denton. You have to drive an hour or two away to hunt at one. 😡l

Can you not hunt LBJ?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 08:25 PM

LBJ would be where to go, alright.
Posted By: Jsullivanj

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/01/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
There was some good hunting around Houston at one time. The landowners sold to developers and they wouldn't lease to the state anymore.

Development, development, development, and real estate investors, lol
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/06/21 04:44 AM

You could always buy some land near Denton…and then lease it to the state…I’d probably drive 2 hours to hunt dove on it…

Philanthropy is the solution to this problem…LOL
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/06/21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jsullivanj
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

Development, development, development, and real estate investors, lol

Even the one in Chapell Hill has slowly gotten smaller over the years. I have been to a few and I understand why, people treat some of the places as their personal dumpsters.

But development is really the big one near any city that growing.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/06/21 12:54 PM

nidea Here is a novel idea......you could always lease some land for hunting and that way you would not have to deal without having a place to hunt.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/06/21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
nidea Here is a novel idea......you could always lease some land for hunting and that way you would not have to deal without having a place to hunt.

Or flop down 20-25% down payment. Get a 20 year loan, and pay $800 to $2000 a month in land payments.
Posted By: 1 bois d arc bow man

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/06/21 03:00 PM

Yep getting harder to find a place around D co. hunted up that way for years. Develpment every where!! I rememder one such field bout 400acres usually milo. was public hunting 10 or so yrs ago& sometimes good. There have been a lot of homes built up there in last 5 - 6 yrs. Was up there 9/1 not worth the drive. I lost some go to spots from a LARGE solar development/ ranch. Hundreds of acres. Some local farmers / l.o. aint happy.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 12:33 AM

Probably bc the people who volunteered their land weren’t happy with sloppy hunters leaving their hulls and trash everywhere and not respecting their property so they decided not to allow use anymore.
Posted By: 1 bois d arc bow man

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 02:23 AM

[quote=SapperTitan]Probably bc the people who volunteered their land weren’t happy with sloppy hunters leaving their hulls and trash everywhere and not respecting their property so they decided not to allow use anymore.[ so true
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Probably bc the people who volunteered their land weren’t happy with sloppy hunters leaving their hulls and trash everywhere and not respecting their property so they decided not to allow use anymore.

This is most likely the case.

I am continually amazed at how some people treat other people's property. Cigarette butts, beer cans/bottles, empty shells, food waste etc etc.......some people have no respect. They just don't get it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

I am continually amazed at how some people treat other people's property. Cigarette butts, beer cans/bottles, empty shells, food waste etc etc.......some people have no respect. They just don't get it.

Fer hundred acres north of me was this way every year. About 150 city folk com out for about 30 birds. They would really trash up the place. Early September 1, I always make sure and get DOPE on a rifle with no brake. There's nothing like responding to shotguns with a rifle banging steel. I don't have a trespassing problem.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 12:27 PM

Biden signs...... bolt
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

Biden signs...... bolt

Ha haaaaaa! Yessr, and there’s that! roflmao frown
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/07/21 02:57 PM

OP (or anyone with that attitude) should buy a piece of property & let every swingingdick from Dallas come hunt it.

Ever notice how the “free hunt” crowd doesn’t own any land, but wants everyone who does to let them hunt it?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/08/21 03:10 PM

It’s because people are so damn inconsiderate. When a new spot opens up it gets flooded, if everybody leaves behind so much as their hulls it piles up and gets pretty stupid pretty fast. And crowded, so crowded. No doves, people still out there blowing away grasshoppers and cicadas.

Not all like that but many are and I’ve seen it.

That is why no one wants to lease prime habitat in convenient location to TPWD.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/08/21 03:15 PM

Stupid to the point that I’d rather just not hunt and damn sure won’t take my kids out there again.

I have just chocked those dove fields up as a loss anyway.

Get out on some good corps of engineers land and do some homework and some scouting. Bring a fishing pole, the best crappie hole I have ever fished in my life I found scouting corps land.

Stay off those dove fields.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/08/21 06:32 PM

That has definitely happened.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/08/21 06:49 PM

Happened in Rockwall
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/13/21 03:39 PM

"volunteered their land" ?
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/13/21 03:47 PM

I love having my own place. I don't smoke but I enjoy cruising around throwing out beer cans, hulls, etc wherever I want. The hulls and brass I never mess with but I usually pick up the beer cans at some point or just shoot at them.

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/13/21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter

"volunteered their land" ?

Volunteer into a below market and unrestricted lease agreement
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Why are there not any public hunting leases around Denton? - 09/13/21 05:25 PM

Why can't I be a millionaire and own a ranch in the Hill Country and a larger one in South Texas and have a plane at my disposal to take me so I would not have to drive an hour or two to get there?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum