Texas Hunting Forum

License age

Posted By: toddjohnson

License age - 08/25/21 02:10 AM

I thought my 12 yo needed a youth license but the guy at Academy said nothing until he’s 17. Doesn’t sound right to me. I looked it up and seems like I need item 169. It’s only 7$. Any of the great minds here know if he does need one. Thanks for the help

Todd
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: License age - 08/25/21 02:20 AM

Needs a license. Sounds like he was confusing hunters Ed certification.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: License age - 08/25/21 02:31 AM

He also needs Hunter Ed Certification if we wants to hunt in stand by himself. Otherwise, he needs to stay withing normal speaking distance of a licensed and HE certified hunter, or a hunter old enough so that HE certification is not needed.

What many people fail to realize when the season is about to begin is that kids 16 and under cannot earn HE certification by only taking the online courses. Only hunters 17 and older can follow that route. Those 16 and under must take the one-day classroom course, or a special online course PLUS a half-day field course. It can be very difficult to find an opening in the classroom or field training when waiting until the last minute.
Posted By: Espy

Re: License age - 08/25/21 02:32 AM

Yes he needs one the license is 7 dollars .
A youth can take the Hunter Education class starting at age 9 I believe its 15 dollars.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: License age - 08/25/21 02:33 AM

He needs one, it’s cheap
Posted By: angus1956

Re: License age - 08/25/21 08:05 AM

Yep he needs the $7.00 one. GW told me if the kids pull the trigger on any game he needs a license.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: License age - 08/25/21 11:12 AM

He's confusing hunting license with fishing license. Kids don't need a Texas fishing license until they're 17.

Re: License age - 08/25/21 12:30 PM

That is what I figured.he will be with me at all Times right now. Thanks for the help
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: License age - 08/25/21 12:31 PM

Absolutely needs a hunting license as well as Hunter's Education before he hunts by himself.

And don't forget to have him sign that license and always log in the kills on the back when you use a tag!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: License age - 08/25/21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Absolutely needs a hunting license as well as Hunter's Education before he hunts by himself.

And don't forget to have him sign that license and always log in the kills on the back when you use a tag!

And be sure he uses HIS tag and his deer.

Re: License age - 08/25/21 03:27 PM

No deer hunting for us. Just birds, but I appreciate the heads up.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: License age - 08/26/21 04:17 PM

Great time to teach him right from the get go about having a license and following the license requirements.

Hope you have a chance to get him out duck hunting this fall too. He might enjoy learning to call.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: License age - 08/26/21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Great time to teach him right from the get go about having a license and following the license requirements.

Hope you have a chance to get him out duck hunting this fall too. He might enjoy learning to call.

Figure whoever was selling the license got hunting and fishing confused.....most of this folks aren’t the sharpest knife in the drawer....(no offense to anyone here who 1) sells them and )2 is competent and does this for a living ....)

I’ve worked at more than one place (and interviewed with many more over the years)! that if you could “fog a mirror” meaning we’re breathing and had a pulse you would be hired.....)

That probably explains why I got some of my past jobs....

grin bolt

Re: License age - 08/26/21 11:15 PM

Oh yeah he was excited to get his first official license. Would love to get him on some ducks, he has been practicing his calls. It’s loud around here some days, haha. The guy at academy seemed a little preoccupied. Thanks for the help, we are set to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum