Texas Hunting Forum

Done with campers

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Done with campers - 07/19/21 10:12 PM

for now. If I had inside storage and could bring one home during the off season, maybe. All in for this $1600.00. Will never leak, have a blow out, need a title, tags or fall to pieces after sitting at the lease for a few years. A bunk, shelves, AC, space heater and room for my ATV when I leave. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 10:30 PM

Very nice. I tell you've done some building before (or whoever put that together). Nice work.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Very nice. I tell you've done some building before (or whoever put that together). Nice work.

Agreed - nice work!

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

Thanks. About 30 years ago I had a "carpenter" hired to do some work for me. He stood me up, didn't even call until a week later wanting to know if he could start. During that time I realized I was at least, as smart as he was and if he could frame, so could I. I bought a square, a book and a miter saw. That lame a-- did me the biggest favor ever, I learned what run/rise was. I'll never quit my day job but I got stuff like this.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 11:03 PM

Looks great. It's doesn't take much but ventilation for the space heater is a must, given it's not electric. Not sure but the ventilation through the idle AC might be sufficient.

18 square inches (example 4 1/4” x 4 1/4” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation of a propane Buddy Heater.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 11:37 PM

Nice work, but you will want some windows. Make some shutters so you can cover them when not there.

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Looks great. It's doesn't take much but ventilation for the space heater is a must, given it's not electric. Not sure but the ventilation through the idle AC might be sufficient.

18 square inches (example 4 1/4” x 4 1/4” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation of a propane Buddy Heater.

It will be electric.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 11:48 PM

Nice work and even better on making it break down for transport.

Re: Done with campers - 07/19/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Nice work, but you will want some windows. Make some shutters so you can cover them when not there.

Na, I only change clothes and sleep in there. This was built to be broke down and hauled, windows complicate that process a bit. This is the 3rd one of these I've built. The others were built on site. Building at home allowed me the opportunity to work at my own pace, and not have to haul tools and materials out to the middle of the panhandle. Record rain fall washed out a crossing, so getting into camp was dropping the trailer and going back to assemble the next week.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Done with campers - 07/20/21 12:30 AM

You are a smart man.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Done with campers - 07/20/21 12:31 AM

Props to you for pulling that off. I couldn't do that space even if it were just me, much less if my kids / grandkids wanted to come. Gotten a little too spoiled over the years with having all the luxuries of home at the lease I suppose. Pulled it off many years ago with just a tent, no water, electric, cell phone, ATV's, etc. I'm on the side of life closer to being dead than being born so I'm gonna enjoy the spoils while I can.
Posted By: LtizzleMcTiz

Re: Done with campers - 07/20/21 01:52 AM

Stopped pulling a camper to the ranch years ago. Once RvShare and Outdoorsy started delivering it saves gas, setup, break down and no insurance, storage costs or ownership costs and no maintenance. They basically deliver everywhere.

Re: Done with campers - 07/20/21 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by LtizzleMcTiz
Stopped pulling a camper to the ranch years ago. Once RvShare and Outdoorsy started delivering it saves gas, setup, break down and no insurance, storage costs or ownership costs and no maintenance. They basically deliver everywhere.

How much per night, Briscoe County, three miles off the payment, 4wd required to camp? May try that for when I have family visit. We have a small cooking cabin that's great for meals and such, but my wife needs all the amenities of home for the 2-3 night per year she MAY be there. There's decent lodging 15 miles into town, so if it's more than $100.00 per night, prolly just make the drive.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Done with campers - 07/20/21 10:23 PM

I like your style
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Done with campers - 07/20/21 11:05 PM

Lookin forward to seeing the new stabbin cabin in person!!

Not like that, but you know...

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by reeder05
Lookin forward to seeing the new stabbin cabin in person!!

Not like that, but you know...

Bought a garage sale dresser, doesn't go with my interior design plan, but it'll work.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 12:38 AM

Man I dig it. Nice work

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 12:39 AM

Show some inside pics when you get it done

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Show some inside pics when you get it done

Not much to show, plain, just the framing. It's 6'-3" wide, just right for the built in twin bed to run side to side at the back, You'll notice that in the framing of the side walls where it's doubled up about 40" from the back wall. It floats, so I can store gear under it. It's not insulated, and doesn't need it. With an electric space heater, it will be fine. I've got hot in a tent with a space heater, so this will as well. The doors on the front, one is 25", the other 30" I can swing both open to park my ATV inside so I can stop hauling it back and forth each trip. For me in and out, I just use the 25" door, the one with the T Handle latch. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 12:15 PM

I did the same, but on a larger scale and more permanent. Land owner agreed to me building a small place and I like it way more than a trailer.

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
I did the same, but on a larger scale and more permanent. Land owner agreed to me building a small place and I like it way more than a trailer.

This one is portable, should the need ever arise. My single axle trailer is 6'-5" x 12'. We have a small, site built permanent cabin.

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 01:17 PM

Really nice work sir
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 03:21 PM

I like it, simple but effective.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 03:49 PM

You say it was built to break down and haul, but it appears with a winch it would be really easy to leave it together and haul as well. Looks great, I like it.

Re: Done with campers - 07/21/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
You say it was built to break down and haul, but it appears with a winch it would be really easy to leave it together and haul as well. Looks great, I like it.

Exactly. Either way. Now that the roof has metal on it, and it's 100% complete, that's the best option. Hauling it the way I did, I drove 80 mph, no issues four hours. Assembled, slower drive, a little more risk. Original plan was to haul in tact using a friends trailer. Heavy rains washed out our access to camp and caused a change of plans. I actually loaded the deck and two end walls, about 800 lbs, with a high lift jack, concrete blocks and a come along. Jacked up the rear, blocked it, jacked up the front, blocked it about 5' back, drove under it, sucked it up the rest of the way with the come along. I then laid the side walls on top and that was it. Dropped it off, and the next weekend assembled, decked roof, felt and metal edging. My roof metal came in and I fastened that last week and on my feeder filling run, screwed it down. Done.
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: Done with campers - 07/22/21 08:25 PM

I need to hire you to build one for me. I share your dislike for trailers, mine has a leak right now that needs my attention.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Done with campers - 07/22/21 09:01 PM

I built several blinds the same way, 4x4, 4x8. I could assemble them on a 6ft or a 10ft stand. Made with 2x2 and exterior 1/2" plywood painted. Pull up each section with rope and screw together, leave one side off to install roof then install last side.

Re: Done with campers - 07/22/21 09:26 PM

You mean like this: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Done with campers - 07/22/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Boone
I need to hire you to build one for me. I share your dislike for trailers, mine has a leak right now that needs my attention.

Under the right circumstances, a travel trailer is the way to go. In my this case, this place, no way. If you need some questions answered, on material, cut angles, send me a pm. I'm glad to help.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Done with campers - 07/23/21 12:02 AM

Impressive
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Done with campers - 07/23/21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
You mean like this: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looking good cheers

Re: Done with campers - 07/23/21 02:25 AM

Man y’all are good

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 03:18 PM

Was asked for inside pic's. My decorator is still working on flooring selection, but it's gotta be 12' wide sheet vinyl from Home Depot [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 03:21 PM

See , that’s all you need. I dig it

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
See , that’s all you need. I dig it

A heavier blanket, that AC and fan freeze you out at night.
Posted By: cos

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 05:06 PM

Just add a solar shower and your set.

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cos

Not a bad idea. I been wetting a towel, laying it in the sun and swabbing down. The things a man will do to kill a deer.....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 05:31 PM

Been wanting to do something similar to this and lumber pricing has really came down in the last 2 weeks. I will hopefully have electricity within the next week or two so I can build it in place. Trying to get a well drill is taking longer than I hoped but I have a solar well about 1/2 mile from where I am building a house next year. For a temp shower if you have well water you can take a black garden hose, add a nozzle, and fill the hose with water. Leave on the bare ground and it will heat up enough for one hot rinse shower.
Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: Done with campers - 08/01/21 10:01 PM

Need a wall mounted gun rack too
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Done with campers - 08/02/21 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by cos

Not a bad idea. I been wetting a towel, laying it in the sun and swabbing down. The things a man will do to kill a deer.....

Just setup a water tank (100 gallons or so) and run an on demand pump. You can have city water pressure this way and run a toilet, shower, etc. Have to haul water occasionally but it is amazing how long 100 gallons will last you if you do it smart.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Done with campers - 08/04/21 03:09 PM

I used the same thing before
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum