Texas Hunting Forum

Stonewall county

Posted By: therock

Stonewall county - 06/01/21 01:04 PM

Some friends are looking at a property north of Aspermont and was askin g me about the hunting and general info of the area. I am not familiar with the area. What say the forum? It’s a large property with a couple of live creeks on it with good tanks that supposedly hold water year round as well. TIA!
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Stonewall county - 06/01/21 01:36 PM

Can be great country up there. I love the landscape up there. If they have good neighbors, I bet it would be good. Some great bucks in that area. Lots of pigs & good bird hunting.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Stonewall county - 06/02/21 06:19 AM

It is good hunting and great country but I have heard that Aspermont has gone downhill with lots of meth issues and and the crime that goes along with it. Might be careful if your place is easily accessible.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Stonewall county - 06/04/21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Can be great country up there. I love the landscape up there. If they have good neighbors, I bet it would be good. Some great bucks in that area. Lots of pigs & good bird hunting.

What he said. I have friends that have hunted there a long time. Plenty of game. With full time tanks, the duck hunting is excellent. Also plenty of rattlesnakes.
Posted By: DSpur72

Re: Stonewall county - 06/04/21 03:10 PM

I own a place there, north of town, just a little off the river. The hunting around us was very good - years ago. We still see a fair amount of deer 10 - 20 per sit, but in our area - the mature deer are gone. I watched a 3 1/2 year old 10 and probably the same age class 8, fighting in front of me opening morning last year. Both were solid deer, but needed more age on them. They both jumped the fence to a neighbor and within 15 to 20 minutes, both of those deer were shot. We only own 500 acres so it's a struggle to grow a mature deer. The increased hunting pressure, (over the years) has severely impacted our area. Poachers are another MAJOR ISSUE, which I have personally caught on our property. Game Wardens are non existent in that county. In 18 years of owning that place, the only game warden I have seen was after catching 3 guys that were still on the property. With all that said, there are still some very good deer on the larger ranches in that area. If you can keep the poachers away, (which won't happen) and the younger deer from jumping the fence - you should have a great place. Good luck!
Posted By: freerange

Re: Stonewall county - 06/04/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DSpur72
I own a place there, north of town, just a little off the river. The hunting around us was very good - years ago. We still see a fair amount of deer 10 - 20 per sit, but in our area - the mature deer are gone. I watched a 3 1/2 year old 10 and probably the same age class 8, fighting in front of me opening morning last year. Both were solid deer, but needed more age on them. They both jumped the fence to a neighbor and within 15 to 20 minutes, both of those deer were shot. We only own 500 acres so it's a struggle to grow a mature deer. The increased hunting pressure, (over the years) has severely impacted our area. Poachers are another MAJOR ISSUE, which I have personally caught on our property. Game Wardens are non existent in that county. In 18 years of owning that place, the only game warden I have seen was after catching 3 guys that were still on the property. With all that said, there are still some very good deer on the larger ranches in that area. If you can keep the poachers away, (which won't happen) and the younger deer from jumping the fence - you should have a great place. Good luck!

I think this is all pretty true of most areas of the State. Depending on your size place and your neighbors size and hunting situation, almost anywhere can have good deer, or not.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Stonewall county - 06/04/21 11:21 PM

Pretty area, a lot of leased land in the county. Quality depends on the area hunters, quantity has always been pretty good.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Stonewall county - 06/05/21 12:10 AM

Few big eared deer in that area as well. rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum