Texas Hunting Forum

Tower Blind Move Suggestion

Posted By: ZenArchery

Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 03:12 AM

Old 18ft. metal/aluminum tower blind in great condition. We want to keep it in same space but just rotate it 90 degrees for archery purposes. We have a tractor with forks we figured we could lift it up. But how do we keep it from toppling over?
I’m certain someone here has experience in this endeavor.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 03:20 AM

I love tall towers, as long as there is a safe way to get into it. Standing them up or taking them down scares the crap outa me. Some guys have the system down, but it seems like something you need to learn hands-on.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 01:32 PM

Lift & twist one leg at a time. What is so difficult?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 01:41 PM

We turned one with cheap furniture movers and a come-along.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Lift & twist one leg at a time. What is so difficult?

This is what we usually do. It may seem like its too heavy to do that but once you start you will see its not. You can put a pry type bar on a corner for leverage if needed.
Ive never used a tractor for that but I GUESS you could tie long ropes on each corner and have men on the ropes to help balance it.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 04:44 PM

Picture of the blind and where it sits would be helpful.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Picture of the blind and where it sits would be helpful.

This ^^^^^^ If the tower is aluminum, seeing how well the legs are braced and how they are braced is critical IMO to moving it. I have bent the legs on steel towers that were not braced very well when I tried to lift one corner with a tractor and turn it. The other legs were partially buried and dug into the ground causing the issue. Poor bracing was another factor. Also what are the dimensions of the top and the bottom, this will tell how top heavy it is.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 05:57 PM

How big of a tractor? If you can reach half way up the legs it's fairly easy. I've done this a number of times, but requires good cross bracing on the tower legs. Actually works better with a bucket versus forks. Reach about 80% of your total lift height up the side of the legs. Rachet strap the bucket around all four legs. Use at least two 4 inch straps. Lift a couple inches in the air and spin 90 degrees.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/28/21 06:44 PM

Hold my beer, watch this!
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/29/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Hold my beer, watch this!

roflmao
Posted By: cos

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/29/21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
How big of a tractor? If you can reach half way up the legs it's fairly easy. I've done this a number of times, but requires good cross bracing on the tower legs. Actually works better with a bucket versus forks. Reach about 80% of your total lift height up the side of the legs. Rachet strap the bucket around all four legs. Use at least two 4 inch straps. Lift a couple inches in the air and spin 90 degrees.

This. moved several quite a ways using this method.
Posted By: Orion

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/30/21 04:51 PM

Just cut another shooting window and don't rotate.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/30/21 05:17 PM

I have a tall heavy tower blind made of iron and drilling pipe. Mine is taller and heavier than yours. I have turned it by jacking each leg up one at a time just enough to place a short 2x6 or 2x8 under each leg post laid lengthwise in the general direction I am turning or moving the blind. If you are preparing in advance and not just using scrap from around the lease, cut the ends of the 2x6 in an angle so it moves across the ground easier without digging in or hanging on rocks. So each leg is on a skid basically. Then use a come along or chain to vehicle to move or turn it a few inches at a time, reconnecting as needed to change the angle of pull as it turns or to attach to a different leg. Sledge hammer to change the angle of each leg skid as needed. Baby steps a few inches at a time until I get it where I need it. Chain or cable for pulling needs to be as close to the ground as possible so you are pulling it horizontal, not pulling down on it. It is easier than you would think.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/30/21 05:19 PM

I have a tall heavy tower blind made of iron and drilling pipe. Mine is taller and heavier than yours. I have turned it by jacking each leg up one at a time just enough to place a short 2x6 or 2x8 under each leg post laid lengthwise in the general direction I am turning or moving the blind. If you are preparing in advance and not just using scrap from around the lease, cut the ends of the four 2x6s in an angle so each moves across the ground easier without digging in or hanging on rocks. So each leg is on a skid basically. Then use a come along or chain to vehicle to move or turn it a few inches at a time, reconnecting as needed to change the angle of pull as it turns or to attach to a different leg. Sledge hammer to change the angle of each leg skid as needed. You want to keep the skids pointed in the direction your moving. Baby steps a few inches at a time until I get it where I need it. Chain or cable for pulling needs to be as close to the ground as possible so you are pulling it horizontal, not pulling down on it. It is easier than you would think.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 05/31/21 02:00 PM

Had a really heavy 4x4 blind on a 6’ tower made of Masonite that I used for about 20 years at different leases. Finally figured out a way to put it up without a back injury.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Tower Blind Move Suggestion - 06/05/21 10:29 AM

Gin pole works well on setting up and helpful on the other side. 4x8. Get it moved??
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum