Texas Hunting Forum

New Shotgun

Posted By: hook_n_line

New Shotgun - 04/23/21 11:59 AM

I was looking around for 20 guage ammo and saw just how expensive it is on line $179 a case. I have a couple of cases but it won't last through dove season with the kids wanting to join in. I started looking in the garage and found 6 1/2 cases of 12 gauge. I weighed out the difference so now I own a new Weatherby Element in 12 gauge, bolt When the ammo is priced more than the gun it's going to be scary.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 01:43 PM

It’s ridiculous
Posted By: Gw123

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 05:35 PM

“Honey, I can buy a new gun cheaper than I can shoot the ones I already own.”

What a great reason for a new firearm of any kind, will have to keep that one in the back of my mind.
Posted By: Rche

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 05:59 PM

I have been using my 12GA Element to hunt feral hogs on my property for a year or so.... It is a nice shooting shotgun which copied the Benelli "inertia" semi auto action...smooth shooting even with 3" 00 Buckshot.
Enjoy the Weatherby
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 06:37 PM

I have seen 20 gauge shotgun shells around many WalMarts here in San Antonio. Around $6.99 a box.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rche
I have been using my 12GA Element to hunt feral hogs on my property for a year or so.... It is a nice shooting shotgun which copied the Benelli "inertia" semi auto action...smooth shooting even with 3" 00 Buckshot.
Enjoy the Weatherby

Thanks for the info. cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 08:30 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: jrfan

Re: New Shotgun - 04/23/21 09:05 PM

I like the way you think!
Posted By: WattoHunt

Re: New Shotgun - 04/24/21 08:27 PM

Enjoy the Weatherby

I just picked up a Beretta 1301 for feral hogs....finding buckshot has been a challenge.

I'm curious to know how the buckshot works on the bigger pigs vs. say a 300g slug.

I'm running and gunning out of my SxS on ranch roads, so perfect shot placement is not always in the cards.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: New Shotgun - 04/25/21 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by WattoHunt
Enjoy the Weatherby

I just picked up a Beretta 1301 for feral hogs....finding buckshot has been a challenge.

I'm curious to know how the buckshot works on the bigger pigs vs. say a 300g slug.

I'm running and gunning out of my SxS on ranch roads, so perfect shot placement is not always in the cards.

Federal makes a Tactical, or personal defense load in 12 ga, with "Flight Control Wad". I've killed a few pigs with it, and it works very well. The flight control wad isn't perforated so it doesn't peel back and open up as fast, keeping the pattern a lot tighter down range. If you use it, do not use a restricted choke. It will tear the wad defeating it's purpose. We had some posts on it a few years ago, I'll see if I can find them. I shot it through an IC choke and at 30 yards put all 9 pellets in a 7" pattern. Killed a pig with it at 35 yards and he was DRT, fell right over. That was the 2-3/4", you don't need the 3".
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: New Shotgun - 04/25/21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by WattoHunt
Enjoy the Weatherby

Federal makes a Tactical, or personal defense load in 12 ga, with "Flight Control Wad". I've killed a few pigs with it, and it works very well. The flight control wad isn't perforated so it doesn't peel back and open up as fast, keeping the pattern a lot tighter down range. If you use it, do not use a restricted choke. It will tear the wad defeating it's purpose. We had some posts on it a few years ago, I'll see if I can find them. I shot it through an IC choke and at 30 yards put all 9 pellets in a 7" pattern. Killed a pig with it at 35 yards and he was DRT, fell right over. That was the 2-3/4", you don't need the 3".

Good to know OSW, I need to look into the tactical stuff for blind hunting.
So far I have had good results with just regular 2 3/4" 00 buckshot.
I enjoy sitting in a bow blind and waiting for the pigs to come running in all around, then blitzkreiging them suckers.
When the opportunity presents itself, running down pigs in a SxS is whole new game. Going full out across a field and bouncing all over is a difficult endeavor. Lots of shells and a wider pattern are good to have.

Re: New Shotgun - 04/28/21 04:49 PM

Wattohunt
Buckshot vs slugs...?
I have taken multiple N TX hogs (200+ lbs) with 12 GA 00 buck shot...including several at ~60 yards with 3" (high brass). I use a Weatherby 1" extension full choke which really helps with tighter longer range patterns. I find the swing action of an open sight works best for me, as I am a lifelong upland bird hunter...and the shooting from a standing position suits my muscle memory the best.
Slugs are very effective, but shot placement and hitting running second shots are more difficult.
I do not hunt out of a vehicle, so I do not have your experience to relate to on the difference on the lethal effectiveness of the 2 loads.
Normally I walk my feeders or I just wait in my blind until the game cameras notices goes off and then I stalk down to shoot. I also utilize a motion activate pig lite for night time hunting...with the same effectiveness with 12 GA 00 buck shot...buckshot makes the shot placement a whole lot easier.
Note - I have taken the upland game plug out of my Weatherby to allow 5 shells so I get to shoot multiple targets as they run after the first shot. Gotta' to love a semi auto hog hunting weapon.
Here are some pics from 3 feral hogs taken in the mid morning this week with 00 buck shot.
These 3 weighed over 700 lbs in total...and they all dropped where they were hit !
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
texas
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: New Shotgun - 04/28/21 04:52 PM

Well done. up I've got to try that sometimes. What part of the pig do you aim for?

Re: New Shotgun - 04/28/21 05:01 PM

Mr T
I aim at the same lethal organ areas as any other weapon...front neck and shoulder. My favorite shotgun patterns all nine 00 pellets in a 40" x 40" square at 50 yards...so I do not have to lead 2nd target very much as you know, the follow on shots are almost always taken on running hogs.
Rche
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum