Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 02:48 AM

https://mailchi.mp/state/gray-wolf-reintroduction-enews-edition?e=7f0fbe4820

It has started!!!!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 02:50 AM

bang
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 03:17 AM

Should get interesting when the wolves spread to the suburbs on the Eastern slope of the Rockies.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 04:49 AM

They will start in RMNP just like Yellowstone.... 2cents
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 01:50 PM

Colorado is a sportsman’s paradise but the state is run by transplanted liberal idiots!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Yelp, Except it’s only 250k acres just a 10th the size of YS. 5 years tops before their are additional breeding pairs with a home range out of the park.

CO had the only growing Moose population in the lower 48. Had.....
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Yelp, Except it’s only 250k acres just a 10th the size of YS. 5 years tops before their are additional breeding pairs with a home range out of the park.

Can't believe they let the liberal agenda prevail in the wolf re-introduction.

What benefit does it serve either man or nature to bring back an apex predator that was eliminated for a reason?

I hope people gut shoot every damn wolf they see

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

What benefit does it serve either man or nature to bring back an apex predator that was eliminated for a reason?

I hope people gut shoot every damn wolf they see

What could they do?

liberals are in control and suppressed all the State Wildlife biologists and suppressed actual costs. Boulder/Denver voted it in.

Ballot biology...
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 03:38 PM

Yep they only trust the science when it's convenient for them.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 03:50 PM

The RMEF has stated that the CPW want start until late 2023 and isn't happy about it passing by 2% on 3.1 million votes.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 04:14 PM

If they start to the North , we'll be shooting them as they cross the state lines. clap

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bp3
The RMEF has stated that the CPW want start until late 2023 and isn't happy about it passing by 2% on 3.1 million votes.

It ain't changing unless someone can get it back on the ballot, and the anti wolf campaign finds double digit millions to run a better as campaign exposing facts.

Cancel spring bear season was same way, that was decades ago
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
If they start to the North , we'll be shooting them as they cross the state lines. clap

I know it's legal in Wyoming, but in Colorado, as terrible of an idea that this reintroduction is, it would be incredibly unwise for anyone to poach a wolf. As a protected species, killing one can lead to 1 year in jail and $100k in fines.

It just sucks that the Eastern Slope has the ability to vote to dictate terms on a terrible idea for the Western Slope.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/05/21 10:10 PM

Geez

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/06/21 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

I know it's legal in Wyoming, but in Colorado, as terrible of an idea that this reintroduction is, it would be incredibly unwise for anyone to poach a wolf. As a protected species, killing one can lead to 1 year in jail and $100k in fines.

It just sucks that the Eastern Slope has the ability to vote to dictate terms on a terrible idea for the Western Slope.

That was pre ESA protection removal. It's a lot cheap now grin
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/06/21 11:18 AM

Wait till the science allows for DNA reproduction of any specie. These condescending Morons will be releasing T REX and Saber Tooth tigers in our national parks!!!

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/06/21 03:36 PM

Not poaching if they move up into Wyoming, already one wolf either collared ion Colorado or verified there crossed into Wyoming and got shot.
Our part of Wyoming wolves are predators, they can be shot on sight regardless of where they came from or if they are collared.

They will move back and forth across our state line and WG&F will gladly let us shoot them.
Certainly not advocating for poaching them.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/07/21 04:30 AM

I say a ballot initiative to reintroduce them on the east slope first. Even better, a lawsuit that it has to be the east slope as intro to the west will interfere with the ongoing mexican wolf program in Arizona. So they should be free to roam on the east slope and shot on site on the west slope. State ballot initiatives do not supercede the ESA.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/07/21 04:09 PM

Not poaching if they move up into Wyoming, already one wolf either collared ion Colorado or verified there crossed into Wyoming and got shot.
Our part of Wyoming wolves are predators, they can be shot on sight regardless of where they came from or if they are collared.

They will move back and forth across our state line and WG&F will gladly let us shoot them.
Certainly not advocating for poaching them.

Good points
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/08/21 01:44 PM

Biggest dang coyote I ever saw.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/08/21 02:15 PM

Look what it did in Michigan when they reintroduced them in the UP. "The UP is mostly empty" they said. "very little livestock" they said.

Deer population decimated in the UP.

Also, this very strange phenomena happens every winter in Northern Michigan. The Great Lakes freeze. Only 5 miles across that ice to the Lower Peninsula. Guess what? Now wolves in the lower peninsula. Northern lower peninsula also has an elk herd that is going to be hit hard.

People up there will take things into their own hands, just like they did with the Cormorants, and gut shoot every wolf they see.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 12:35 PM

I'm guessing for ranchers it is a pretty simple fix...………

SSS
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 02:22 PM

These are people who believe that, if only given enough time, humans are capable of creating utopia. They might just as well believe in unicorns.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
I'm guessing for ranchers it is a pretty simple fix...………

SSS

Way the liberal ideology is on wolves, I promise you they are wanting ranchers to do it so they can go criminal and civil and try to bankrupt them. Number one funding against wolves was Ranchers
Posted By: bp3

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 02:41 PM

Just shoot and remove any collar, buzzards have to eat

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bp3

With today's GPS and satellite heart monitoring etc... Leave the collared alone
Posted By: Sodak58

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 06:53 PM

We as a community need to put our feet down when people who don't hunt try to regulate how we hunt. Same goes for conservation of wildlife, hunters do more for conservation than any libtard has ever done in their lives. People that don't live in the country trying to regulate how we live, it would never fly the other way around.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 08:37 PM

Never under estimate the strength of ignorant people in large numbers.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 08:45 PM

I believe we will start seeing them in the Texas panhandle in about ten years.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by TSU99

I don't think they will go that far south east. The elk herds are very scattered, and light densities. I image there will also be litigation on any lower San Jaun introduces because it starts to effect Mexican Wolf introductions in NM.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/09/21 09:30 PM

they will move north

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/10/21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by TSU99

If so...…...I don't see TX ranchers putting up with em!!

lol

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/10/21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by bp3

With today's GPS and satellite heart monitoring etc... Leave the collared alone

magnet
Posted By: nesikabay

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/10/21 09:00 PM

I SAY PUT 1000s of Wolves in Colorado. I hope they eat every deer and elk they have. They deserve it. Look who they voted into office. The only difference between Colorado and Calli. Is 2 more voting cycles .
Posted By: nesikabay

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/10/21 09:02 PM

I SAY PUT 1000s of Wolves in Colorado. I hope they eat every deer and elk they have. They deserve it. Look who they voted into office. The only difference between Colorado and Calli. Is 2 more voting cycles .
Posted By: Stub

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/10/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

roflmao

I guess I overlooked it in the link, what part or parts of Colorado are they going to reintroduce them to?
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/11/21 02:32 AM

I was born in CO. 5th generation native. Family has been there since the 1850s. Left CO in 1988 to join the USN. Retired from active duty in 2014. Tried to go back to CO and found it no longer existed. What was once CO is now little more than an eastern province of CA and it has adopted CA's idiotic ways. Took Davy Crockett's advice and went to TX.

It really is that simple. Lunatics from the CA asylum are now running and ruining the place
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/21/21 02:34 AM

Wait until the wolves make a pack kill in Estes Park. Suddenly there’ll be new liberal “stragedy.”
Posted By: Erny

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/21/21 02:39 AM

Hmmmm wait till the wolfs start hunting near towns. People will have a very different view on this. Colorado inspite of the liberals still relied heavily on tourism including hunters.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/21/21 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

roflmao

I guess I overlooked it in the link, what part or parts of Colorado are they going to reintroduce them to?

Hey Stub I found the answer for you up laugh

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/CON-Wolf-Management.aspx

Wolf Management
Gray Wolf Planning and Restoration Updates
The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission provided guidance and approval to Colorado Parks and Wildlife to begin the planning process to restore and manage gray wolves in Colorado no later than December 31, 2023

The Parks and Wildlife Commission met on February 24, 2021 to provide additional guidance to the agency on the Stakeholder Workgroup, the next phase of the public engagement and planning process.

To provide comments to the Parks and Wildlife Commission please email wolfcomments@state.co.us.

Colorado is part of the gray wolf’s native range, but wolves were eradicated from the state by the 1940s. Over the past decade, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) restored gray wolves into Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico and Arizona. Individual wolves, and most recently a group of wolves in Moffat County, have been periodically migrating into Colorado. It is possible that wolves from the south may do so someday as well.

To prepare for any future wolf migrations into Colorado, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) created a multi-disciplinary working group that drafted a Wolf Management Plan. The wolf working group's recommendations were adopted in their entirety by the Colorado Wildlife Commission at its May 2005 meeting, and affirmed by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission in 2016.

Proposition 114, a ballot initiative to introduce wolves west of the continental divide, was voted on and passed by Coloradans in November 2020.

Proposition 114 - What Comes Next?
Proposition 114, a ballot initiative directing the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to develop a plan to introduce gray wolves onto the Western Slope of Colorado, passed on November 3, 2020.

Proposition 114 directs the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to:

Develop a plan to reintroduce and manage gray wolves in Colorado no later than December 31, 2023, on designated lands west of the Continental Divide;
Hold statewide hearings about scientific, economic, and social considerations;
Periodically obtain public input to update the plan; and
Use state funds to assist livestock owners in preventing conflicts with gray wolves and pay fair compensation for livestock losses.
At its January 2021 meeting the Parks and Wildlife Commission provided CPW staff with guidance to begin creating a robust, adaptive management plan to reintroduce wolves in Colorado no later than Dec. 31, 2023.

Our Wolves in Colorado FAQ page provides the most current information available on the species and planning status.

As hearings and public input opportunities are planned, CPW will communicate information about how to participate through our website, social media channels, and eNews newsletters.

Wolves in Colorado: Who has Authority?
Until 2021, the gray wolf had been protected under the U.S. Endangered Species Act (ESA) in Colorado since 1974. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) published a rule to delist the species nationwide on November 3, 2020, which returned management control of the species to state and tribal wildlife agencies, including CPW, on January 4, 2021. Litigation has been filed on the federal delisting decision. In the meantime, Colorado Parks and Wildlife remains the managing authority over wolves in the state. Even with the current federal delisting, the species remains listed as endangered under state law in Colorado, and take of gray wolves will remain prohibited.

CPW will utilize the 2004 working group plan until the new plan is developed.

Where would migrating or newly introduced wolves come from?
Wolves that migrate in and out of Colorado would likely come from the Northern Rockies populations currently in the states of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

The plan being developed as a result of Proposition 114 will determine where and from which packs any new wolves being introduced will come from; this will be determined with partnering state and federal agencies.

Wolf Sighting and Confirmations
There are known wolves in the state.

In the summer of 2019 a wolf from the Snake River Pack (a pack in Wyoming) was located in Jackson County, Colorado. Over the past decade we have confirmed or have had probable wolf dispersals that occurred in 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2015. We received a report in January 2020 of six large canids that were seen near the Wyoming and Utah borders. CPW staff were able to locate and visually confirm the presence of the pack. Staff have since received additional sighting reports and photos of this pack.

Most recently, agency staff placed a GPS tracking collar on a wolf in the north-central part of the state. The wolf's presence was confirmed in late January 2021 when it was seen with the wolf from the Snake River pack.

We typically field around 100 sightings each year. When confirmed sightings occur, the number of additional reports spike. However, wolf reports are typically not considered reliable without strong supporting evidence.
Posted By: cowie14

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/21/21 06:42 PM

but wolves were eradicated from the state by the 1940s

Hopefully history will repeat itself!

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/22/21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I was born in CO. 5th generation native. Family has been there since the 1850s. Left CO in 1988 to join the USN. Retired from active duty in 2014. Tried to go back to CO and found it no longer existed. What was once CO is now little more than an eastern province of CA and it has adopted CA's idiotic ways. Took Davy Crockett's advice and went to TX.

It really is that simple. Lunatics from the CA asylum are now running and ruining the place

Very, very sad indeed. CO is one of the absolutely gems of our nation and now those morons have all but ruined it much like a ton of California is ruined with their ignorance.
And now those same type of folks are invading TX by the thousands and telling us how we should run our state. Imagine that! They could no longer take the high cost of living there and sold an average house for $1m there, bought one twice as big and twice as nice here for $300k and put the rest of the money in the bank so that they can tell us how it should be done.

Thank you for your service sir!
Posted By: BDB

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/25/21 02:25 PM

I'll say what were all thinking......

Lets hope a pack of wolves attacks and kills lots of liberals, voters and politicians who voted this in.

Flame away!

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 04:19 AM

Basically Eastern slope people voted introduce wolves in the western slope. I hope someone puts an initiative on the ballot to introduce wolves and griz on the east slope. We need an offense. One thing I noted in the above, it said grey wolves are introduced to NM and AZ. This is incorrect. These are Mexican wolves. The expansion of gray wolves in Colorado Will likely doom the Mexican wolf plan in AZ and NM. They cannot complete with gray wolves which are bound to move south.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by BDB
I'll say what were all thinking......Lets hope a pack of wolves attacks and kills lots of liberals, voters and politicians who voted this in.
Flame away!
- Bunch of ignorant false bravado. Not the way to fix things.

"They cannot complete with gray wolves which are bound to move south." That's what everyone thought when Ed Bangs and his group thought when the reintroduced them farther west. Not what happened. Pretty much, the moved north, back to what they were bred for. They will primarily move north.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

These are people who believe that, if only given enough time, humans are capable of creating utopia. They might just as well believe in unicorns.

The wolves would eat them.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 07:14 PM

Who thinks this will hurt elk numbers which wii in turn decrease tag allotments, drastically increasing Point creep?

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DonPablo
Who thinks this will hurt elk numbers which wii in turn decrease tag allotments, drastically increasing Point creep?

It has reduced elk numbers in every state they have been introduced.

Colorado has a similar issue to Cali, where bear recruitment numbers are at an all time high. With no hound hunting or spring bear season, bear numbers are doing a number on elk calf and deer fawn recruitment. Add wolves to the mix and it's going to get ugly quick.

There is really very little to no true backcountry in CO. It's going to be a train wreck of an introduction

It doesn't take a biologist or ecologist to see the real reason for wolf introduction.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 08:46 PM

They said wolves would only take the weakest. Mature bull elk, weary from battling and rutting, become easy targets. Evade the hunter and then get a pack after 'em. It caught many off guard.

Elk will avoid open pasture where they can be easily spotted. Trees will grow up where elk used to keep them down. The side benefit there is beavers love this and trout habitat improves. Better pick up a fly rod and learn to enjoy it.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/29/21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
They said wolves would only take the weakest. Mature bull elk, weary from battling and rutting, become easy targets. Evade the hunter and then get a pack after 'em. It caught many off guard.

Elk will avoid open pasture where they can be easily spotted. Trees will grow up where elk used to keep them down. The side benefit there is beavers love this and trout habitat improves. Better pick up a fly rod and learn to enjoy it.

that documentary has been shredded by ecologists, it's a joke.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/30/21 12:09 AM

What you talking about Willis? I don't get to see too many documentaries but I was able to hunt with a rancher from the original roof reintroduction committee.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/30/21 12:12 AM

What you talking about Willis? I don't get to see too many documentaries but I was able to hunt with a rancher from the original roof reintroduction committee.

My bad thought you where talking about “How Wolves Change Rivers“.... It's the “frac nation” video of wolf introduction
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/30/21 12:38 AM

Is that roof, woof, or wolf? grin

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/31/21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
I'll say what were all thinking......Lets hope a pack of wolves attacks and kills lots of liberals, voters and politicians who voted this in.
Flame away!
- Bunch of ignorant false bravado. Not the way to fix things.

"They cannot complete with gray wolves which are bound to move south." That's what everyone thought when Ed Bangs and his group thought when the reintroduced them farther west. Not what happened. Pretty much, the moved north, back to what they were bred for. They will primarily move north.

My point was this....Why do you think Congress passes laws that effects everyday people but hardly them? Would the president of the US do something if his/her kid got ran over and killed by a drunk driver? Would Senators get serious about crime if their child was murdered? Not enough BAD things happen to people who are decision makers in our country. And my point is still valid to me if but for my own personal wishes....I hope a pack of wolves does something very bad to someone who wanted the wolf mess the west has now.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/31/21 05:04 PM

One of the items that doesn't get much attention in this proposition is the actual cost. CPW cost estimates for the reintroduction effort ranged from $5 million to $6 million over six years. CPW wildlife conservation funding comes almost entirely from hunters and anglers who buy licenses and habitat stamps. These are the very same people who vehemently oppose the proposition. So all of us who hunt and fish annually in Colorado (including my whole family) get to foot the bill for this terrible idea, which was passed by urban majorities on the Front Range, most of whom do not buy hunting/fishing licenses. Only in America can the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund get what they wanted against heavy opposition and not have to pay for it.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 03/31/21 05:21 PM

One of the items that doesn't get much attention in this proposition is the actual cost. CPW cost estimates for the reintroduction effort ranged from $5 million to $6 million over six years. CPW wildlife conservation funding comes almost entirely from hunters and anglers who buy licenses and habitat stamps. These are the very same people who vehemently oppose the proposition. So all of us who hunt and fish annually in Colorado (including my whole family) get to foot the bill for this terrible idea, which was passed by urban majorities on the Front Range, most of whom do not buy hunting/fishing licenses. Only in America can the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund get what they wanted against heavy opposition and not have to pay for it.

It doesn’t get much attention because it was silenced, the state government gagged the CPW biologists from top down. 100% political

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/01/21 12:24 AM

Meateater did a pretty good podcast on this if anyone is up for a listen

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/01/21 11:30 AM

I enjoy watching his series on tv, do not recall that one or is it on Podcast only?

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/01/21 12:39 PM

I enjoy watching his series on tv, do not recall that one or is it on Podcast only?

Podcast only ep 266

Pretty interesting what could happen if current administration or judge puts them back under ESA protections

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/10/21 01:29 PM

Question...all these wolf re-intro's, Who was behind it? Anti hunters? Liberal tree huggers? State biologist?
Posted By: RevolverFan

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/11/21 03:32 AM

"So yur tellin me this ain't a coyote? officer"

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/11/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by BDB
Question...all these wolf re-intro's, Who was behind it? Anti hunters? Liberal tree huggers? State biologist?

Republic of Boulder, and out of state anti-hunting org. They outraised anti-forced introduction 2x1.

State biologist don’t want the wolf for the most part but have a gage order.

Re: Gray Wolf Reintro Colorado - 04/11/21 05:19 PM

Not state biologists in CO. It was an out of state group.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum