Texas Hunting Forum

indigo snake

Posted By: fish_chum

indigo snake - 03/04/21 03:30 PM

Hi, my name is Aaron and i live in Galveston. I drive to different parts of the state and surrounding states to find and take pictures of diff reptile species. I usually end up at state parks hiking around hoping to find the specific species i am looking for. Once i find the snake or lizard i take its picture for a minute and let them go. I am not a collector and am only hoping for a photo shoot with my iphone. Some people take pics of birds, i do reptiles.
The species i am trying to find at the moment is an indigo snake. I have been down towards the Brownsville area a couple times and put in many hours looking for an indigo but no luck yet.

The reason for this post is i wanted to see if there was anyone that has any land south of San Antonio that would let me walk around looking for reptiles. The most ideal property would possibly have artificial cover on it like old sheds or barns, sheets of tin or plywood but arent necessary. It seems there is very little public land south of san antonio for me to look around on.

I honestly dont want to make this post and have been debating whether to do it or not for a couple weeks but it does become frustrating hiking for days without success. Of course thats part of the hunt and what makes it rewarding when you do get paid off. I just am trying to scout better searching grounds. im hoping to do this anytime in march or april.

If anyone has any tips or other ways for me to access areas, im all ears. Thank you for any help

heres a few examples

Attached picture IMG_0758.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2261.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2501.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3121.jpg
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 03:58 PM

South Texas...south of San Antonio typically can find them along dirt county roads.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 04:01 PM

I wish you luck in your venture.

However my giving permission for you to come on the ranch and document protected/endangered species on it, or declare my private property is now "potential habitat" for the same, while regulating what I can and cannot do on said private property is not gonna happen.

Seen that very thing happen many times.

Sorry
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
South Texas...south of San Antonio typically can find them along dirt county roads.

[Linked Image]

I could have sworn to have seen one at our place in Navarro County. It was only for a moment as he crawled into the wood pile. Do they make their way up this far north?
Posted By: TLew

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 04:07 PM

Hope you use a selfie stick if those are with an iPhone. Might look into something with better glass so maybe you don't have to get in the face of it
Posted By: Blank

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 04:10 PM

I love Indigo's, and seeing them is always a treat. Took my youngest son to the deer lease in Three Rivers one time, and he was riding around with my buddy while we hunted. Saw a big one stretched across the road, and he thought it was a big black hose, for counting traffic. You couldn't have dynamited that kid out of the car, once he realized it was a BIG snake!! smile
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 04:16 PM

I like running into 'em also

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

[Linked Image]

I could have sworn to have seen one at our place in Navarro County. It was only for a moment as he crawled into the wood pile. Do they make their way up this far north?

Not likely....most likely that was a racer. I wish they were up here.....
Posted By: TCM3

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

[Linked Image]

sheesh, that's a long one.
Posted By: 1955

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 08:59 PM

šŸ˜³
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 09:01 PM

[Linked Image]

Me too. Here's one I caught in the back yard at camp a number of years back. How'd you like to step on one this size half asleep in the dark LOL. They are my favorite snakes, and there are lots of them around down here (this was SE Duval County). Always made me sad to get one with the shredder. Spent 25 yrs hunting this place, but no longer have access to it (so no help to the OP). This was a nice snake, but the biggest one I've seen was on the King Ranch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

[Linked Image]

He was looking for this guy on the KR
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 09:21 PM

Talk to guys at Choke Canyon State Park, James Daughtrey WMA(34,000 acres including the lake), Chaparral WMA(15,200 acres) or maybe even Lake CC State Park to see if they can give you any help. All of these are in South Texas.

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 09:23 PM

Best low cost opportunities without knowing someone.

Second best would be to start walking at the border and follow a pipeline. Make sure to bring gallon jugs for water.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 10:04 PM

Good luck sir

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies!! I appreciate it!!

Re: indigo snake - 03/04/21 10:59 PM

Best low cost opportunities without knowing someone.

Second best would be to start walking at the border and follow a pipeline. Make sure to bring gallon jugs for water.

"Second best would be to start walking at the border and follow a pipeline"

Could you elaborate a little more on this? How do i find said pipeline? and can i legally walk along it?
Posted By: bp3

Re: indigo snake - 03/05/21 01:11 AM

Falcon lake has a lot along the water, Louis Krum years ago owned the Red wood lodge in Zapata and had one he called his pet that stayed around the boat dock and was good at scaring the crap out of people. He was at least 7 ft long
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: indigo snake - 03/05/21 01:51 AM

There is quite a bit of area around Choke Canyon Lake that is open and I have seen Indigo's down there.
Posted By: HS2

Re: indigo snake - 03/05/21 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Talk to guys at Choke Canyon State Park, James Daughtrey WMA(34,000 acres including the lake), Chaparral WMA(15,200 acres) or maybe even Lake CC State Park to see if they can give you any help. All of these are in South Texas.

This is good advice. The state controls those WMA and limits hunting. They have biologists there and would likely let you walk around all you want.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: indigo snake - 03/05/21 05:43 PM

welcome
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: indigo snake - 03/05/21 06:17 PM

I also target reptiles with a lot of my nature photography. Can't help you with what you are looking for, but wish you luck and if you find one, post pics! Here are a couple of mine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: indigo snake - 03/05/21 10:11 PM

Good pics sir
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: indigo snake - 03/12/21 09:23 PM

[Linked Image]

thats what she said

Re: indigo snake - 03/13/21 04:47 PM

Somebody been dreaming
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: indigo snake - 03/14/21 02:41 AM

When you finally see one, youā€™ll know it. Catch one eating a rattlesnake, thereā€™s your true prize.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: indigo snake - 03/15/21 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by colt45

[Linked Image]

thats what she said

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: indigo snake - 03/25/21 03:17 PM

Laguna Atacosa NWR has a lot of indigos and about every other kind of snake you can think of. All snakes are protected there, I don't even think they would let you pick them up. Plenty of photo opportunities though.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: indigo snake - 03/25/21 03:31 PM

I hear tell that Indigos are about the prettiest snakes around. Never seen one. I ran into a coachwhip that was really pretty.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: indigo snake - 03/27/21 04:16 AM

Stick to 281 and 77 corridors. Grandpas ranch is a stones throw from anzandulas park in mission Texas. We have a ton of indigos. I am scared to death of all snakes and one scared the hell out of me once. Back in high school I was irrigating at night for grandpa since his worker couldnā€™t or wouldnā€™t show. I was getting those 2ā€ black poly pipes and sloshing them back and forth trying to get them going. about an hour into it I picked up what I thought was a hose but was an indigo. I may have sh!t my pants I donā€™t recall. It was a blur I just took off running then tumbled into the irrigation ditch. Not my finest moment.

PM me and I can tell you in the flood way where it is not private land and could have some success finding one. FYI, donā€™t be surprised if you roll up on drugs or have to contend with illegals.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: indigo snake - 03/30/21 04:12 PM

I was about 10, running around in a swamp area and realized my foot was coming down on a water moccasin. I simply extended my foot and missed him and he fortunately slid away right quick. I was sort of spooked for awhile after that. Finally got over it. Was seeing snakes all over for a while.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: indigo snake - 03/30/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Triplesnake
I also target reptiles with a lot of my nature photography. Can't help you with what you are looking for, but wish you luck and if you find one, post pics! Here are a couple of mine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

wow, that first pic "great camo" be easy to miss that one. bang...
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: indigo snake - 03/30/21 06:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Damnit! I clicked on the "active threads" tab and this photo filled my entire screen. I jumped, spit out my coffee, and just about had a heart attack. Damn you.

Prolly need to go change my underwear too.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: indigo snake - 03/31/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

[Linked Image]

Damnit! I clicked on the "active threads" tab and this photo filled my entire screen. I jumped, spit out my coffee, and just about had a heart attack. Damn you.

Prolly need to go change my underwear too.

LOL, Glad I could get your heart pumping this morning!
Posted By: chehunt

Re: indigo snake - 04/06/21 03:45 PM

Cool pics
Posted By: barndoor

Re: indigo snake - 04/06/21 08:47 PM

Good luck on your expedition! Kudo's for having dreams and a passionate. I still think you are crazy as hell for fooling with snakes. They scare the chit out of me. bolt
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: indigo snake - 04/07/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]

Me too. Here's one I caught in the back yard at camp a number of years back. How'd you like to step on one this size half asleep in the dark LOL. They are my favorite snakes, and there are lots of them around down here (this was SE Duval County). Always made me sad to get one with the shredder. Spent 25 yrs hunting this place, but no longer have access to it (so no help to the OP). This was a nice snake, but the biggest one I've seen was on the King Ranch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

looks like a King Cobra.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum