Texas Hunting Forum

Pellet pistol

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 06:39 PM

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-P137...ellet+gun&qid=1614537067&sr=8-24

I need to buy something to covertly reduce the squirrel population in my backyard as the little rat bastards have chewed holes in some of our patio furniture cushions and pull out the stuffing. We have a window I can open on the rear door for shooting access. Average shot will be less than say 40ft.

Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 06:53 PM

The .22 cal version puts a much bigger 'whump' on tree-rats, so they don't go running off to your neighbors yard with a little bitty .177 hole in them.
Only a few bucks more:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Amer...pistol+.22&qid=1614538461&sr=8-1
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 06:55 PM

There are a lot of better choices such as most any air rifle .22 caliber.
Posted By: John2

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 07:26 PM

.22 caliber air rifle for the win and less misses. up
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 08:15 PM

The pistols usually have very low velocity. Even the inexpensive air rifles usually have much more power. I've looked up the specs and the .22 version only has 460-500 fps, max, and that's probably with lightweight pellets. You really want 800 fps or more for decisive results, and that still requires head shots.

Something like this might be a reasonably priced option. I'm not saying it's the best airgun in the world, because it's not, but it should be much more decisive than any of the moderately priced pistols.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 08:21 PM

they work great but the rifles like others have mentioned would be a better option. my pistol will put a 177 through 3/8 plywood at 8-10 yards
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by John2
.22 caliber air rifle for the win and less misses. up

This.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 08:35 PM

I inherited a .177 cal. Benjamin pump pellet pistol. Won’t pump, needs to be rebuilt I guess. Are parts available?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 09:06 PM

Thanks the input... I am without a doubt a bigger hammer is always better kinda guy, but given my shooting situation and distances, pistol should be fine and will be easier to manage.

Any thoughts on if this Umarex with a suppressor kinda thing, would actually make a sound difference? Single pump for up to 600 FPS isn’t bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-Trevo...-Bundle/dp/B08HY5KK6X/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Charlie
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 09:17 PM

Definitely get a springer break barrel under 800 FPS to keep the report down in volume. .22 cal RWS 34.

https://www.airgundepot.com/rws-34-air-rifle.html

Super accurate. Read the reviews. Have fun with your decision!
Posted By: John2

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I inherited a .177 cal. Benjamin pump pellet pistol. Won’t pump, needs to be rebuilt I guess. Are parts available?

Will it pump but won't build up any pressure ?, if that's the case try some 3 in 1 oil and work it a lot.Could be something is stuck or worse if it has a rubber O ring and it's old and broken.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 09:25 PM

Baker Airguns
937-660-9152
www.bakerairguns.com
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Pellet pistol - 02/28/21 09:36 PM

the 1377 is like the ruger 10/22 VERY customizable. If customizing is not your thing then spend a little more on something ready to go. the 1377 can make some pretty good pressure if you want to get in to it, its no slouch at all....You would want the 1322 to start though on squirrels but with correct shot placement and a .177 would work as well.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 12:19 AM

Pellet rifle, a pump up is a better choice than a pistol.
Posted By: nebo

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 01:12 AM

I rebuilt and refurbish all old Sheridan and Benjamin air rifles. Buy the tools and do it yourself. The worst cal Sheridans are the king of killing with enough pellet weight and velocity to get the job done. Baker survive or J&G sales have the right parts to get it right. Always leave 1 to 2 pumps in it when you put it up and no oil except pellgun oil. All others destroy the seals. Good hunting.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 01:18 AM

I go along with the Use a rifle crowd. I have a Daisy 880 in .177 and have killed maybe 15 squirrels with it. Usually when they are creating problems at my bird feeder about. 20 yds away.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 04:48 AM

My Benjamin pellet gun (rifle) has always served me well. I’ve messed around with pellet pistols and was not impressed.
Posted By: Harkriscar

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 05:08 AM

Most definitely a .22 spring piston air rifle is your best choice. Even a .177 air rifle wounds a lot and doesn’t kill nearly as quickly. I’ve killed hundreds with mine. A pistol (especially a cheap one) doesn’t have the power or accuracy. Plus no one mentioned that once you start shooting squirrels, they will quickly learn to fear you and and be much more wary. Those easy 40 feet shots will be rare. The squirrels around my house will flee at any hint of movement or sound. They are smart. But my .22 air rifle has the range and power to reach out 30 of 40 yards. They no longer will pose at my bird feeder.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 06:16 PM

Silencers are pretty much standard on better airguns. AirForce makes the Escape SS in a .22 cal. It is a tree rat killing machine and your neighbors will never know you pulled the trigger. At 27.5" long it is not much bigger that a pistol and you can put a scope on it and not worry about destroying it like a springer will.
Posted By: LG

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/01/21 09:32 PM

I think this is the one that I have - 7 gone tree rats gone so far lol

https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Blackh...pellet+gun&qid=1614634267&sr=8-1
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/02/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Silencers are pretty much standard on better airguns. AirForce makes the Escape SS in a .22 cal. It is a tree rat killing machine and your neighbors will never know you pulled the trigger. At 27.5" long it is not much bigger that a pistol and you can put a scope on it and not worry about destroying it like a springer will.

That looks like a terrific unit, but I think the pistol originally linked cost about $49.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/03/21 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Originally Posted by HornSlayer

That looks like a terrific unit, but I think the pistol originally linked cost about $49.

Yes I know at $49 you wasting your money. Read the reviews. Those little pistolas are not made for hunting and the break barrel pistols are hard to shoot with the recoil of the spring and all.. I tried both the springer and co2 route and ended up getting into PCP Airguns . Now with a 3000psi PCP airgun pistol you can cleanly dispatch a tree rat from 80 yards with no problem. I would lean towards a Diana Bandit in 22 cal. It has a Silencer on it and is small enough it can be filled with a foot pump.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/11/21 01:22 AM

If it's a plastic one trash it if it's a good one there are companies that rebuild them. I sent a Beemam model 124 Finwickbrau (Spelling) back to a place I think in Ohio years ago to repair.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/11/21 01:24 AM

What ever you get get a 1 pump pellet rifle you'll be much happerier.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/11/21 02:41 PM

Find an old Beeman Tempest.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/12/21 08:28 PM

I'm surprised someone didn't recommend the 6.5 CM because everyone knows you can't shoot varmints with an air pistol. dead_horse I have two Benjamin rifles (.177 and .22), a Daisy rifle (.177) and a Crosman 1322 as well as the 1377. The Crosmans will give you enough energy to whack tree rats within a reasonable distance. I put a rifle stock on my 1322 and it does make for a fun little gun.

There are tons of YouTube videos on these pistols. They really are fun guns.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/13/21 03:00 AM

yep bought a rebuilding kit for my 1959 Benjamin

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/13/21 03:01 AM

does not take much to dispatch a rat. i killed a couple wood rats with my sons Daisy BB gun.

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/16/21 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by John2

Will it pump but won't build up any pressure ?, if that's the case try some 3 in 1 oil and work it a lot.Could be something is stuck or worse if it has a rubber O ring and it's old and broken.

It can be pumped, just doesn’t build pressure. It’s old, think it was built in the 60’s. It belonged to my grandfather, he passed in ‘71.

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/17/21 12:38 AM

you can get a new seal kit or you can send it to be rebuilt.

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/17/21 03:27 PM

up

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/17/21 06:55 PM

Serial # dates to 1965 manufactured date

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/17/21 11:12 PM

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/09/fix-your-benjamin-or-sheridan-pneumatic-at-home/

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/18/21 12:01 AM

It’s actually a .22 cal.

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/18/21 11:01 AM

yep paired mine with a cheap laser sight worked great for grackle thinning.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/18/21 01:56 PM

Glad to see this thread. I have an old Crosman 1400 that doesn’t hold pressure. A guy in Fort Worth has a website and says he does repairs. I gave up on trying to contact him.

Any ideas on who else to contact?
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/18/21 02:13 PM

interesting. Ive got an ancient benjamin and sheridan which won't hold pressure. Any thoughts on where to send them in for repair?
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/18/21 05:27 PM

Baker Airguns
937-660-9152
www.bakerairguns.com

I have used them in the past.

Re: Pellet pistol - 03/18/21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Glad to see this thread. I have an old Crosman 1400 that doesn’t hold pressure. A guy in Fort Worth has a website and says he does repairs. I gave up on trying to contact him.

Any ideas on who else to contact?

For parts http://www.airgunseals.com/

First do a YouTube search for the model that you have, most likely a full description is available to repair it yourself.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Pellet pistol - 04/13/21 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
My Benjamin pellet gun (rifle) has always served me well. I’ve messed around with pellet pistols and was not impressed.

my 1322 pistol can shoot 3" groups at 20 yards on sand bags. Only thing added is a steel breach. Open sights
the 1377 gets 1/2" groups , steel breach, 16" barrel, and shoulder stock. scope
Posted By: bagster

Re: Pellet pistol - 04/16/21 10:13 PM

If you have a problem with brown recluse spiders in your home, get a CO2 pistol. Wait until dark, then crawl around on the floor with a headlamp. Once you spot a spider, hold the unloaded pistol a few inches away and disintegrate that dude with compressed air. This is great fun, and will also hone your stalking skills.
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Pellet pistol - 04/16/21 11:42 PM

I trap them in ground squirrel traps, then send them off to a better life.
I have 2. I made one and a friend gave me a manufactured one.
They both work good. They are the 4 or 5 inch high, big square with 2 doors.
They lift the little door to get in, then can't get out.

That way you can't miss with any cheapo daisy air gun.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Pellet pistol - 04/29/21 12:22 AM

I just bought this...also posted it in the firearms section.

https://gamousa.com/product/swarm-b...tia-fed-22-caliber-10-shot-pellet-rifle/

I know it's a rifle, but I need to be a little more steady in my shooting.

Re: Pellet pistol - 04/29/21 12:41 AM

yes... go on line and look.I got everything i needed to rebuild a Benjamin pump rifle built in the late 50s early 60s.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Pellet pistol - 05/05/21 02:04 AM

-1 squirrel this morning. She is (rifle) "vewy vewy quiet". Whadahahahaha.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Pellet pistol - 05/05/21 11:44 AM

My 1965 Sheridan Silver Streak in 5mm does a good job on Starlings, tree rats, armadillos and coons.
AO scope that focuses down to 3 yards is a plus for yard work.
[Linked Image]

Built lots of these in .22 for folks specifically for inner city tree rat control.
Short, sweet and easy to stick out a window or door.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum