Texas Hunting Forum

Southpaw

Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Southpaw - 02/22/21 10:11 PM

How many left hand shooters on here and do you know of any places carry an good assortment of bolt rifles ?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 10:29 PM

I’m left handed.

Don’t know if any store that carries a good array most are one or two guns max. Dury’s guns may have a good selection in SA.

Other than Tikka and Weatherby I don’t know anyone who makes a left handed action anymore. Maybe browning still might
Posted By: George S

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 10:35 PM

I'm left-handed and know of no store that has any assortment of bolt rifles.

Are you looking for something in particular?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 11:26 PM

I shoot lefty with righty guns.

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by George S
I'm left-handed and know of no store that has any assortment of bolt rifles.

Are you looking for something in particular?

Yes sir would like something in one of these 25-06, 7mm-08,.308. Shooting a Tiki .270 WSM currently have Ruger in 30-06 don't really need anything just have a case of the wants.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Same here
Posted By: Steve from GA

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 11:48 PM

If you’re shooting lefty, it’s not just a matter of finding left handed rifles at a store - it’s more a matter of finding companies that build a decent selection of lefty rifles. There aren’t many that invest in lefty manufacturing. Your best may be to find what you want online and order it. I am right handed and shoot a rifle lefty. I was only interested in lefty rifles and ordered a Tikka T3X lite lefty. I am pleased. Happy hunting.

Re: Southpaw - 02/22/21 11:50 PM

yes sir I've done that too, had and old H&R single shot 25-06 traded off on a boat motor deal years back. I just rather have a left bolt instead of doing the hand shuffle thing if possible.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 12:07 AM

Lefty that shoots lefty bolt actions.

No need for a lefty for other types of rifles and shotguns.

Lefty bolt actions, you often have to order it and wait.
Posted By: Yakblue

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 01:47 AM

Not sure if they still make them but as of eight or ten years ago savage still made lefty bolt action guns, both rim fire and rifle.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 02:15 AM

Cabelas used to carry a good assortment. Ruger, Remington, Browning, Savage, Tikka, Sako, etc etc. many out there.

Wileys in Wills Point usually has 5-6, but with current demand I’m not betting on anything. When I was in there a few weeks ago they had two used and several new on the racks. I think they had 3 Ruger Americans.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 02:32 AM

Lefty here.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 03:09 AM

A couple of years ago a friends and I went to Cabelas, he was thrilled to find they had left some weapons for lefty's. He came home with 2 Savage and another, but forget the brand.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit

Same here

That's what I training my grandson to do.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 06:15 AM

Seems like you could shoot lever action either lefty or righty.......right?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 06:22 AM

I shoot all firearms left and right handed equally. I don't care what side the bolt handle is on. I actually prefer right handed bolt actions when shooting left handed because I'm holding the rifle in my left hand on the pistol grip. This was all the result of an eye injury when I was young that healed so I had to learn lefty too. I shoot doves on both shoulders depending on which way they are passing.
Posted By: George S

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 01:55 PM

Savage and Ruger offer a number of LH guns in .308 and perhaps 7mm-08, but I don't think anyone offers one in .25-06.

I had my .25-06 built for me (Rem.700 action, cryo-treated Sendero barrel, H-S Precision stock).
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 02:06 PM

Weatherby carries a decent amount of left handed rifles, I am left handed and it doesn't bother me to shoot right handed rifles since I have been doing it my whole life. I do have a left handed 870 which it's nice from the standpoint of the safety being flipped.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 02:51 PM

Lefty here. Grew up shooting right handed long guns left handed and just got used to it. I can shoot a handgun equally well with either hand.

Remington used to make 700s for lefthanders in various calibers so there are probably some lightly used ones out there.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 03:14 PM

I am a southpaw and have quite an inventory of left handed bolt guns. I started with a Savage Model 110 LH .270 in 1965 and now using a lot of Ruger LH rifles.
Thanks,
Gary
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 05:33 PM

Lefty here, but grew up in South America where it was hard enough to find rifles, so I learned to shoot righty. First time I saw a lefty rifle was when I moved to the US!
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 06:26 PM

I’m a southpaw as it pertains to writing. But I do several things right handed. Had eye surgery on left eye a couple years ago that left my eye unusable for a couple of months so I practiced shooting right handed with a scoped pellet rifle and found out it wasn’t too difficult so now that’s how I always shoot. Although for handgun, I still holster on left side because that still feels more natural.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 07:23 PM

I tried to get a sticky or a sub-forum in the Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns section a while back. It flopped with the admins. I don’t think it would see much traffic but would be a quick go to spot to check things out for us left handed shooters. Where I failed was I wanted to link left handed firearms sales from outside the forum. That’s a no no and I knew it when I ask for it, it would be a great resource though. We would also have to have permission to link to our own classifieds to consolidate left handed items, that’s currently a no in the general forums but I was hoping for it being a lefty dedicated spot.

I couldn’t get it to happen. Maybe collectively we can come up with something acceptable.

There’s lots of special runs of left handed rifles that many of us don’t know about until it’s over.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 09:23 PM

I'm a cross dominant shooter -- right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed bolts left handed. Quick cycling isn't such a thing without good rests, but it's hard to find what I want in LH version.

The hardest thing to get around is stocks built for handedness. Too many asymmetric combs/risers out that!
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 09:46 PM

Cross dominant here too, I close my left eye and shoot right handed or I shoot shotguns lefty some times. Never tried a lefty bolt gun, might work out great...
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Southpaw - 02/23/21 11:55 PM

Buds Gun Shop online usually has a good selection of southpaw stuff. I have purchased a lefty Ruger American Predator and a Tikka T3X lefty from them. Right now, the selection is pretty slim.
Posted By: Tundra Trapper

Re: Southpaw - 02/24/21 06:45 AM

I'm left handed, hard core when it comes to long guns. If you check GunBroker.com and search LH rifles you'll find a bunch of them, a lot of different makes, models and calibers.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Southpaw - 02/24/21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BassBuster1
Cross dominant here too, I close my left eye and shoot right handed or I shoot shotguns lefty some times. Never tried a lefty bolt gun, might work out great...

It would.

You can keep the rifle shouldered in any position, and maintain sight picture, and still cycle the bolt.

Not the case left hander, shooting a right hand rifle.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Southpaw - 02/28/21 03:57 PM

I'm RH and Left eye dominant. Have always shot LH, but also shoot RH.
Browning, Cooper, CZ, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Sako, Tikka, Weatherby, Winchester, and other's make or have made LH rifles for years.
Posted By: jhunter77

Re: Southpaw - 03/04/21 09:43 PM

I'm a lefty and have never shot a left handed rifle or shotgun. My few years ago one of my buddies realized it looked odd when I reload but I'm just used to it I guess. I've found most lefty rifles are more expensive than right handed ones.
Posted By: texjitter

Re: Southpaw - 03/04/21 10:06 PM

Check out Left Handed Gun in Hico, TX...plenty to choose from there. The owner is pretty old school so no inventory on their website, but he always has a good assortment on the shelves
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Southpaw - 03/04/21 10:23 PM

Lefty here too but shoot mostly right bolt guns. Did break down and buy a left handed 308 years ago and have never hunted with it. Hunt mostly with pistols now but carry some sort of rifle for pigs out of pistol range.
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Southpaw - 03/04/21 10:46 PM

I do everything lefty except shoot a bow. My favorite lefty bolt guns are savage and Remington. I have a handful of both, along with one lefty Browning medallion. They pop up for sale once in a while, and usually for pretty good prices. You just gotta keep an eye out. I dont mind shooing semi auto's in RH but there is just something more fluid with a shooting lefty with a lefty bolt gun. And when I sling carry a RH bolt gun on my left shoulder the stinking bolt always digs into my hip. I hate that. Good luck on the hunt for a good one!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Southpaw - 03/05/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Capt.JVH
I do everything lefty except shoot a bow. My favorite lefty bolt guns are savage and Remington. I have a handful of both, along with one lefty Browning medallion. They pop up for sale once in a while, and usually for pretty good prices. You just gotta keep an eye out. I dont mind shooing semi auto's in RH but there is just something more fluid with a shooting lefty with a lefty bolt gun. And when I sling carry a RH bolt gun on my left shoulder the stinking bolt always digs into my hip. I hate that. Good luck on the hunt for a good one!

I have to shoot a lefty bow too
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum